• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Wyoming Information Needed

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Cody-n-Nancy

Reaction score
Where we are currently living, and have been for three years now, is no longer for us. Actually, probably shouldn't have moved here (northern Colorado) in the first place, but. We've been up to Wyoming, as in Cheyenne, Laramie and Cody. Cheyenne and Laramie was for rodeos and Cody was for going into Yellowstone N.P. We did go to Cheyenne one time to check it out for a possible move to there, but decided against that. Cheyenne is simply too big, as is Casper. We want, if at all possible, is to see mountains in either summer or winter. Not live in mountains, only be able to see them. To be able to talk current rodeo, with those that have a large interest in it like we do. IOW, we watch the Cowboy Channel ("live" rodeos) darn near every evening and weekends.

Now, we already know about the housing shortage, so, if we can't find a house or apartment to rent, moving to anywhere in Wyoming would be a "no". We are planning on a small trip to Sheridan shortly to check things out. We want this to be our last and a good move. We are both headed into our mid 70's.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Crook county, you can see snow on the Bear Lodge, lot of small rodeos, steer roping's. Close to big rodeos shows, and barrel racing and horse racing at Campbell county Cam-Plex. Lot of ranch country and rodeos just over the Line in SD.

Crook county is working on some planning laws on 35 to 140 acre subdivisions

Sheridan is the high-rent district. Everything here costs more. Rent is high and rentals are hard to find.
We have had a major influx of people in the past 5 years. They've had to increase the amount of doctors, added another medical facility, added on to the hospital. Town is crowded, traffic is bad.
It has changed so much, and not for the better. Too many people. Sheridan was a town of 9,000; last count was close to 20,000 and the metroplex is over 30,000.

This might help.

Sheridan is the high-rent district. Everything here costs more. Rent is high and rentals are hard to find.
We have had a major influx of people in the past 5 years. They've had to increase the amount of doctors, added another medical facility, added on to the hospital. Town is crowded, traffic is bad.
It has changed so much, and not for the better. Too many people. Sheridan was a town of 9,000; last count was close to 20,000 and the metroplex is over 30,000.

This might help.

Well, even 30,000 is less than where we currently live of around 80,000. And, where we use to live in northeastern Florida aka Jacksonville, it was a little over 900,000 and now is over 1,000,000.
Not looking for a population like Casper or Cheyenne has, but not the population of Crook County, Wyoming either.
As far as "the town (Sheridan) being crowded, it wouldn't be nearly as bad as where we live and the traffic here.........well, it flows, but extremely slow. You think Wyoming is growing, you should see Larimer County, as in Loveland and Ft Collins. The freeway is being made bigger in anticipation of the influx of the "working class" that will be moving here. There is a very large Amazon building going in right next the I-25 in-between Loveland and Ft Collins. It's huge!!
If a person wants to live in a safer area, they will have to pay for that today. A "high-rent district" isn't as bad as some think.
We are still going to check it out and decide from there.

But, we do need a VA Clinic or Hospital, since I'm a Navy (Vietnam) Veteran. Wife and I are also on Medicare, so we are covered there. As far as "big box" stores go, we do a lot of ordering online nowadays. IOW, we get along with Amazon very, very good!
Perhaps Sheridan will be too small for us, just don't know until we visit. If so, we simply continue to look and research.

Well, Faster horses, we have roundabouts here. One street goes into a circle and you have four outlets. We have 4-way Stops as well. None of this bothers either of us. I'm fully retired and, currently, my wife works from home. Neither of us will ever work away from home again.
As for vehicle registration, our Durango is a 2005 w/177,000 on it and yearly registration is $75. Yes, you read right, $75.00.

Now, please remember, we are only visiting in a couple of weeks. We won't determine anything, until after we visit.
And, there are those that don't like changes to town or city and those that changes don't bother. When we visit, we will determine what is good for us and what isn't good for us. We know why we want to leave where we are and, we feel, that darn near anywhere in Wyoming would be better than where we are here. However, for us, not Casper or Cheyenne.

I suggest you call Sheridan Courthouse and check on what it costs to register your 2005 Durango.
I guarantee it will be more than $75. And could be a LOT more.
Cheyenne spent money betting on the come and their silk purse (energy) has flown the coop (thanks to Biden and crew.)
Too many liberals in our government. Wyoming is in trouble.

I suggest you call Sheridan Courthouse and check on what it costs to register your 2005 Durango.
I guarantee it will be more than $75. And could be a LOT more.
Cheyenne spent money betting on the come and their silk purse (energy) has flown the coop (thanks to Biden and crew.)
Too many liberals in our government. Wyoming is in trouble.
Well, whatever they charge, if we end up moving there, we will pay.

Ya but it's where real cowboys hang out.
Well, we are talking the "rodeo" type, not necessarily the "ranch" type. However, the "ranch" type of their own rodeo organization called WRCA and we've been to that kind of rodeo before. Really cool, but still not PRCA and all of the money those contestants get/can get. PRCA is what I was with for 15+ years, as a "weekend warrior" type. I had a full-time job in electronics manufacturing and done my roping thing on weekends.

Now, as far as the "ranching" type being called "real cowboys", I do believe that, but I also believe in the "rodeo" type. Rodeo Stock Contractors employees are "real" cowboys to me as well.

Well, whatever they charge, if we end up moving there, we will pay.
Plan on $1800/month to rent a house. Upwards of $1000/month to rent an apartment.
I have a friend in low-income housing. Her rent is $575/mo PLUS all utilities.
Just an FYI. I'd hate for you to get a shock (or a rude awakening).

Housing is in short supply, thus the law of supply and demand.
New shacks are going up to accommodate the people moving here.

Well, we are talking the "rodeo" type, not necessarily the "ranch" type. However, the "ranch" type of their own rodeo organization called WRCA and we've been to that kind of rodeo before. Really cool, but still not PRCA and all of the money those contestants get/can get. PRCA is what I was with for 15+ years, as a "weekend warrior" type. I had a full-time job in electronics manufacturing and done my roping thing on weekends.

Now, as far as the "ranching" type being called "real cowboys", I do believe that, but I also believe in the "rodeo" type. Rodeo Stock Contractors employees are "real" cowboys to me as well.
Sheridan has ONE PRCA rodeo. It's in July and it has turned into a big drunk. We don't even go.
Gillette has lots of rodeo events in their Cam-Plex.
Hardly anyone in Sheridan wears a cowboy hat so be prepared for that.
Kaycee is the only real 'cowboy' town I know of in WY.
Sheridan no longer is a cowboy town or a Cowtown, it's gone the way of yuppies.
It is way different than it used to be. WAY DIFFERENT.

Plan on $1800/month to rent a house. Upwards of $1000/month to rent an apartment.
I have a friend in low-income housing. Her rent is $575/mo PLUS all utilities.
Just an FYI. I'd hate for you to get a shock (or a rude awakening).

Housing is in short supply, thus the law of supply and demand.
New shacks are going up to accommodate the people moving here.
$1800 to rent a house and upwards of $1000 to rent an apartment...........that would be Heaven compared to what we have paid in the past for a 2 bedroom/2 bath apartment!

Currently, we pay $1700 for a 2-bedroom/2-bath 1st floor apartment, $110 for a fully enclosed garage and $55 for utilities. And, we live in a very nice apartment complex, that is compared to complexes around us.

Like I've already stated, Wyoming is cheap compared to where we lived before here in Colorado, North Carolina (Huntersville) and northeastern Florida aka Jacksonville.

But, if we can't find a place to live there, we won't move there, no matter how much we could like the area.

Sheridan has ONE PRCA rodeo. It's in July and it has turned into a big drunk. We don't even go.
Gillette has lots of rodeo events in their Cam-Plex.
Hardly anyone in Sheridan wears a cowboy hat so be prepared for that.
Kaycee is the only real 'cowboy' town I know of in WY.
Sheridan no longer is a cowboy town or a Cowtown, it's gone the way of yuppies.
It is way different than it used to be. WAY DIFFERENT.
Well, we found out that there are those that live in Cheyenne that leave Cheyenne during CFD. To us, when there is a big/major rodeo in town, there is going to be a lot of folks, local and tourist, as well as plenty of traffic. Not a big deal to us. I mean, talk about traffic, etc., last December we were in Las Vegas for the NFR. Didn't go to the NFR, but did watch on big screen tv at South Pointe. Plenty of traffic and people, but that Las Vegas.

As far as the Sheridan rodeo being a "big drunk", we highly doubt that. But, if you are talking about the fans, that could be true, but "oh well".

As far as "hardly anyone in Sheridan wears a cowboy hat", perhaps if we move there, that will change! We love wearing ours and will wear when we so desire.

As far as the "yuppies" go, that is happening in a lot of cities and small towns today. Again, they don't bother us............that much, anyway. IOW, Sheridan isn't necessarily a retirement city.

There are those, especially Seniors, that don't like change, but nothing can be done about it. Just ask anyone about how much Cheyenne has changed and is changing. Again, "but"...........

And, btw, most cities, big and small, only have one PRCA rodeo.

Not sure where to put this, but it's so funny I had to share it.

Truly funny and ridiculous! Big city folks, and even some small city folks, have to learn things that can prevent them from getting hurt and where they are driving to. The family wasn't at a drive-through zoo.

IOW, Faster horses, everyone in every state is going to have their opinions of where they live. Some folks will love it, while others wish they could move, but for whatever reasons can't.

During the summer months, we can look like "Yuppies", even at our ages of 73/74. Shorts, t-shirt, walking shoes and a baseball cap. IOW, there are times we don't look "Western" at all. Someone could easily look at me and say "you were in professional rodeo, but you look like that?" The answer would be "yep!", it's what is called "summer attire".

Latest posts