• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

You probably don't have any homeless

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I have a very good friend who got her MSW from UIC a few years back.. 7-8 I think... She works in a public school system in the Chicago area... Tough job but I tink at the end of days/weeks that aren't real bad she finds it very rewarding... Jobs that I just couldn't do, it would wear me out way to fast.

IL Rancher said:
I have a very good friend who got her MSW from UIC a few years back.. 7-8 I think... She works in a public school system in the Chicago area... Tough job but I tink at the end of days/weeks that aren't real bad she finds it very rewarding... Jobs that I just couldn't do, it would wear me out way to fast.

Any of the jobs interfacing with the public hour after hour with the intent of not just talking but effecting change in their lives/health are very draining jobs even when you enjoy people. It is so easy to say the wrong thing even with the best intentions, and I can believe working in a public school these days must be a major challenge, the parents being a big part of the kids' problems :roll:

I had a friend who is a social worker in the Jail System when I was a Dep. Sherriff.
One day he was bragging to me "How He Rolled This Con Up" (put him back in the system) Be cause the 'con' was on "Work Furlow" and had Lied to Him.
I had to tell him he was a social worker and as such he had to know and understand that cons were going to Lie and do everything they could to get around him - As a Social Worker his job was to try to Understand and Help them - My Job was to Roll-Them-Up when they do wrong
I knew this Cons History and why he had lied - Social Worker might have helped him but he was playinf Cop...

I'm not saying the Con was Right - My saying the social worker was wrong he was doing my job

Thanks FH for the nice note.. nr yea I am having my eyes really opened up on what a real need there is for people in SW. And, OD there is always people in jobs that they shouldnt be, the very reason I am doing what I am. I know we all make mistakes, but when it comes to a breathing person we have to careful on what we say and how we treat them. As my professor is teaching us, we look for the WORTH in the person first then see how we can use that to help them. Everyone has WORTH, just some have forgotten how to see it in themselves.

Easty

I don't know of any homeless around here, but yesterday, I did find out (from my new boss) that there are a couple of families that have small charge accounts at the station (it's more like a Circle K, 7-11, or convenience store kinda deal) because they were seen rummaging through the dumpsters at the dump, looking for something to eat. I've given it some thought, and I think I'll work a few hours a week to pre-pay on their charge accounts, so they can get something to eat, regularly. They do have kids, so need some help, and since we don't sell liquor of any kind (at least, not yet), I know it won't be going for beer or whiskey.

I'm sure there would be more of this type of folks around, if we lived in a larger community, but there are less than 200 people here (including surrounding ranches, and summer folks).

Ranchy, you are the genuine article. How nice of you to think of them
when you are working to pay off something for yourself.

Why don't you post the address of the store and if anyone wants to
help out, they can. If you think it's a worthy cause, I bet some others
on here will too.

Much better to send money to someone who really needs it as wonder
if it ever got to the needy when you send it through the mail.

One place we religously donate to is the Salvation Army. They did my dad good in the Army when he had an emergency and needed to come home.
Dad never did think much of the Red Cross, but he felt the exact
opposite of the Salvation Army. Guess that's why I feel the way I do.

Faster horses said:
Ranchy, you are the genuine article. How nice of you to think of them
when you are working to pay off something for yourself.

Why don't you post the address of the store and if anyone wants to
help out, they can. If you think it's a worthy cause, I bet some others
on here will too.

Much better to send money to someone who really needs it as wonder
if it ever got to the needy when you send it through the mail.

One place we religously donate to is the Salvation Army. They did my dad good in the Army when he had an emergency and needed to come home.
opposite of the Salvation Army. Guess that's why I feel the way I do.[/

quote]
The Salvation Army was rated very highly for a number of reasons as an effective organization, one being that so little of the donated funds go to the administration. Almost all goes to the programs helping the poor or disadvantaged.

Faster horses said:

Same here FH- My Dad spoke highly of the Salvation Army, but had nothing good to say about Red Cross, which he said even billed his parents at home for the blood he used in transfusions while lost in the militaries Hospital system in Australia- another job Red Cross was supposed to do and didn't was inform the patients parents of their location and condition...He said the home folks didn't know he was alive for months until they received the bills....

Oldtimer said:
Faster horses said:

Same here FH- My Dad spoke highly of the Salvation Army, but had nothing good to say about Red Cross, which he said even billed his parents at home for the blood he used in transfusions while lost in the militaries Hospital system in Australia- another job Red Cross was supposed to do and didn't was inform the patients parents of their location and condition...He said the home folks didn't know he was alive for months until they received the bills....
We donate to the Salvation Army as well, I like the idea that they are there to help with basic needs following natural disasters. One thing that I wonder about with homeless shelters; when you're dealing with families with children, as well as winos and drug addicts, do you keep them seperated to some degree...and is it possible to keep the children relatively safe? To be perfectly honest, the homeless in our region that are the most visible are winos. A substance abuse counselor will tell you about family members often becoming "enablers" to varying degrees. How do you draw the line as to whether you are providing for someones basic needs so they can pursue whatever substance they're addicted too, somewhat following the definition of "enabler"? Not trying to pick a fight, just curious.

Cal,
That is something we discuss in our class. As the Social Worker you have to assess the NEED first whether it is addressing their addiction first, or putting a roof over their heads. And, to answer the question on the children, that is the first thing we take in account. It is hard, and I see now it will never be a easy task as to assess what is needed the most. But, in our situation we are taught Housing, food, then clothing is the way we take in steps. After we intervene, then we assess. Safety is always the priority for everyone. As far as the shelters, they are different. From what I am learning that the children and women now are kept separately from the men....

Now as you say the wino and addicts are the majority you find homeless, this is true. But, do you ask how or why they are the way they are?? Because you will also find that either a traumatic situation, loss of jobs, etc cause this in many. Then you have the Mental situations that contribute to the others. People sometimes may not make wise decisions in certain situations, but it might be because they are not able to. That is when we as Humans with compassion have to understand that and assist them to become the person they can be. Shelters for them is just the start. I suppose with all my babbling I am trying to say, yes they do try to keep everyone safe and separated the best they can.

Now on Red Cross my parents are the same. They would not assist them as well...and after they went through 3 major Hurricanes and seeing how they decide who they help?? I will keep my comments to myself about the rest, and how the donations are used. Salvation Army made sure we had ICE, and FOOD they worked through the missions and churches to make sure we were provided what we needed. We were the fortunate ones we only were without electricity for 11 days last year through Hurricane Rita....But, with all the towns shut down and nothing on the shelves we were stranded with nothing. And, my house is all electric...yep funny now but, Hurricanes are not suppose to travel this far up... :roll: :?

If you can make since of all that good luck...but, I do hope that you do understand it and I can see where you are honest Cal, and why would it be a argument to just ask a question you want an answer to? Nothing wrong with that.

Hope everyone had a great weekend,

Easty

Interesting, thanks. Until the last couple of years or so I would try to ride the bike path along Rapid Creek every once in a while, had one of those tow-alongs for the kid when he was small ( where do the years go?)...was a good workout. Along some parts of the creek and overpasses seemed to be the favorite hangouts of the homeless. Some passed out, lots of wine bottles and trash all over, but I geuss they must have made it to the mission for a meal sometimes...hard to understand how someone could live like that, unless they did have mental illness. After living like that for a number of years, what are the odds of mainstreaming a number of them back into society, and having them hold onto a job and staying sober? Just reading the obits where the cause of death is listed as "natural causes" in fairly young people seems telling of how easy and quickly life can be destroyed. Hopefully, as you pointed out, that families in need that have children, are kept seperated and do get back on their feet. Hope you had a great weekend, Easty! All the days are kind of running together here...for now.

Speaking from our area it is the same as Easty's: different types of shelters for different groups: for women and children, for men, sometimes a separate one for substance abusers. Then there are daytime drop-in resource centers for the homeless to help them get work or figure out finances etc. Salvation Army and some churches have after-school shelters that provide free tutors and a safe place to play, something invaluable to kids from disfunctional homes.

Some interesting stats from Salvation Army Ending Fiscal Yr 2004:
83 cents of every dollar went toward program services-the remainder to management and general expenses. Their service is given to all ages in a wide variety of forms: summer and day camps, medical facilities, Boys/Girls Clubs, Senior Citizen Centers, Group Homes, Disaster Assistance, Job Referrals, Holiday Assistance, Transportation Provided; Missing Persons...the list goes on and on.

Latest posts