• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Yardage and Feeding Costs

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Radar

Reaction score
I am looking for some info for yardage and feeding costs of commercial stocker and/or finishing feed yards. Does anyone know a have or know of a good source of info for this? Thanks in advance.

Where do you live??? In the Columbia Basin, yardage seems to run about 23 cents per day. Cost per pound varies with gain has been my experience,

PPRM

In Iowa, yardage runs 23-25 cents per day. Cost of gain this last year with corn prices down has been running(includes yardage) 44-46 cents per pound of gain. If you have enclosed confinements, it can run 27-30 cents per day yardage.

I just tend to worry about your final cost of gain-some yards charge less yardage but markup their feed etc. It's the bottomline C.O.G that tells you the real answer. By the way those yardage costs are quite a bit higher than we pay up here but C.O.G looks fairly close is that including all costs.

That included all costs. My advice to anyone that puts cattle in custom lots is that you really need to trust the people your are dealing with.

I know of one by Marshall,MN. If that is the state you are looking at, I can PM you the number.

feed costs have been pretty cheap around here for some, seems we have a few guys stealing hay bales!

lucky for us, they only take the round ones. one neighbor has a bullet he claims to have painted on it "thanks for shopping" and he intends to plant it in the truck they drive if he ever catches them!

Not sure what the yardage fee is here in indiana but need to find out gonna start feeding some calves and replacment heifers for some neighbors. They are about 450 pounds and gonna run them to 750. So everybody throw in there imput. Please!!

Shorthorn,

You are Backgrounding. The ration tends to be less energyfor this. In our area, the cost (including yardage) tends to be in the mid $40/cwt range. In Roseburg Oregon, they charge on the gain, up to $38/cwt I hear. This is very viable to winter calves. The key to backgrounding is there's lots of low cost feeds that will work when you are framing them vs fattening them.

Things change when calves are fed the last 90 days. Costs hit around $50.00 cwt. This is reflective of a higher proportion of grain. I think our finish costs tend to be lower because we have a lot of food processing wastes,

PPRM

PPRM said:
Shorthorn,

You are Backgrounding. The ration tends to be less energyfor this. In our area, the cost (including yardage) tends to be in the mid $40/cwt range. In Roseburg Oregon, they charge on the gain, up to $38/cwt I hear. This is very viable to winter calves. The key to backgrounding is there's lots of low cost feeds that will work when you are framing them vs fattening them.

Things change when calves are fed the last 90 days. Costs hit around $50.00 cwt. This is reflective of a higher proportion of grain. I think our finish costs tend to be lower because we have a lot of food processing wastes,

PPRM[/quote
I thought that would be a little differant price but wasant sure. I just wanted to be fair to my neighbors. I have the facilitys to do this and feed every day anyway with the fair calves and my own weaned calves. So thanks for the imput pprm

Latest posts