• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Xmas poem #3

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Saddletramp

Reaction score
OK, this is the last one for this year ( cause I don't have all that many christmas poems) so I hope you enjoy it and you all have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Luke 2: 1-20

We were holding a herd, late in the season, outside of Bethlehem town.
The stars were bright on a cold clear night; the stock was pretty well bedded down.
The town was a-jumpin', people came from all over, they milled like sheep in a pen.
By Roman decree, a census was took, old Quirinius was governor then.

So our camp was a ways from the hustle & bustle, it was peaceful out there in the snow.
Most of us boys was rolled in our beds & in the distance the city lights glowed.
The first guard was circling, singin' to the herd. Their voices were a bass & a treble.
One was a-singin "Green Grow The Lilacs" & the other "A Good Old Rebel."

When all of a sudden the whole sky done lit up & something flew by with a swish.
The nighthawks were yelling "Roll out all you Jaspers. You'd better come quick & see this."
We ran to the herd, it was too bright to see good. Them critters stampeded we feared.
But they were still bedded down & as we looked around…An Angel of God appeared.

He said, "Don't be afraid, I bring you good news, for tonight the Messiah is born!
Great joy for all people. In that town of David, you'll find him there, Christ the Lord.
And then as a sign, in a stable you'll find, this child lying in a manger.
And peace & good will to all men on earth on whom God rests his favor."

Then more angels came and together they sang "Glory to God on high".
And then they were gone and the crew stood alone as we all stared up in the sky.
Well, the boss looked at me and I looked at Jim with a bewildered look on my mug.
Old Slim was a sweatin'. The Kid, he looked spooked & poor Cookie, he swallered his plug.

I said "Run in them horses and rope 'em out quick, cause I don't know about you,
But I'm saddlin' my bronc & heading to town to see if what we heard was true."
Well, we done left our herd and into the night we loped toward them city lights.
Sure enuff we found on the far side of town that barn that held such a sight.

We shuffled in close & took off our hats. We excused ourselves cause we were strangers.
A maid and her husband sat in the glow of a lamp & between them…a babe in a manger.
We knelt in the straw and told what we saw and how it gave us a start.
Bout the Angel we heard & the glory we seen,the mother pondered these things in her heart

Well we hung around and we shared with them folks and the baby we took turns to hold.
We're just men that tend stock, but we felt kind of special, cause we're the first to be told.
And for the rest of my years, I'll remember that night and I'll tell of the things that I seen.
How this cowboy's heart melted when I knelt by that feed box…& met my Savior & King.

By Saddletramp Ó 2000

Good one ST!I don 't think I've ever had this one on here yet and as ST said, I ain't got many, so this is the last one from me. Everyone have a Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year!

The Gift

It had been bitter cold, for three long days
The wind blew sharp and swirled snow
So I bundled up, with lots'a clothes
'Cause I had somewhere I needed to go

I caught and harnessed my work mares
The harness was so stiff, it wouldn't bend
I warmed up the bits, 'fore I hung 'em on
On a cold day, you'll do that for a friend

And them ol' mares, are good ol' girls
They give me, everything that they've got
Not too many friends would go willingly outside
Then line right out, in a trot

Those hungry cows was sure glad to see us
They went right to work, on their hay
You know, when it's 24 below and breezy
You ain't just feedin' them cows for the pay

At least not the pay that the bankers loan out
But there are rewards, in the job that you do
So I drug out extra feed, 'cause it's Christmas eve
And I hummed a Christmas carol or two

When the cows were fed, we jogged on home
I poured a good feed of grain for the team
Most folks wouldn't enjoy my kind of lifestyle
That's O.K., 'cause I'm livin' my dream

And I think about a babe in a manger
As I fill my manger, full of hay
I think about all the people in the world
And how they all celebrate this day

Some folks enjoy Christmas, because of the gifts
And I sure don't think that's all wrong
But most'a the gifts, they give and receive
Are forgotten, 'fore the New Year comes along

The gift that I'm most thankful for
Is gettin' to ranch, not punchin' a time-clock
And strangely enough, goin' out in the cold
With a good team, to feed, my hungry stock

This is one of the few Christmas poems I've ever written And it's all true.

As usual Ol' Jinglebob always comes through. I figured if I dangle the hook my compadre would come up with a keeper. Thanks Pard and Merry Christmas from our range to yours.

Saddletramp said:
As usual Ol' Jinglebob always comes through. I figured if I dangle the hook my compadre would come up with a keeper. Thanks Pard and Merry Christmas from our range to yours.

Right back at you! :)

Man, I can hardly wait for the end of January. Sounds like Jr Bob is going to be here to do chores and the missus has taken the time off, so we should have a blast! :lol:

Give your miissus a squeeze from us and have a real nice Hanucka!Or Festivus! Or Quanza! Or whatever you are going to do! :lol:

Those are both great poems guys, you both dun good. have a merry Christmas

Latest posts