• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

yellow black mouth curs

Help Support Ranchers.net:

cowgetter said:
any of you out there use these dogs and what blood lines
Yes, we use them, and would be in a fix without them. I think we have some weathaford ben blood in some dogs. We cull real hard and nothing but gritty dogs stay on the feed bill. What part of the country are you in?

I was wanting to get a dog to help with my cows. I only have a few cows and I want a dog to help with them. Especially if the cows got out I want a dog to help round them up and put them up. I have a black mouth cur that I hunt with and I thought of trying to get him to help herd them and just use him to help with them. I wanted to see what he would do and he would go right after them but he wants to pick one and catch it instead of herding. I know he or any pup would need training but how do you keep them from picking one and catching it? Basically how do you work with one to get it started? Will they go out and bring them into you or do they just find them and herd them up so that you can move them where you want them? Sorry for the long post but I'm just looking for information. Oh yeah the dog that I have is Ladner blood line and I realy like him. He is really gritty. I don't think he fears anything.

BMC96

bmc96 said:
I was wanting to get a dog to help with my cows. I only have a few cows and I want a dog to help with them. Especially if the cows got out I want a dog to help round them up and put them up. I have a black mouth cur that I hunt with and I thought of trying to get him to help herd them and just use him to help with them. I wanted to see what he would do and he would go right after them but he wants to pick one and catch it instead of herding. I know he or any pup would need training but how do you keep them from picking one and catching it? Basically how do you work with one to get it started? Will they go out and bring them into you or do they just find them and herd them up so that you can move them where you want them? Sorry for the long post but I'm just looking for information. Oh yeah the dog that I have is Ladner blood line and I realy like him. He is really gritty. I don't think he fears anything. Hello BMC, I WILL TRY TO ANSWER SOME OF YOUR QUESTIONS. NUMBER ONE, CUR DOGS ARE PACK DOGS, I NEVER GO OUT WITHOUT AT LEAST THREE DOGS, EVEN IF ONE IS A PUP.IF YOU ARE RUNNING GRITTY DOGS,YOU NEED TO RUN E-COLLARS ON THEM.I HOPE YOUR DOG IS CATCHING THE BREAKOUT COW THAT TRIES TO LEAVE THE HERD, HIS INSTINCT SHOULD BE TO DO THIS NOT YOU TEACHING HIM. IF THIS IS THE CASE, YOU CAN FIX IT VERY EASY WITH A COLLAR. TEACHING HIM THAT AS SOON AS HE TURNS HER BACK INTO THE HERD HE HAS TO GET OFF HER. SOME PEAPLE TRY TO WORK COWS WITH THE SAME DOGS THEY HUNT WITH, I DONT LIKE THIS. THE DOG WILL NOT DISCRIMINATE BETWEEN GAME AND COWS, TO HIM ITS ALL HUNTING. SO WHAT HAPPENS ON A HUNT WHEN YOUR DOG WINDS A COW? HES GONNA BAY HER UP, AND EXPECT YOU TO PRAISE HIM, NOT BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF HIM. IN OUR PART OF THE WORLD THERE ARE ENOUGH CUR DOGS SO THAT THERE ARE OLD LINES OF COWBRED DOGS AND HOG HUNTING LINES. SOME HANDS WORK COWS AND PIG HUNT BUT THEY WILL HAVE A SET OF COWDOGS AND A SET OF HOGDOGS. OUR DOGS WORK SOMTHING LIKE THIS, ITS USUALLY A MESQUITE PASTURE, SO YOU HAVE TO LET THE DOGS FIND THE CATTLE BY WINDING THEM, SO YOU TRY TO START ON THE DOWN-WIND SIDE OF THE PASTURE OUR REAL GRITTY DOGS WALK BEHIND THE HORSES WITH THE COMMAND OF (DOGS NAME) GET BEHIND ME. OUR SHORT RANGE SCOUT TYPE DOGS WILL RANGE OUT ABOUT 50 YARDS AHEAD WITH THE COMMAND OF (DOGS NAME) GET AHEAD. IF THE SCOUT DOGS DONT WIND OR JUMP SOMTHING THEY WILL CIRCLE BACK TO YOU EVERY NOW AND THEN AND WE SEND THEM BACK OUT WITH THE GET AHEAD COMMAND. IF WE HEAR THE SCOUT DOGS BAY AHEAD OF US THEN WE KNOW THEY ARE ON COWS AND SEND THE REST OF THE DOGS WITH THE COMMAND OF GET EM WHICH IS MORE PERMISSION TO GO THAN A COMMAND. THE DOGS WILL BAY THE LOOSE CATTLE INTO A BALL WE CALL THE BAY-UP. COOL THING IS, OTHER CATTLE WILL COME OUT OF THE BRUSH TOWARD THE BAY-UP TO SEE WHATS GOING ON, AND THE DOGS WILL ROLL THEM INTO THE BAY-UP. AT THIS POINT THE DOGS SHOULD ONLY GRAB A BREAKOUT AND THEY ARE ALL WEARING COLLARS, SO THEY WILL RUN CIRCLES AROUND THE BAY-UP LOOKING FOR A BREAKOUT.THIS IS WHERE YOU START TRAINING YOUR COWS, AND MOVING THEM IN THE DESIRED LOCATION AT THE SAME TIME BY LETTING THEM DRIFT IN FRONT OF YOU IN THE DESIRED DIRECTION,IF THE COWS GET TO MOVING FASTER THAN A WALK THEY GET BAYED UP AGIN. THEN ARE ALLOWED TO WALK OUT AGAIN. THIS GETS REPEATED SEVERAL TIMES UNTIL THE COWS ARE AT A SLOW WALK WITH YOU BEHIND THEM. ONCE YOU GET THEM DOG BROKE THEY KNOW IF THEY LEAVE THE SAFTY OF THE HERD THEY WILL GET DOGGED AND THEY KNOW IF THEY RUN THEY WILL GET DOGGED. SO THEN YOU CAN PUSH THEM ANYWHERE YOU WANT AT A NICE SLOW WALK.THE BEST CUR DOG HANDS TAKE THERE TIME AND LET THE DOGS TRAIN THE CATTLE. BEFORE THEY START TRYING TO MOVE THEM. ONCE YOU GET A SET OF COWS GOOD AND DOG-BROKE YOU CAN RIDE OUT BY YOURSELF WITH A COUPLE DOGS AND THE COWS WILL BAY-UP FOR YOU BEFORE YOU OR THE DOGS EVEN GET TO THEM. THERE ARE OTHER WAYS TO WORK CURS, AND IM SURE NOT THE BEST AT IT, BUT THIS WORKS FOR US. IM SURE I DIDNT ANSWER ALL YOUR QUESTIONS, HOPEFULLY SOME. LATER ....ROPES.

BMC96

That was interesting. :D
I will try to put in a easier to read format. I hope.

Hello BMC, I WILL TRY TO ANSWER SOME OF YOUR QUESTIONS. NUMBER ONE, CUR DOGS ARE PACK DOGS, I NEVER GO OUT WITHOUT AT LEAST THREE DOGS, EVEN IF ONE IS A PUP.IF YOU ARE RUNNING GRITTY DOGS,YOU NEED TO RUN E-COLLARS ON THEM.I HOPE YOUR DOG IS CATCHING THE BREAKOUT COW THAT TRIES TO LEAVE THE HERD, HIS INSTINCT SHOULD BE TO DO THIS NOT YOU TEACHING HIM. IF THIS IS THE CASE, YOU CAN FIX IT VERY EASY WITH A COLLAR. TEACHING HIM THAT AS SOON AS HE TURNS HER BACK INTO THE HERD HE HAS TO GET OFF HER. SOME PEAPLE TRY TO WORK COWS WITH THE SAME DOGS THEY HUNT WITH, I DONT LIKE THIS. THE DOG WILL NOT DISCRIMINATE BETWEEN GAME AND COWS, TO HIM ITS ALL HUNTING. SO WHAT HAPPENS ON A HUNT WHEN YOUR DOG WINDS A COW? HES GONNA BAY HER UP, AND EXPECT YOU TO PRAISE HIM, NOT BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF HIM. IN OUR PART OF THE WORLD THERE ARE ENOUGH CUR DOGS SO THAT THERE ARE OLD LINES OF COWBRED DOGS AND HOG HUNTING LINES. SOME HANDS WORK COWS AND PIG HUNT BUT THEY WILL HAVE A SET OF COWDOGS AND A SET OF HOGDOGS. OUR DOGS WORK SOMTHING LIKE THIS, ITS USUALLY A MESQUITE PASTURE, SO YOU HAVE TO LET THE DOGS FIND THE CATTLE BY WINDING THEM, SO YOU TRY TO START ON THE DOWN-WIND SIDE OF THE PASTURE OUR REAL GRITTY DOGS WALK BEHIND THE HORSES WITH THE COMMAND OF (DOGS NAME) GET BEHIND ME. OUR SHORT RANGE SCOUT TYPE DOGS WILL RANGE OUT ABOUT 50 YARDS AHEAD WITH THE COMMAND OF (DOGS NAME) GET AHEAD. IF THE SCOUT DOGS DONT WIND OR JUMP SOMTHING THEY WILL CIRCLE BACK TO YOU EVERY NOW AND THEN AND WE SEND THEM BACK OUT WITH THE GET AHEAD COMMAND. IF WE HEAR THE SCOUT DOGS BAY AHEAD OF US THEN WE KNOW THEY ARE ON COWS AND SEND THE REST OF THE DOGS WITH THE COMMAND OF GET EM WHICH IS MORE PERMISSION TO GO THAN A COMMAND. THE DOGS WILL BAY THE LOOSE CATTLE INTO A BALL WE CALL THE BAY-UP. COOL THING IS, OTHER CATTLE WILL COME OUT OF THE BRUSH TOWARD THE BAY-UP TO SEE WHATS GOING ON, AND THE DOGS WILL ROLL THEM INTO THE BAY-UP. AT THIS POINT THE DOGS SHOULD ONLY GRAB A BREAKOUT AND THEY ARE ALL WEARING COLLARS, SO THEY WILL RUN CIRCLES AROUND THE BAY-UP LOOKING FOR A BREAKOUT.THIS IS WHERE YOU START TRAINING YOUR COWS, AND MOVING THEM IN THE DESIRED LOCATION AT THE SAME TIME BY LETTING THEM DRIFT IN FRONT OF YOU IN THE DESIRED DIRECTION,IF THE COWS GET TO MOVING FASTER THAN A WALK THEY GET BAYED UP AGIN. THEN ARE ALLOWED TO WALK OUT AGAIN. THIS GETS REPEATED SEVERAL TIMES UNTIL THE COWS ARE AT A SLOW WALK WITH YOU BEHIND THEM. ONCE YOU GET THEM DOG BROKE THEY KNOW IF THEY LEAVE THE SAFTY OF THE HERD THEY WILL GET DOGGED AND THEY KNOW IF THEY RUN THEY WILL GET DOGGED. SO THEN YOU CAN PUSH THEM ANYWHERE YOU WANT AT A NICE SLOW WALK.THE BEST CUR DOG HANDS TAKE THERE TIME AND LET THE DOGS TRAIN THE CATTLE. BEFORE THEY START TRYING TO MOVE THEM. ONCE YOU GET A SET OF COWS GOOD AND DOG-BROKE YOU CAN RIDE OUT BY YOURSELF WITH A COUPLE DOGS AND THE COWS WILL BAY-UP FOR YOU BEFORE YOU OR THE DOGS EVEN GET TO THEM. THERE ARE OTHER WAYS TO WORK CURS, AND IM SURE NOT THE BEST AT IT, BUT THIS WORKS FOR US. IM SURE I DIDNT ANSWER ALL YOUR QUESTIONS, HOPEFULLY SOME. LATER ....ROPES.

That was a very good reply Tworopes. Some guys leave there curs out front when taking cattle to the pen(lead dogs). Down in Florida most guys call thier dogs in behind them unless something runs off again. As Ropes said, after the set of cows you are working is dog broke, you can handle the style you choose. Like Tworopes said, don't start to drive the set until dogs have them bunched up and settled. I have a litter of pups now out of pretty good kind of cow dog parents. Will try to post pic if anybody interested call me or pm me. Thanks, Paul

Latest posts