• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

WOWSERS!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

burnt

Reaction score
Modern medicine is amazing!

I've had pretty significant back issues for quite a few years due to a condition called spinal stenosis. Numbness down both legs, loss of control in my knees, pain, tingling, etc. couldn't stand long or walk any distances. Kinda tough to check cows...

Had an MRI last July and another in February which prompted my Dr, to expedite things as much as possible, resulting in a really quick surgery date with one of Canada's best spine surgeons, Dr. Kevin Gurr, only 1 1/2 hrs from home. He deserves a distinguished service award - I was his second such 4.5 hr operation of the day.

So on Thursday he opened it up, removed some arthritic growth in L4 and L5 region which was pressing in on my nerves from the back and removed a displaced disc which was squeezing in from the front of my spine, as well as installing titanium hardware to retain space and alignment of the vertebrae which had slipped out of alignment. Then after decompressing the affected nerves, zipped me up with 36 staples (wife counted them today) and a few deep sutures to close up the work site.

2 days later I had recovered enough mobility to do stairs and walk nice distances, making the physiotherapist's eyes get fairly wide. I told her that I'd lost 21 lbs. and done lotsa physio to get in the best condition possible going into this. She replied - well, it paid you back big-time!

Today Judy and I walked around the yard, looked at the cows n their babies over the gate and strolled leisurely for a while - all without pain or numbness for the first time in years! It was the first that I realized how much enjoyment of life that I had lost over the past 5 - 10 years.

So, between having a tremendous healthcare team who gave me the best treatment in the world, people who prayed for my quick and pain-free recovery, good neighbors who put the cows back in while I was waiting to come home, and best of all, a very caring wife and family who are covering all the bases while I recuperate, I feel like I am the most blessed man in the earth!

I can only recommend to anyone who has similar troubles - don't leave it too long and suffer needlessly and even perhaps permanent damage like I was headed for, according to the surgeon. We really aren't that tough or useful if we end up in a wheelchair!

Great to hear how well you're doing. :D :D

But you forgot to mention your E mail buddy that had all the "encouraging" words for you. :lol: :lol:

That Grandson will enjoy having a G'pa that can take him for walks and play soccer. :D :D

That's fantastic Burnt, I'm happy for you and yours. Enjoy your new health!

Silver said:
That's fantastic Burnt, I'm happy for you and yours. Enjoy your new health!

thank you Silver. Believe me, I'm already enjoying it!

Big Muddy rancher said:
Great to hear how well you're doing. :D :D

But you forgot to mention your E mail buddy that had all the "encouraging" words for you. :lol: :lol:

That Grandson will enjoy having a G'pa that can take him for walks and play soccer. :D :D

Watch your back there email buddy, my wife is heading west to hunt you down....
:cowboy: :lol2:

Oh that terrible socialized medicine you have.......being sarcastic....good to hear....wishing you a speedy recovery....

Well it's already 4 weeks ago today that I was heading to the hospital for the big repair job. I am still ecstatic at the quality of life that I again enjoy - walking is once again a great pleasure and standing around visiting with folks is something that no longer is a pain. I have been walking up to 3 miles a day and find a profound joy in it - might sound strange to those of you who have to spend days on your feet, but the alternative is far worse than you could imagine. I recently walked about a 1.5 mile trip through our hardwoods and actually saw the scenery for a change, where before all I could think of was finding a place to sit down to relieve the pain in my legs and hips.

Very few side effects, the most noticeable being a few cramps that hit one leg as the decompressed nerves begin to regenerate. Even that is lessening already.

So yup, I am so grateful for how good life is and how much I benefited from the "terrible socialized medicine" we have here! :wink:

The hardest part is that they are keeping me on a very short lease for a couple or 3 more weeks but I'm trying. (Very trying, Judy thinks.) But the cows are calving with only a few complications, the spring work is getting done and I am most blessed to have such a tremendously supportive family.

Latest posts