• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Your opinions on a couple of AI sires, please

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses

Reaction score
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
I help a friend select bulls to AI his cows. He isn't looking for big, tall cattle. We have used N Bar Prime Time;
Bennett Total; some Olde bulls; Tender Ten, etc. Calving ease is very important, but something with good maternal. I have been looking a bit and
wondered what the comments would be on Genex' Irish' and' Long Distance'.
Black Angus, of course. I took some photos of this years calves and will share them here soon.

Thanks in advance.

I am looking for a bull to flush to as well I have had good luck with Hoff Cattle and ordered Jindra Double Vision he may be to tall for your friend

I have one Sitz Investment et calf just born I really like

My cows are out cross and have good numbers any ideas

FYI I visited with one of Straffords Upward handlers in Aug he said they took Upward to Wisconsin they do not expect him to last much longer
He was just about put down at Strafford at one time
when they took Upward out of his front pasture pen they put Connealy In Sure back in August
Long Distance looked as big as Double Vision to me
I remember seeing Irish he is ok certainly a good one

Faster horses said:
I help a friend select bulls to AI his cows. He isn't looking for big, tall cattle. We have used N Bar Prime Time;
Bennett Total; some Olde bulls; Tender Ten, etc. Calving ease is very important, but something with good maternal. I have been looking a bit and
wondered what the comments would be on Genex' Irish' and' Long Distance'.
Black Angus, of course. I took some photos of this years calves and will share them here soon.

Thanks in advance.

I'm wondering if those both wouldn't be too powerful for your friend- growth and performance/milk...

An old proven bull he may want to consider is Three Trees Prime Cut 0145... He has a lot of maternal behind him in his pedigree (Basin Rainmaker 654X, Emulation5522,Finks 5522-6148, etc)... He is moderate both in frame and performance and efficiency/milk ... Has a lot of cows in production...
We used him on some heifers this year with good results... Nothing overly spectacular which you expect with most maternal cattle... No long term history but like what I see so far...
Altho his +9 CED won't match Tender Ten or N Bar Prime Time...

Here's a picture I took yesterday while checking pastures of one of the Prime Cut 0145 sired bull calves sucking on his O C C Magnitude 805M X Cole Creek Goldmere 31N (mgs) mother....

Another you may look at that I've heard good about - altho not seen any calves is COLE CREEK CEDAR RIDGE 1V (altho I heard he may have been injured and quit producing semen???)...
http://genex.crinet.com/beef/index.php?action=DETAIL&code=1AN01224

We've sure had good luck with the "Cedar" breeding- and Cedar Ridge is double bred to "Cedar" C H Quantum 6247..

Some good ideas there OT, thanks. I don't think the Irish bull would be too powerful to use. He's a 20 on milk and that's okay. Long Distance is 32 and you are right, that's too high for what he is looking for.
Nice calf, BTW.

Thanks for your input there, also, Hayfeeder,

This bull isn't a 90 plus percent accuracy but he is a really nice bull. SCHIEFELBEIN EFFECTIVE 61 is his name. Milk is 27 so I'm sure that's borderline. I would also agree with Cedar Ridge. Another bull that isn't highly proven but the calves are excellent is Connealy balance. He is a 23 for milk. He is also a 97 for yw but they are very moderate so I don't think that should deter him.

Not to hijack the thread but we put 75 straws of Effective into some of our heifers. He is supposed to be wide based and extremely deep bodied. His milk is a touch high but in this day and age anything under 30 is considered lower. His ww and yw numbers are moderate if your a numbers guy which I'm not. Another bull I would definetly use in the future is Larry Coleman's Charlo bull, he is Paxton x 8180 with some pretty reasonable numbers. Great looking bull tho.

Don't we first need to know what will become of the offspring from these bulls? i.e. will they become mama cows? etc. etc. ?

Mike said:
Don't we first need to know what will become of the offspring from these bulls? i.e. will they become mama cows? etc. etc. ?

In my original post I said calving ease was important but so was good maternal. In other words, he isn't looking for a terminal sire. And he
definitely wants moderate. No YW over 100, and preferable under...

Faster horses said:
Mike said:

In my original post I said calving ease was important but so was good maternal. In other words, he isn't looking for a terminal sire. And he
definitely wants moderate. No YW over 100, and preferable under...

Scheifelbein's claim that Effective is a cow maker but they like BIG cows. I've seen his dam and she was'nt over big was in good condition but thats not saying much with their management and feeding system.I like the calves we have so far but they are 4 or 5 months old. I have one Cedar Ridge calf so thats no way to judge a sire and she's out of a pretty good Koupals Juneau bred heifer.Alot of rib shape in the Cedar Ridge but the effectives seam to have a bit more stretch I actually like them better to look at but we all know looks good and being good are two different beasts.

S Chisum makes some soggy selling calves maybe not the best calveing ease but not the worst. They carry some extra leather but they grow and are tanks we've got 8 of them this year that all will make the bull pen one like the next.

Not sure where your friend is at- but if he wants to see some Cole Creek Cedar Ridge 1V calves- I just saw where Deboo's (Diamond D Angus, Valier Mt.) are advertising they will have 25 sons in the Nov 13th bull sale...

What do you think of the Koupals Juneau cattle Denny?
Very inaresting pedigree.
Have a fairly high CED probably from all the 707 in the pedigree.
Do you think that is an issue at all?

greybeard said:
What do you think of the Koupals Juneau cattle Denny?
Very inaresting pedigree.
Have a fairly high CED probably from all the 707 in the pedigree.
Do you think that is an issue at all?

I like them seam to flesh easy and have great udders. Mine are young cows and under in age have 4 years worth down to calves. I have noticed as yearlings last year dureing AI season a couple got really hot but as first calf heifers they have been a non issue and are doing a good job raiseing their calves and holding their flesh now if they are bred back is the big question. In my eye the last 2 bull calf crops the best bulls were Juneau sons. I have one that is from a Sinclair Extra duaghter that I'm most likely going to keep for a female maker.

I don't think you would have much for calveing issues the calves are born pretty stretchy and have smaller type head as in narrow.

Oldtimer said:
Not sure where your friend is at- but if he wants to see some Cole Creek Cedar Ridge 1V calves- I just saw where Deboo's (Diamond D Angus, Valier Mt.) are advertising they will have 25 sons in the Nov 13th bull sale...

Thanks everyone for your input. I think we have decided on the Cedar Ridge bull as the first choice, Coleman Charlo as the the second.

Here are some photos showing the results of what we have selected so far.
Some of these are of Bennett Total calves, some are Prime Time, some are Tender Ten, but I'm not sure which ones are which. :cry: I can find out however. He knows and told me, but I had no way of marking them down. He lost one calf and bought a red cross calf to put on the cow as you can easily see. Keep in mind these are April calves....I think using low birthweight bulls hasn't hurt the weaning weights which have been over 600 lbs. the last few years. This year he realized 71% bred by AI.

Latest posts