• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

10% Day

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure 10% of the hfr head calved today. They were coming pretty steady but things picked up. :D

The cows are pooping them out pretty fast. I don't tag them so it's hard to keep track. The hfrs are hard enough to tag. When first born the hfrs are a little hot and when the calves are dry they are to fast for me. :D

Big Muddy rancher said:
I'm pretty sure 10% of the hfr head calved today. They were coming pretty steady but things picked up. :D

The cows are pooping them out pretty fast. I don't tag them so it's hard to keep track. The hfrs are hard enough to tag. When first born the hfrs are a little hot and when the calves are dry they are to fast for me. :D

Good thing it was a nice day, and not snowing and blowing. :wink:

Big Muddy rancher said:

You could buy a rope - it worked for me! Well, kinda anyway . . . :?

Don't go wimping out on us there cowboy. :wink:

Dad always said that you could get 10% in one day. I had one of those days a couple of days ago in the heifers, fortunately far enough ahead of the snow storm that the calves were going good before it started. :D

Cedarcreek said:
Dad always said that you could get 10% in one day. I had one of those days a couple of days ago in the heifers, fortunately far enough ahead of the snow storm that the calves were going good before it started. :D

That is one reason I like to start calving in February. It is harder to get cows bred fast early in the season, and I don't want ten percent of the calves coming in one day. When that is the wrong cold nasty snowy day, which can happen in any month, it is just too hard on crew and facilities. For my purposes, calving can string along at a steady but moderate pace for quite awhile.

burnt said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

what got a hole in your rope?

calved out about 75% In the first 21 days, then still fast the next 10 days.today is 38 days and there 6 cows left. Seem I remeber the vet saying May on a few. Started Lambing Friday and allready past the 10% , with a 200% lamb crop. Have lamb in 17 days before, but most yars therw a few yearlings that drag that out. Now if they were just undressed, I been shear the ones that lamb in the afternoon so far, going to get a couple heavy days and get behind.

jodywy said:
burnt said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

Tried to describe it in a poem a while back . . . :?

Soapweed said:
Cedarcreek said:

That is one reason I like to start calving in February. It is harder to get cows bred fast early in the season, and I don't want ten percent of the calves coming in one day. When that is the wrong cold nasty snowy day, which can happen in any month, it is just too hard on crew and facilities. For my purposes, calving can string along at a steady but moderate pace for quite awhile.

I seems like I get one of those days every year. The heifers are only bred for 30 days so I kind of expect it. We usually had one of those days even when we bred for 45 days. This year it came about 20 days into calving with 2/3 of them done.

Dad always said if you were at it long enough you would have one. I didn't have it this year but I had 10% in 30 hours. The first year I came back to help calve we didn't have a 10% day but we had 16,17 and then 16 again with 180 or so cows. That was a tough stretch, got to about 0 during the days and -30 at night. We just had to kick the oldest out of the barn when we brought another in. A few of them were barely dry. I remember helping a couple get up and suck almost as soon as they were born just so they would have milk in them when we kicked them out. A 5 pen barn just isn't big enough for that.

jodywy said:
burnt said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

Jody, far worse than a hole in my rope . . .

http://www.ranchers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=472223#472223

You know Ty has a nice buckskin ranch gelding you might like :wink: -it's in the not for sale pen though. We got 160 some tagged and Ty has roped probably 90% of them off Hank. PM what you were asking for that started gelding or all three together. Were just about to our start date so calves should really start to come about 475 left to come.

Latest posts