• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Youth today

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Red Robin said:
Oldtimer said:
You guys just live in the wrong part of the world apparently or else Mrs. Greg and I live in the last great area (which it is)..
I don't think it's either. I think that you and I have different expectations. George Washington was leading troops at an age that we still consider youthful. Now it is quite acceptable for a 28 or 30 year old man to still be living at home trying to decide what he wants to do when he grows up.

Back in Georges day 40 was an old man...

So were girls getting married at age 13 and starting families- old maids by 18...Dead by 40....Life had to be fast.....
Now if they want to really get ahead- they need to be in High School til 18- then many take a minimum of 4 years of college- maybe more....Age they get married and start families is much older now- but they also live much longer (70's-80's)...

But from your posts I gather your Arkansas belief is that the girls are old maids by 16...Barefoot and pregnant thats all they are good for anyway :roll: ....Guys should have a good mule sh*t shoveling job by 12 or 13 so they can afford a house raising....Don't need any "educashun"..... :wink: :(
And God forbid if they spend some time seeing the real world and how real people outside the "Ozark Hills" live and think.....

Oldtimer said:
Red Robin said:
Oldtimer said:
You guys just live in the wrong part of the world apparently or else Mrs. Greg and I live in the last great area (which it is)..
I don't think it's either. I think that you and I have different expectations. George Washington was leading troops at an age that we still consider youthful. Now it is quite acceptable for a 28 or 30 year old man to still be living at home trying to decide what he wants to do when he grows up.

Back in Georges day 40 was an old man...

So were girls getting married at age 13 and starting families- old maids by 18...Dead by 40....Life had to be fast.....
Now if they want to really get ahead- they need to be in High School til 18- then many take a minimum of 4 years of college- maybe more....Age they get married and start families is much older now- but they also live much longer (70's-80's)...

But from your posts I gather your Arkansas belief is that the girls are old maids by 16...Barefoot and pregnant thats all they are good for anyway :roll: ....Guys should have a good mule sh*t shoveling job by 12 or 13 so they can afford a house raising....Don't need any "educashun"..... :wink: :(
And God forbid if they spend some time seeing the real world and how real people outside the "Ozark Hills" live and think.....
Not at all. I just think that young adults should show some responsibility. My grandmother was better educated by the 8th grade than most college graduates are today.

But from your posts I gather your Arkansas belief is that the girls are old maids by 16...Barefoot and pregnant thats all they are good for anyway ....Guys should have a good mule sh*t shoveling job by 12 or 13 so they can afford a house raising....Don't need any "educashun".....

I'm having a really hard time finding what and where you're gathering this from his posts.

May be that my reading comprehension is not what it used to be?

Show us where he said or alluded to your ridiculousness. Please.

I know here that Meth and Crack is ruining a good percentage of kids.
They'll pop a cap in your ass for $5 and laugh. :shock:

Red Robin said:
Oldtimer said:
I told a young lady that I love very much....If you keep an open heart wonderful things will walk in....Maybe RR you need to open your heart a bit.When one has too high of expectations the important little things get missed.

I struggled a little on trying to find the right words to describe the youth. Maybe I should have said no wonder so many youth are going down the sloppy path they are today.

One perception we have in youth will depend on what youth we are around. When I go to a 4-H meeting I see a whole different group of youth than when i go to coach my sons local basketball team.

If you are around youths a lot as it sounds Mrs Greg is in settings were some volunteer or at Church that is way different than the average youth you see slam a door in some old ladies face at the local grocery store because they were never taught to hold a door for the elderly or women.

There just seems to be more attitude today, talking back, not responsive to adults when told to do something.

And youth seem to be distracted with instant pleasure. I do not consider a youth that spends 8 hours a day after school either texting, playing video games, watching TV or on in the Internet a quality youth! No wonder they are not good at interaction they only play electronic devices.

Some would be happy and think a kid is a good kid if he goes to his room and plays video games all day and does not get in trouble. To me that is not a quality youth that is a medicated youth, medicated with gadgets.

Mike said:
I know here that Meth and Crack is ruining a good percentage of kids.
They'll pop a cap in your ass for $5 and laugh. :shock:

I guess maybe a lot of it is about "area"...This is a project "founded" by an individual businessman/rancher that has donated $Millions and in turn raised $Millions more in government/business matching funds- and has a profound affect on the state.....

I see less drugs used now than back in the 70's-80's-- and much of that use now is by those folks that were "youth" back in the 70's-80's....If you are travelling Montana- you can't help to see all the innovative signs/posters that the kids have put up thruout the state with their message "SAY NO TO METH" .....
Take a look at some of their innovation...This is why I'm still positive on the "youth" of Montana:
http://www.paintthestate.org/

WHAT IS THE MONTANA METH PROJECT?The Montana Meth Project is a large-scale exercise in prevention, aimed at significantly reducing Meth use in Montana. The integrated program consists of an ongoing, research-based marketing campaign—supported by community outreach and public policy initiatives—that realistically and graphically communicate the risks of methamphetamine to the youth of Montana.

The Meth Project was conceived and founded by businessman and Montana rancher, Thomas M. Siebel. The purpose is to inform potential Meth consumers about the product attributes and actual risks associated with methamphetamine. The goal is to substantially reduce methamphetamine use.

As of September 2007:

Montana ranks #39 in the nation for Meth abuse
Teen Meth use has declined by 45%
Meth positive employee drug testing has declined by 70%
53% decrease in Meth-related crime

2007 Survey: The third survey was conducted in December, 2006 and January, 2007, 18-months following the benchmark study to determine the level of change in attitudes and behavior since 2005.
KEY FINDINGS
Findings from the 2007 Meth Use & Attitudes Survey indicate that there have been dramatic shifts in attitudes toward Meth in past two years. Compared to the 2005 Benchmark survey, Montana teens, young adults, and parents are more aware of the dangers of taking Meth, more likely to disapprove of taking the drug, and more likely to have had parent-child discussions about the subject.

Perception of Risks & Benefits
Teens now view Meth as more dangerous than heroin.
Few teens of any age see a benefit in taking Meth.
More than 80% of teens believe there are substantial risks in taking Meth.
Social Disapproval
The majority of Montana teens (87%) now strongly disapprove of Meth use, even once or twice.
85% of young adults and 79% of teens now agree their friends would give them a hard time if they used Meth.
Awareness & Dialogue
Parent-child discussions about Meth have increased.
96% of parents say they have discussed the subject of Meth with their teen in the past year, more than half the time TV ads prompted these conversations.
Montana Meth Project's ads are reported by all groups as effective—7 in 10 "strongly agree" the ads show that Meth is dangerous to try just once, will make you look different than normal, will make you act in a way you would not want to, is more dangerous than they originally thought, and that Meth problems could happen in their town or school.

http://www.montanameth.org/index.php

Mrs.Greg said:
Maybe RR you need to open your heart a bit.When one has too high of expectations the important little things get missed.

It is also possible if you have to low of expectations then you think all youth are good. If we do not recognize the problems of the youth of today then we can not help to fix the problem. If all youth are good then nothing needs to be done lets just leave them be!

I believe there is a growing problem with youth today, Drugs, Teen pregnancy, sex parties, vandalism, violence, theft, abortions, disrespect etc......It has been declining since WWII. If we bury our heads in the sand then we can not help them.

If I do not recognize the problem how can I help fix it? If I think that kid that back talks me on basketball court is all good and try to open my heart up to him, how can I teach him to be respectful by running suicide drills?

We have to open not only our hearts but our eyes to the problems of today, not all is good and not all will work out in the end!

To quote a prominent man, We need Change! :wink:

Society now days doesn' t exspect much from kids. You don't know how many graduation gifts I have sent and never got a thank you note.. Parents don't teach respect or manners in the home and the liberal community turns a blind eye....... Ain't the kids fault, they know no differant.
But I have seen some wonderful kids right here on ranchersnet. Now there's our future...... :clap:

It is time to put blame where it truely lies and thats at the feet of men....So many men are deliquient fathers that either dump thier families on their female partners or run and never offer a stick of help to thier child or that childs well being....Now moms have to be dads too....

the year is now 2007 and women have had to learn to live in a world with men..They are more educated then ever before,more organized then ever before,and have more power of self then ever before.....Maybe now that the whole playing field is more level,man and women can work on more intimate matters such as love of family and finding true love,rather then the postion of wife being a job.....

Men need to really see who the problem is and stop blaming women for doing the best they can at raising young boys....They have been giving no training to raise sons,but give them credit...They at least are there for their kids after the man is long gone...Women are raising more young men then ever before,do not blame them for that....Blame the men who walked away without even a dollar towards their own childs well being...

nonothing said:
It is time to put blame where it truely lies and thats at the feet of men....So many men are deliquient fathers that either dump thier families on their female partners or run and never offer a stick of help to thier child or that childs well being....Now moms have to be dads too....

the year is now 2007 and women have had to learn to live in a world with men..They are more educated then ever before,more organized then ever before,and have more power of self then ever before.....Maybe now that the whole playing field is more level,man and women can work on more intimate matters such as love of family and finding true love,rather then the postion of wife being a job.....

Men need to really see who the problem is and stop blaming women for doing the best they can at raising young boys....They have been giving no training to raise sons,but give them credit...They at least are there for their kids after the man is long gone...Women are raising more young men then ever before,do not blame them for that....Blame the men who walked away without even a dollar towards their own childs well being...

Fathers that do not take care of their children is one of the problems.

But women have to accept part of the blame for not having husbands and fathers at home. There is a certain life style people have to live so that they increase the chances of a father and husband being their. If they sleep around and look for men in all the wrong places then they increase their chances of no one being their for them.

I know I have two sister in laws that I have to help raise their kids because out of them both they have 4 kids by 4 different fathers and not one of the 4 dads have anything to do with their kids. They ran around, sleeping with everyone under the sun and they ended up 4 kids 4 dads. My wife on the other hand found herself a stable man ( :wink: ) to date, did not sleep around and she has been married now for 22 years with 3 kids same father.

Life turns out usually according to the choices we make. Sleep with bums have bums for fathers.

nonothing said:
It is time to put blame where it truely lies and thats at the feet of men......

This should raise a few hackles........perhaps the single biggest factor in the USA that has cause the dissolution of the family was a compromise that LBJ made with the Republicans in Congress. He began a "War on Poverty" which would have established a minimum level of income for all Americans. It is similar to the minimum wage. The Republicans made it a mandate that ONLY those families without an able bodied male could receive the benefits of this program. At that point in time, unemployment in the black community was in double digits. To see to it that his kids were fed, a good man left the home so his wife and kids could eat. Instead of helping all, the Republican compromise with LBJ CAUSED the disintegration of the family as our parents knew it. One more step for "conservatism" one more step backwards for the American people.......one more chink from the wall of the middle class.....one more "unintended consequence" of typically bad conservative policies.[/b]

aplusmnt said:
nonothing said:

But women have to accept part of the blame for not having husbands and fathers at home. There is a certain life style people have to live so that they increase the chances of a father and husband being their. If they sleep around and look for men in all the wrong places then they increase their chances of no one being their for them.

I know I have two sister in laws that I have to help raise their kids because out of them both they have 4 kids by 4 different fathers and not one of the 4 dads have anything to do with their kids. They ran around, sleeping with everyone under the sun and they ended up 4 kids 4 dads. My wife on the other hand found herself a stable man ( :wink: ) to date, did not sleep around and she has been married now for 22 years with 3 kids same father.

Life turns out usually according to the choices we make. Sleep with bums have bums for fathers.

***Smacking head on my keyboard not believing this.****

I'd like to know the safe place to find a man because evidentally you know all the wrong places. I think you forget that even in safe places such as churches evil men can reside. To me sleeping around isn't as much the issue as is education about BIRTH control. Let's not all get on our I'm so much more moral and right since I did this and didn't do this. Let's face the issue head on. If some of these mothers were more educated on birth control they could do whomever they pleased and not take the risk of having another unwanted child. Support your local community health resources if this issue burdens you so much. Help prevent the problem volunteer some. Be a mentor. If you look at todays mothers with all the children with different dads many of them grew up in the same situation. You don't know it's wrong or there is another option then that lifestyle without education or exposure to information you can learn from.

Women are to blame because men choose not to take the responsibility of fatherhood on??? What the???? To me yep women play as much of part as the man both are having sex in an irresponsible nature not considering the chance of a child and the impact that their choices have on an innocent childs life.

***steps off of soapbox****

Goodpasture said:
The Republicans made it a mandate that ONLY those families without an able bodied male could receive the benefits of this program. At that point in time, unemployment in the black community was in double digits. To see to it that his kids were fed, a good man left the home so his wife and kids could eat.
And while he was gone, he tapped into old Shontell and then stopped in at Wyvonne's crib to wet his wick one more time before he went back home to get a little wine money after momma cashed the guvmint check. So...it's the Republican's fault that the "good man" you talk about sired 15 freakin' kids with bitches that don't be his? :lol:

It is so amazing how much power the Reps had back then even though the Dems had an overwhelming majority in congrss

aplusmnt said:
nonothing said:

I hope in your "helping" to raise your nieces and nephews that the children are loved unconditionally and fairly.

We've all seen children raised in hopeless,unhealthy homes become great productive people,also children raised well in a happy healthy enviroments stray from there upbringings.

I truly hope your just trying to bait me and a few of the other women on here Aplus,because if your not your thinking is kinda pathetic. :roll:

nonothing said:

Actually the year is 2008, and what about the women who don't pay child support? or who take the child support and blow it and don't bother to put any away for college for the kids? what about those women? I get really tired of hearing about Dead beat Dads, what about the Money Hungry Moms?

another shot at this ................there has been made mention of factors such as geographic location, economic elements & social pressures affecting the attitude of today's youth.
My earlier comment relating to rural youth was based on the concept that kids growing up on farms & ranches had basically a better environment to grow up in. All aspects of their daily lives seems to be a structuring for what they will face as adults. Their mentors were their parents.
On the other hand, urban youth are left to fend for themselves. Their responsibilities are minimal; their direction left to electronic gadgets or hobbies. Their mentors are working outside the home & often times consumed by their own careers. The parent /child interaction is minimal at best. They often look to peers for direction & that leaves many an opening for misguidance.
An old saying comes to mind that sums up my babbling....you are a product of your environment.

Mrs.Greg said:
aplusmnt said:
nonothing said:

I hope in your "helping" to raise your nieces and nephews that the children are loved unconditionally and fairly.

We've all seen children raised in hopeless,unhealthy homes become great productive people,also children raised well in a happy healthy enviroments stray from there upbringings.

I truly hope your just trying to bait me and a few of the other women on here Aplus,because if your not your thinking is kinda pathetic. :roll:

I am just being fair and balanced, nonothing said the problem lies with men not being fathers, I concur that this is a problem but go on to say women in these situations have to ACCEPT PART OF THE BLAME. That seems fair and accurate in my opinion.

Every time we see a single mom raising a child it is not the sole blame of the father. There is many different reasons, some times the man has abandoned them, some times he does not even know, sometimes the woman does not allow him to be part of the child's life. There is many different situations. And both the mother and father have to accept personal responsibility as to why that situation resulted!

aplusmnt said:
Mrs.Greg said:
aplusmnt said:

I am just being fair and balanced, nonothing said the problem lies with men not being fathers, I concur that this is a problem but go on to say women in these situations have to ACCEPT PART OF THE BLAME. That seems fair and accurate in my opinion.

Every time we see a single mom raising a child it is not the sole blame of the father. There is many different reasons, some times the man has abandoned them, some times he does not even know, sometimes the woman does not allow him to be part of the child's life. There is many different situations. And both the mother and father have to accept personal responsibility as to why that situation resulted!

But one thing is all to often the same.......The man is not around,you can paint it however you want,but fact is men are letting down their sons/daughters at an alarming rate....

nonothing said:
,but fact is men are letting down their sons/daughters at an alarming rate....

I have no problem with that comment! I agree! I just believe that there is a shared reason for Single parents today.

And a lot of it goes back to my original post, the Liberal influence to youth today is affecting today's culture and morals.

Latest posts