• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

They also never found all the UK cattle in 1993 like Canada did

How many of the ones you found tested positive for BSE?

rancher said:

Well, the first one did. I can't remember how many there were in that group that was imported. I think it may have been around 50 or 60, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. And it seems to me the US imported slightly more at the same time. I believe the US traced about 1/2 of them back. But it would seem logical that if 1% of ours were infected, then 1% of the ones the US imported would have been infected and never found. Its a lot of 'ifs', but it seems like this whole debate is based on 'ifs'.

Silver said:
rancher said:

Well, the first one did. I can't remember how many there were in that group that was imported. I think it may have been around 50 or 60, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. And it seems to me the US imported slightly more at the same time. I believe the US traced about 1/2 of them back. But it would seem logical that if 1% of ours were infected, then 1% of the ones the US imported would have been infected and never found. Its a lot of 'ifs', but it seems like this whole debate is based on 'ifs'.

I disagree Silver, Canada imported from the UK two years after the last US imports. All these cattle, there AND here, were registered and easy to trace because of breed association records. I read not too long ago that research is being done on the last of the living cattle imported from UK.

Mike said:
Silver said:
rancher said:

I disagree Silver, Canada imported from the UK two years after the last US imports. All these cattle, there AND here, were registered and easy to trace because of breed association records. I read not too long ago that research is being done on the last of the living cattle imported from UK.

I hate to do this as it is a beautiful day to be out riding my broom but the US ban imports of live cattle in 1989 and so did Canada. Canada imported 191 head and after the case in 1993 we found what was remaining of the UK cattle and disposed of them only the one tested positive. The U.S. imported 334 animals and according to the CFIA the USDA only tracked down 161 of them leaving 173 animals unaccounted for. The article I got this information from was written in March 2004 the information came from Dr Brian Evans Canada's chief vet.

This may be another question you will not answer Mike but where did you get the information about Canada importing cattle for two years after the U.S.'s last import? :x

http://hill.beef.org/newview.asp?DocumentID=5846

Tam, here is the info about USA imported cattle. Unless you don't believe anything written by Americans.

Excerpt:"Q: Weren't there a number of animals imported from the UK?

Yes, prior to the ban on UK ruminant animals and products in 1989. The USDA traced 496 head of cattle from Great Britain that were imported to the US between 1981 and 1989. No signs of BSE or positive test results were found in these animals. The four animals in Vermont are the only UK imports remaining alive."

Another excerpt from the APHIS site:
Between 1981 and 1989, 334 cattle were imported from the United Kingdom and 162 from the Republic of Ireland. These imports have been traced, and there are only 3 cattle still alive in the United States (as of November 2001). These animals have been under quarantine since April 1996. APHIS is currently attempting to purchase these cattle for diagnostic purposes. In July 1989, the importation of live ruminants from the United Kingdom was banned.

In addition, 5 head of cattle imported from other countries in Europe in 1996 remain under quarantine. APHIS, in cooperation with the States and industry, continues to purchase these animals for diagnostic purposes. No evidence of BSE has been found in any of these imported animals.

Mike said:
http://hill.beef.org/newview.asp?DocumentID=5846

Tam, here is the info about USA imported cattle. Unless you don't believe anything written by Americans.

Excerpt:"Q: Weren't there a number of animals imported from the UK?

Yes, prior to the ban on UK ruminant animals and products in 1989. The USDA traced 496 head of cattle from Great Britain that were imported to the US between 1981 and 1989. No signs of BSE or positive test results were found in these animals. The four animals in Vermont are the only UK imports remaining alive."

Another excerpt from the APHIS site:
Between 1981 and 1989, 334 cattle were imported from the United Kingdom and 162 from the Republic of Ireland. These imports have been traced, and there are only 3 cattle still alive in the United States (as of November 2001). These animals have been under quarantine since April 1996. APHIS is currently attempting to purchase these cattle for diagnostic purposes. In July 1989, the importation of live ruminants from the United Kingdom was banned.

In addition, 5 head of cattle imported from other countries in Europe in 1996 remain under quarantine. APHIS, in cooperation with the States and industry, continues to purchase these animals for diagnostic purposes. No evidence of BSE has been found in any of these imported animals.

First of all what you said was

Mike you never answered my question where did you get your information that says Canada imported cattle for two years after the US stopped importing?

Second this is also from the APHIS web site.

Q: Can we account for all of the U.K.-imported cattle?
A: All but 32 animals have been traced. All cattle of unknown status would be greater than 10 years of age and would have a reduced likelihood of developing BSE at this late date.

So just how many of the UK cattle did the US find still alive and how many were traced to slaughter and entered your feed system undetected? We now know at least one of the 191 of Canada's imports made it pass the testing into our Pre feed ban feed system. SO how can you say one or two didn't in the US. The OIE seemed to think it was possible as they said in their Feb 2004 report to the USDA that since other infected cattle could have been imported from Canada and the UK and since they have not be detected they could have been rendered and fed back to the US herd.

Latest posts