• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Working Ranch Horses

Help Support Ranchers.net:

CattleCo

Reaction score
I was curious what 5-10 yr old and 2-4 yr old Ranch broke geldings are bringin g in your area?
Thanks

I think Jinglebob is about right, however I don't know of a good horse that was sound that could be bought for $1500. Not enough of 'em~supply and demand. Real good horses are hard to find. Guess if someone has one, it is not for sale except for a pretty good price.

One thing, I never feel bad when a good horse brings good money.

Hi,

I have a few horses and one in particular was seen(by neighbor) chasing a calf with the momma cow chasing behind the horse? Apparently the horse was stomping and biting at the calf. I checked all my calves and all we ok - no bit marks or injuries.
Whay would a sound horse - or so he is supposed to be - chase calves?

I never seen this myself, but I can not say my neighbor is lying either?

:???:

I don't think he is lying at all. It happens. I think maybe they are just playing with the calves, only it isn't funny when you are the calf.

My husband had a gelding as a teenager that killed sheep. He just picked 'em up by the back and tossed them around and he wound up killing some. The horse wasn't a killer by any stretch of the imagination. He somehow started this nasty little habit and just kept it up. They had to make sure he was never turned in with the sheep.

Cowgal said:
Hi,

I have a few horses and one in particular was seen(by neighbor) chasing a calf with the momma cow chasing behind the horse? Apparently the horse was stomping and biting at the calf. I checked all my calves and all we ok - no bit marks or injuries.

I've seen several horses that chase and run down small calves-- had a couple young geldings that used to run them over- broke them by putting a hobble on their front leg with about a 3 foot chunk of chain dragging behind... Seen it more with studs than anything- dog gentle stud- but with little calves would pick them up and and carry them around- throw them around.... I've also had to take colts and yearling horses out of pens with the weaned heifers or bred heifers because they would go out and start "cutting" with them on their own--Not biting or really hurting them, but doing what they were bred naturally to do on their own.......

Gosh, OT. I remember what you are talking about. We called it a "whip chain" and had to use it on an old mare that you could not catch. After about two times, she figured out how to run with it on, though, and it never caught her leg and it never slowed her down.

What a horse! She was a good one after you caught her, but catching her was something else. When my sister-in-law was a little girl, she used to love to ride her after school, but no one could catch her. She would put oats in the trough in the corral, climb up in a tree that was near the corral and wait for the old mare to come in. Just about sundown, the mare would cautiously approach the corral, go in and eat the oats. The little girl would jump out of the tree, run like heck to get the gate shut. The old mare would always beat her out the gate. She always managed to eat all the oats as well!!

Of course, things finally changed and the mare was kept up. But she and that little girl put on quite a show for awhile.

Young cow bred horses are bad about hurting calves. I usually won't run horses with cows.

If you have a 2 or 3 year old colt that is green broke with decent sheets and is well put togather, $2500 and up. A 4 to 8 year old with good sheets, well made, well trained, legit and athletic (but not yet an event horse), he's going to be worth $4000 - $8000. After 8 or 10 a horse seems to lose the event marketif he's not already doing it, but I can't remember the last jamup broke 10yo gelding I saw for sale that was sound.

If I wanted to be a horse swapper, I'd buy and start real nice 2s and 3s, and try to trade my way into some 8yo real deal horses that would otherwise never ever see town.

I have a good friend in Canada that will give $4000 - $5000 for 5,6, or 7 yo ranch geldings that are athletic andwell used. He can make one of these a started calf horse in a week, and very valuable in 4 - 6 months.

Brad S if your friend in Canada wants to contact me let me know.

Also anyone else interested I have a few 3-5 year old horses with anywhere from 30 days riding to a year plus in a feedlot type setting.

Personally I've never been able to fgure out how some prices are set on horses sometimes it seem there is a lot of high dollar junk and cheap good horses and sometimes vice versa.

Just a note to everyone out there I been reading this forum for a month or two and have really enjoyed following many of the conversations

Skrewk

Ray comes down to Kansas, Oklahome and Texas a few times a year. On any trip he may stay on a month and look at several hundred nice horses, but when he leaves, he's loaded with 8 or 10 horses that wil make good or better calf horses. Alot of the "northern " horses Ray finds too framey for his needs. He likes cow bred horses with some track blood that are15/1 or smaller, and used hard for a couple years.

"Personally I've never been able to fgure out how some prices are set on horses sometimes it seem there is a lot of high dollar junk and cheap good horses and sometimes vice versa."

Well said!

Cowgal said:
Hi,

Certain mules will do this - BIG TIME! But I am sure that they can be encouraged to alter their behavior with proper training. HOW? I have absolutely no clue! :???:

Latest posts