• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Would you use/buy one of these bulls?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

tom4018

Reaction score
17.jpg

15169753 angus

kruger1.jpg

15113483 angus

Faster horses said:
I can see them, and from what I can see, I would say they look fine.

Can't tell much from a picture, however, but what you can tell would cause me to be further interested.

What are they? What bloodlines do they carry?
Looks like you made a sale Tom. Where does Faster Horses need to send your check to and when can you deliver the bull? :D

I don't know much about Angus, but if I did, I don't think I'd be too interested in using the first one. He looks like he might be sickle-hocked, maybe it's the way he is standing?

Tom,

I'd give them a look, I don't like to evaluate picture, I like to see an animal 3 dimensionally and how it moves (Includig if the head and tail both go up, LOL).

I'd also want to know more about Birthwieght, ect..

PPRM

tom4018 said:
The first bull is a New Design 036 grandson , the second is a Kruggerand 410h son.
Tom-If you have not thrown away the rather extensive PM that I sent you three weeks ago - dig it out and read it AGAIN! Read the last paragraph two or three times, except THIS time pretend that they are in CAPITOL LETTERS! You can play this "Would you use/buy" game until Hell freezes and the basic facts of Bull Selection remain the SAME!

Also read the print-out on the pedigrees and EPD's of these bulls you have shown today and give them some serious thought.

If it is "bull-buying time" right now, it is "Bull buying time" right NOW. If it is not "Bull buying time" right now - - keep thinking!

DOC HARRIS

The first bull: http://www.angus.org/common/epd_ped_dtl.html?A=0E061F55555E45425958435E58425955435D4F40594F405C520F&B=44475D434B5B40414C

The second bull http://www.angus.org/common/epd_ped_dtl.html?A=0E061F55555E45425958435E58425955435D4F405E4F4659520F&B=44475D4441584D41

THe second bull does much better on paper and in the picture.

I reckon it goes back to what you are going to use this particular bull for. One looks to be calving ease (the second one).

Personally, I am not a fan of New Design cattle. Too many structure problems. On the other hand, Kuggerand cattle are pretty thick and I think pretty good cattle. They are a little bigger cattle; note the difference in YW. First bull is 66 YW, the other is 90 YW.

So once again it all goes back to what you need the bull for.

Another thing I noted, I think the first bull's sire is out of a very good cow family. Elverada Intense made quite a name for herself at Sitz ranch. But I have never cared for R&J cattle, and that's in there pretty close. I know nothing about Stone Gate cattle, good or bad, which is the bottom side of the second bulls pedigree. None of what I posted in this paragraph is important if you are using these bulls as a terminal cross. When you keep the replacements, that is when you need to be very careful. High EPD numbers don't always make the best cows, IMHO.

Good luck, by the way.

Latest posts