• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Yorkshire

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Pumpkin1456

Reaction score
If anyone is interested here's a few pictures from my side. Couple pictures of the cattle (limousine, simmental beef stock for the main part) we also have around 600 head of sheep running the higher heather clad ground from spring gathering back in October time ready to lamb in the lowlands/lambing sheds around March so they're by the farm and easy to spy when they inevitably decide to try to die. We have swaledale sheep, they do well on the high ground, easy keepers, have less lambing issues and they are good mothers. BUT I'm not a sheep fan, my heart's with me coos.

We like to bring the cattle down off the higher fell during winter so we can hay them. Bring them to the lower grassier areas. Frank is our main bull which you should see in the pictures, I think he's great, he's a colourful character, you have to be very careful with him and bold as brass with your attitude, that guy can smell fear and never forgets who he can run up the wall!

My daily routine is too long to put here, I would need a separate post! Sundays are always a great day though! I cook a roast dinner for everyone. Today I gave in and made my first batch of mince pies!

These are today's couple of pictures. It was too warm to be November!

IMG_20221113_112030.jpg

IMG_20221113_113039.jpg

Some other pictures:

Screenshot_20221113-102918.jpg

Screenshot_20221113-102656.jpg

IMG_20210923_123603.jpg

IMG_20211018_124136.jpg

^^^ precious maize shower haha!

Frank:
Screenshot_20221113-102855.jpg

Gives you an idea of what it's like in my world! :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221113-102656.jpg
    Screenshot_20221113-102656.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Thank you, that is great! Would love to come see that someday. If you look around on here there are tons of pictures.

One of the things that interests me is the rock walls (fences). Who built them and how long ago were they built.
Me to and how were they built that frost doesn't heave or knock them down overtime. Our field stones are round so hard to stack them into something useful

The spiny grasses are rushes. They're useless for fodder and tend to be on wetter ground. Sheep use them for a bit of shelter and warmth, lambs like playing in them, can be good for Bambi to wait in for mother return too!

Dry-stone walls are incredible. Some date back centuries. Built as boundaries, small sections do fall down sometimes, usually when town folk come roaming and hop them instead of using the designated gates but there are people called dry stone Wallers here. It's an art and they can build so quickly, amazing to watch. The stones are all different shapes and sizes but it's worth a youtube session!

The spiny grasses are rushes. They're useless for fodder and tend to be on wetter ground. Sheep use them for a bit of shelter and warmth, lambs like playing in them, can be good for Bambi to wait in for mother return too!

Yours must be different than our Soapweed because I can't imagine anything wanting to lie down in them. Do yours get blossoms?
Oh, if only Soapweed (nickname for Steve Moreland) was here to get in on this discussion!!

They look like the rushes we had in western Washington. They do like wetter climate.
Sedges have edges rushes are round!

"Sedges have edges, rushes are round, grasses have knees that bend to the ground." This little witty rhyme may be used to separate these three plants into there correct category. The stems of sedges and rushes are solid; in cross-section the stems of rushes are round, while those of sedges are triangular and so have edges.

Yours must be different than our Soapweed because I can't imagine anything wanting to lie down in them. Do yours get blossoms?
Oh, if only Soapweed (nickname for Steve Moreland) was here to get in on this discussion!!
Nahh they don't blossom. They just remain as they are in the picture all year round. They are a good indication of wet ground. In the winter its usually sodden to sinking point so good boots needed for gathering and feeding up if you can't avoid it! Haha I use the rushes as stepping stones over bogs! I'll have to find the picture of the way it can bog!

Sedges have edges rushes are round!

"Sedges have edges, rushes are round, grasses have knees that bend to the ground." This little witty rhyme may be used to separate these three plants into there correct category. The stems of sedges and rushes are solid; in cross-section the stems of rushes are round, while those of sedges are triangular and so have edges.
This is a good way to remember! Reminds me a little of the stoat/weasel rhyme!

Weasels are weasily identified and stoats are stoatally different.

Not that it tells you the difference in the rhyme there haha

I had a pasture over on the coast with lots of rushes. I have used them for stepping stones a lot.
Its when you miscalculate your hopping and end up knee deep in bog haha

Do you guys ever wear flexithane? My main thing especially at this time of year is a really attractive pair of flexithane bib and braces.

Latest posts