• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Y'all

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Sierraman

Reaction score
Just wondering what you guys thought of this word. A lot of y'all are spelling it ya'll. I really don't care, but looked it up anyway. Here's what I found. I think Y'all is more correct.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/y%27all

I guess I just feel like looking things up today. Practicing for college I guess.

HAHA....to be honest.....well this should be no surprise, but I never said Ya'll until i got to Texas....now that I think is a Texas thang :wink:

And I dunno i just started spelling it "Ya'll"????

I usually say "You Guys" instead of Ya'll...no matter if it is a room of kids, women, men, dogs, horses, or whatever.

You Guys...it goes alone with my pop and "crick", and the kink i get in my neck :wink:

If you go back to that dictionary site, and put in disagreeable's niuckname "dis" and read the first two defintions, you'll get a good look at where the spew that he says comes from!. :D

reader (the Second) said:
TXTibbs said:
HAHA....to be honest.....well this should be no surprise, but I never said Ya'll until i got to Texas....now that I think is a Texas thang :wink:

And I dunno i just started spelling it "Ya'll"????

I usually say "You Guys" instead of Ya'll...no matter if it is a room of kids, women, men, dogs, horses, or whatever.

You Guys...it goes alone with my pop and "crick", and the kink i get in my neck :wink:

i switched from "you guys" to "y'all" in Texas. It's one of the Texasisms I can't get rid of. Another one is "thang" like that baggy filled with water thang that Jersey Lilly rightfully commented on. :wink: :wink:

When i worked at Eldorado, Texas, a lady there who worked in our office with me for like 2 years, she wrote an entire page of what she called Levi'isms, but most of them are South Dakota'isms. It is quite humerious, cause it is just how i talk, but she thought i sounded plumb crazy.

I know one word i'd say she always got after me for was "Swole". To me its a normal word....but she informed me its not in the dictionary!!! But I'll say for example..."Gee, look how swole that leg is.......i guess correctly its "swolen", but Swole is what i say.

Another big one was how I say "Gaunt"....I say Gaint! "Look how drawded up and gaint that calf looks" (see thats a perfectly normal sentence!!) But i caught hell for saying it :wink: Everyone up home i think says Gaint instead of Gaunt......i think or else why would i say it???

Anyway the list goes on and on....

Down here you have to not only listen to pronunciations but "ACCENTS" on certain words as well.

Example:

1- He been married. - Meaning-he was married at one time but is no longer.

2- He BEEN married. Meaning, he has been married for a long time.

3- HE been married. Meaning, his wife is married, but he fools around.

swole...I use that word too..in the same context that Tibbs uses it...but also in another context.
What's a matter? You swole up? (meaning huffy, po'd, mad)

Father in law used it.....same question totally different meaning. What's a matter? You swole up? ( meaning..are you ummmm with child?) hehehehe

Long time ago we made a trip north up thru the dakota's into canada, I was about 5 or 6 years old. ( I said Longgggg time ago) lol
But anyway...."Howdy" is just somethin we say when greetin folks, I remember goin into several cafe's on our many stops and before we knew it there'd be several people round our table..askin us to..."say somethin texan" Happened more after we got up into canada......

N..what's up with open faced hamburger??? not one time up there did we find a place that knew how to put the other bun on top of the thing with all the goodies inside...ya hadda do it yerself. thang covered the entire plate...

Mike said:
Down here you have to not only listen to pronunciations but "ACCENTS" on certain words as well.

Example:

1- He been married. - Meaning-he was married at one time but is no longer.

2- He BEEN married. Meaning, he has been married for a long time.

3- HE been married. Meaning, his wife is married, but he fools around.

Now that's what I'd call down right confusing. I don't get #3 a'tall.

Here is an East coast tri-state difference: Pennsylvanians "go down the shore". Delawareans "go to the beach." And Marylanders "go to the ocean." We have no idea why the difference. No real accent problems except Northern Shore Marylanders have some different ways (a fire engine has a loud SI-REEEN.) But they have great crabs so we let them off the hook about their pronunciation!

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
N..what's up with open faced hamburger??? not one time up there did we find a place that knew how to put the other bun on top of the thing with all the goodies inside...ya hadda do it yerself. thang covered the entire plate...

Presentation, would be my guess. Can't see the juice and colors thru the bun.
Speaking of which, I better put some food on the table or MY buns will be endangered.. :wink:

Difference

between a northern girl and a southern girl.

A northern girl says "you can"
A southern girl says "y'all can"

A cowboy from Haskell, Texas was in basic training at Fort Ord when I was in 1972. It tickled me that he "graduated from haskell (high school) from Haskell, Texas." Both "high school" and "Haskell" sounded identically the same. :???: :? :)

Kinda like the Texas lady with PSDS, you know "pierced ears". :wink:

My wife's aunt was born and raised in Alabama, but she went to college in Lincoln, Nebraska. She had a cute southern way of pronouncing "ice cream" and the northern Yankee boys would often buy her an ice cream cone just to hear her ask for one.

Latest posts