• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Working critters

Help Support Ranchers.net:

LazyWP

Reaction score
I have helped 2 different outfits, the last 2 days, and I thought they were both "horse" outfits, but NOOOO, not a horse in sight at either place. The last one even had an injured photojournalist, so we didn't even get any pictures. I was pretty much threatened not to take any of the way we gathered the last bunch. :)

You guys will have to dig for "the rest of the story"

Really?!! You mean you actually work after my cows come back home for the winter?! :shock: Just teasin ya!! you will never get Oscar saddle time if you keep workin on these so called horseless outfits! you must have been off to the northwest huh?

Allcowboyedupandnotahorseinsight600x800.jpg

All cowboyed up and not a horse in sight. :(
Butheisgoodnaturedaboutit800x600.jpg

But he is good-natured about it. :)
Hemustbearealcowboy600x800.jpg

He must be a real cowboy though, because at least he has a beer in his hand. :wink:

Three days in a row with no horses, workin critters, and all 3 of them, I thought were horse outfits. :x The first place was up on Mustang Meadows. 15 years ago, it was one of the first "ranches to store mustangs". In its hayday, I will bet it was one of the premier ranches in the country. Something like 21,000 acres, HUGE house and barn, but it has fallen into major disarray.
The second was up to Soaps place, but he will have to explain why I went up there. Something about an injured pointer finger coming from poor horsemanship, so the story goes.
Then yesterday, I went with Flyin S up to Presho SD to work 500 head of spring calves. Nothing had been cut, and I would venture to guess, out of 500 head, we cut 350 bulls. Made for a long day, but pretty entertaining, seeing as how I was working between his Missus and him.
I enjoy working cattle through chutes, but I am ready to be horse back for a time now.

LazyWP said:
Three days in a row with no horses, workin critters, and all 3 of them, I thought were horse outfits. :x The first place was up on Mustang Meadows. 15 years ago, it was one of the first "ranches to store mustangs". In its hayday, I will bet it was one of the premier ranches in the country. Something like 21,000 acres, HUGE house and barn, but it has fallen into major disarray.
The second was up to Soaps place, but he will have to explain why I went up there. Something about an injured pointer finger coming from poor horsemanship, so the story goes.
Then yesterday, I went with Flyin S up to Presho SD to work 500 head of spring calves. Nothing had been cut, and I would venture to guess, out of 500 head, we cut 350 bulls. Made for a long day, but pretty entertaining, seeing as how I was working between his Missus and him.
I enjoy working cattle through chutes, but I am ready to be horse back for a time now.

Well at least you got to wear a good lookin pair of chinks, dont hardly seem right workin cattle horseless, those 4 wheelers are mighty handy for haulin salt fencing tools etc, but aint much use around a set of pens except as a lunch wagon and injectables/tags.

good luck

We generally haul horses to Presho, but the calves were in the corral and it is 2 hour plus drive. I opted to increase my mileage and travel time. Not sure what WP is complaining about I wouldn't have let him bring cattle anyway. If I would have had the person bringing cattle to the tub at the chute we would have been short a passenger on the way home. By the way WP, we didn't lose a single calf. A long day it was indeed, I took a friend along to help castrate, but decided that I should cut all of them in case there was some loss. I always feel it easiest to take responsibilty when I know it is my mistake. All in all we had a pretty decent day and a pretty fair crew, even with an old fart and a pup that doesn't know anything.

Latest posts