• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

You haymakers help me out here!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Whitewing

Reaction score
Have you ever used a cutter like the one pictured below. I haven't. I've used another with "tambores"....something like bucket-sized cylinders with blades attached at the base of each cylinder.

Sorry, the photos aren't very clear, nor are they mine. :D

I'm trying to decide what to buy and am flying by the seat of my pants. :?

HELP!!!!

248297_190685074312746_100001137638992_455384_4446975_n11.jpg

Img_001251.jpg

247712_190684734312780_100001137638992_455370_4045946_n12021.jpg

Img_001271.jpg

hayguy said:
what make is it, the cutter modules look similar to my new holland discbine

I was afraid you'd ask me that. It's either Italian or Brazilian.....I think the latter but I'll find out for you. Probably Brazilian because I believe they do a lot of New Holland knock-offs.

Does the thing work well? Strengths....weaknesses as opposed to other models?

It won't like rocks and light crop but most likely will cut like crazy in heavy conditions like I imagine yours would be.

per said:
It won't like rocks and light crop but most likely will cut like crazy in heavy conditions like I imagine yours would be.

Rocks concern me, that's for sure. What's the result of a rock hit?

The primary area I'll be baling has no rocks, but there are other areas I've planted that could present rock problems.

Whitewing said:
per said:

The primary area I'll be baling has no rocks, but there are other areas I've planted that could present rock problems.

We use them here, and heaven knows this place has rocks! It might dull a blade if you hit a rock, but they're super easy to change out. Now, if you hit a BIG rock (not that I've ever done that before), the whole unit has a release, which prevents further damage... once again, that's easy to recoup from... uh,um, so I've heard :shock: :) .

I'd say if we can get by using one on this rockpile, you should have no trouble :wink: :D .

WyomingRancher said:
Whitewing said:
per said:

We use them here, and heaven knows this place has rocks! It might dull a blade if you hit a rock, but they're super easy to change out. Now, if you hit a BIG rock (not that I've ever done that before), the whole unit has a release, which prevents further damage... once again, that's easy to recoup from... uh,um, so I've heard :shock: :) .

I'd say if we can get by using one on this rockpile, you should have no trouble :wink: :D .

That's good news WR! Thanks. And at least at my place the rocks aren't granite....they're sandstone so they break apart easily, especially the big ones..........or so I've heard. :D

per said:

i pretty much agree with per

blades are no problem to change out if you hit a rock, most new disc cutters have a shear hub to prevent damage if you hit a bigger rock. that being said hubs that don't shear and bigger rocks can cause a lot of damage real quick. one of my neighbors hit a cabbage sized rock and did 6000$ damage plus 3 weeks of down time

i roll my land every two to three years to push the rocks in so they won't present any problems i hate love stones

guy here has a felt cowboy hat with a hole thru the top just missed the top of his head, that was after the rock took out the back cab window. others have said they lose side cab windows when they pick up and turn

I've got one similar ( yours actually looks like the same brand). Mine is Italian made a foreign knock off of a New Holland. It does a good job just finished mowing with it yesterday. I've hit rocks (we have limestone) dulls blade some but continues to mow. You can lay some hay down quick with one. I've also hit a stump before. Tripped the safety device which lets the unit release. Reset it and kept mowing. I think you will be satisfied.

LRAF said:
I've got one similar ( yours actually looks like the same brand). Mine is Italian made a foreign knock off of a New Holland. It does a good job just finished mowing with it yesterday. I've hit rocks (we have limestone) dulls blade some but continues to mow. You can lay some hay down quick with one. I've also hit a stump before. Tripped the safety device which lets the unit release. Reset it and kept mowing. I think you will be satisfied.

Got word from Venezuela tonight that they think it's Italian-made so you're probably right.

I've had the boys make numerous passes through this new area I've planted looking for rocks.....they'll make another pass tomorrow. :D

Back when we used to have teenagers stack wagons I paid $0.02 per bale to stack and the wagons had a 1 1/2" space between each board so that chalf would fall thru.

I also paid $0.02 for each rock on the wagon so after just a short time my hay fields became rock free and the area just outside the barn around the water tank was completely covered in rocks and stayed firm even when everything else was mud. I figured any rock that fell thru a 1 1/2" gap would not hurt my mower anyway.

The only complaint I have ever heard was that it takes more horse power than a triditional mower.

As long as you can get parts for it I'm sure it'll be fine. I worried over the rocks before I bought mine. It was more worry than needed.

You can save a lot of trouble cutting hay if you run a smooth roller over the fields after they are planted. Puts the rocks down under the surface.

as with a lot of north american equipment it may be that new holland is the knock-off. i know that tonnutti builds a lot of hay equipment sold under disguise :?

you can get a "rock blade" costs more, breaks the same.... just go with a medium blade, works in all conditions.

WW, just buy it. You will never hook up your sickle bar cutter again. Our hayground is as bad as it gets for rough and rocky. You need to carry a big Crescent wrench with you to bend the knives back down if you touch a rock. A big solid rock will do enough damage to replace the knife. I carry a generator and angle grinder from field to field so I can sharpen every so often. Fine grass will be raggy looking if you keep going with dull knives.
If you have lots of gravelly type soil you will want to put a heavy steel mesh on the back and right side of the seat/canopy to about 6 inches above head high to protect the operator from missiles. :wink:

Our parts bill for cutting was chopped in half when we changed to a discbine.

gcreekrch said:
WW, just buy it.

It was paid for today and will be delivered later this week with the new baler I bought last week. :D

Within a couple of days I'll have the HayBob in hand and should be set.

Another fellow told me to consider a caddy for the cutter. I looked at a video of one and they look pretty slick. Doubt I'll be able to find a caddy down there though.

Latest posts