• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

rancher

Reaction score
Canada is just getting around to changing rules so USA can send cattle under 30 months up for slaugther. But they wanted us to do this March 7th. Doesn't make sense. They wanted us to take beef over 30 months, do you take that from us now? How about cattle over 30 months too? :roll: :shock: :? :???:

now allowed include feeder cattle less than 30 months of age and goats and sheep less than 12 months of age for feeding or immediate slaughter, and bulls destined for animal semen production centres. Bone-in sheep and goat meat from animals under 12 months of age will also now be permitted

You posted it didn't you even read it. Canada is now accepting feeder cattle we never did stop taking cattle under 30 months up for immediate slaugther. Check the regulations that were announced in Dec 2003 on the CFIA web page. Geez I'm tried of your R-CALFers trying to make it look as if you are being asked to do something that we are not already doing for YOU.

Tam said:
now allowed include feeder cattle less than 30 months of age and goats and sheep less than 12 months of age for feeding or immediate slaughter, and bulls destined for animal semen production centres. Bone-in sheep and goat meat from animals under 12 months of age will also now be permitted

You posted it didn't you even read it. Canada is now accepting feeder cattle we never did stop taking cattle under 30 months up for immediate slaugther. Check the regulations that were announced in Dec 2003 on the CFIA web page. Geez I'm tried of your R-CALFers trying to make it look as if you are being asked to do something that we are not already doing for YOU.

MISS TAM I think you Are wrong I dont believe Rancher is a R Calfer...........good luck

Tam said:

Tam- It has been awful hard to keep up with CFIA's, FDA's and USDA's inconsistencies--seems the rules change daily... Which ever way the political winds blow-- and then sometimes they forget to tell us about what is happening as before the first court ruling... Could be the reason the Honorable Judge Cebull ruled that the courts need to sit back and look at the whole issue and the science that surrounds it...

Yes I bet you are having a hard time keeping up with what is allowed back into Canada from the U.S. but we don't seem to be having much trouble keeping up with announcements from the USDA on what is allowed into the U.S.

Announced Dec 2003

Canada will continue to allow the importation of products and animals which, on the basis of scientific risk assessment and measures that Canada has put in place, do not pose a risk to human health. These include boneless beef from cattle aged 30 months or less at slaughter, live cattle destined for immediate slaughter, and dairy products, semen, embryos and protein-free tallow.

Announced April 2004

Effective immediately, Canadian import requirements will give U.S. exporters broader latitude to ship products from cattle younger than 30 months of age, including boneless and bone-in beef, and various processed products such as ground beef and salami. The movement of these products is facilitated through revised certification procedures agreed to by the countries.
In addition, amendments to Canadian import regulations allow U.S. exporters to ship to Canada boneless and bone-in meat from bison younger than 30 months of age, as well as boneless meat from sheep and goats younger than 12 months of age.
These new Canadian import requirements match changes to U.S. import conditions, including the changes announced last week by the United States Department of Agriculture.
Also amended are live animal import regulations for veal calves. Cattle of any age were already allowed into Canada for immediate slaughter, and now these young calves can be imported for feeding as well. Canada will also permit imports of animals for temporary stay, such as those performing in rodeos or agricultural shows.

Announced Mar 29 2005

These new regulations demonstrate how Canadian import restrictions have been reviewed and updated to better reflect international import standards related to BSE, as well as to advance North American harmonization. Under the new import regulations, some of the commodities now allowed include feeder cattle less than 30 months of age and goats and sheep less than 12 months of age for feeding or immediate slaughter, and bulls destined for animal semen production centres. Bone-in sheep and goat meat from animals under 12 months of age will also now be permitted.
With respect to fertilizers and animal foods, the regulations have been broadened somewhat to prohibit the importation of these products if they contain ingredients derived from any ruminant animals. This is consistent with OIE guidelines.
Canada is not stopping there. CFIA is also developing a broader international import policy that will apply to imports from all countries. It will further illustrate Canada's commitment to updating Canada's import requirements based on the new North American standard and OIE guidelines, both of which are consistent with recognized scientific evidence related to BSE. The CFIA will be providing more information related to this new import policy in the coming weeks.

Maple Leaf Angus said:
So, OT, if bill clinton would be a federal judge and sucked up to r-calf $, I suppose you'd call him "honourable" too. :)

If he was a US Federal Judge I would call him " Your Honor"...

I read it fast, but where is beef from over 30 months like was in the last ruling USDA had before they pulled it. Can we send beef from over 30 months to Canada?

rancher said:
I read it fast, but where is beef from over 30 months like was in the last ruling USDA had before they pulled it. Can we send beef from over 30 months to Canada?

Yes it was in the ruling but it got pulled and maybe that is why it was pulled from this Canadian announcement. Last I hear Canada was going to take any live animal born after the feed bans were implemented but maybe that was pulled after the USDA pulled the OTM beef from their announcement. Why should Canada accept anything that you aren't you are also minmal risk you know. Do you think we should lower our standards to the point where we become a dumping ground for beef that nobody else wants, U.S. OTM BEEF

Tam said:
rancher said:

Yes it was in the ruling but it got pulled and maybe that is why it was pulled from this Canadian announcement. Last I hear Canada was going to take any live animal born after the feed bans were implemented but maybe that was pulled after the USDA pulled the OTM beef from their announcement. Why should Canada accept anything that you aren't you are also minmal risk you know. Do you think we should lower our standards to the point where we become a dumping ground for beef that nobody else wants, U.S. OTM BEEF

Tam-- Would this be another inconsistency that CFIA and USDA change daily or weekly? What happened to the procedures that were in effect as of May 2003 that were set up over years of study to guarantee the respective cattle herds and nations consumers? No wonder the Judge ruled they are trying to find and changing the science to match the political whims.........

OT-obviously the same safeguards put in place by both Countries at the same time did not work totally in protecting NA, from BSE, so you need to adapt and change to address the current situation.

Why don't Canada lead and show the world that OTM beef is safe? Then I bet the export markets will open for them after they set an example. (heard this one post after post of USA, but guess it doesn't apply to Canada). Even when they know that no cattle because of price will be moving North.

Oldtimer said:
Maple Leaf Angus said:
So, OT, if bill clinton would be a federal judge and sucked up to r-calf $, I suppose you'd call him "honourable" too. :)

If he was a US Federal Judge I would call him " Your Honor"...

So you have now established for us, how much credibilty goes with the position of a US federal judge. :oops:

Thank you, OT.

rancher said:
Why don't Canada lead and show the world that OTM beef is safe? Then I bet the export markets will open for them after they set an example. (heard this one post after post of USA, but guess it doesn't apply to Canada). Even when they know that no cattle because of price will be moving North.

We lead you don't follow Canada is as far out ahead of you now that you will never catch up. I.E testing, Traceing our domestic herd, accepting beef and cattle from a country of minimal risk , processing cattle into safe beef, holding on to consumer confidence in the wake of BSE, feed ban regulations and proven compliance. Do you want me to go on, It was recommended by the OIE that the US take a leadership roll in trade matters by adopting import/export policy in accordance with international standards. But I guess you will let Canada do that for you too as we drag you kicking and screaming into the 21st century. How long do you think it will be before you can trace the whole US domestic herd and age verify slaughter cattle? 2 maybe 3 years if you are lucky? Or are you one of those that still think you can do that with your state by state brand systems when some states don't have a brand system?

Murgen said:
OT-obviously the same safeguards put in place by both Countries at the same time did not work totally in protecting NA, from BSE, so you need to adapt and change to address the current situation.

US producer response to US beef Indusrty change
Well Murgen the safeguards worked from 1986 when BSE was discovered until 2005 to protect us why should we change the rules now. :roll:
We never had a problem before by feed chicken litter and condemned pet food that contain ruminant renderings to our herd Why should we stop now Besides it will cost to much to dispose of these products if we can't feed them to our herd :roll:
We never had to clean up our feed system before so why should we do it now just keep Canadian SRM's out of the US and we will be OK. :wink: :roll:
We have been branding cattle for over a hundred years it worked then why change to a national ID system :roll:
Even though we don't trust the packers as far as we can throw them our export markets should just take their word for where the beef came from and how old the animals are. :roll:
We shouldn't have to be burdened with the cost to prove it to them with a National ID system that can age verifiy by birth date :roll:
Even though the BSE test is not accurate enough to pick up a positive BSE animal if she isn't showing clinical signs or is under 30 months of age we should just test everything it's only a $20 test and then we won't lose the price of the SRM's at slaughter by having to remove them to insure the beef is safe for consumers :roll:
We could then go back to feeding them to our herd and consumers and just take a change that the test wasn't wrong and we aren't spreading the disease even farther :roll:
Just have the packers (the guys we as producers don't trust) label the Beef, even though they have no way of verifying the label, in the grocery store. The consumer don't need to know that the food service beef they eat is imported :roll:
As long as we label it the consumer can eat at their own risk and we don't have to bother to make sure our beef is as safe as we told them it was the Safest Beef in the WORLD and they should just believe us :roll:

Isn't that about all the answer we have heard about changes to the US beef industry oh I missed the biggest one

The Washington cow was found in our food chain and her SRM's could have entered our system either into the food chain or possibly the non compliant feed system but as soon as we found out she was born and raised in Canada we knew we had nothing to worry about in our system. We are still BSE free even though our trading partners don't believe it :roll:

Tam:"US producer response to US beef Indusrty change."

How do you know what the US producer thinks? Personally, I'm sick of your snide and condescending attitude. I'm not an R-calfer but I am patriotic.
No, the USDA has not made the best decisions but neither has Canada!
The way your guvment swept BSE under the rug on the 1993 positive animal is all the proof one needs.
Just because you don't like the R-calfers it don't give you the right to put all of the US producers in the same bracket.
You can say your piece without running down all of us.

Tam said:
Murgen said:

US producer response to US beef Indusrty change
Well Murgen the safeguards worked from 1986 when BSE was discovered until 2005 to protect us why should we change the rules now. :roll:
We never had a problem before by feed chicken litter and condemned pet food that contain ruminant renderings to our herd Why should we stop now Besides it will cost to much to dispose of these products if we can't feed them to our herd :roll:
We never had to clean up our feed system before so why should we do it now just keep Canadian SRM's out of the US and we will be OK. :wink: :roll:
We have been branding cattle for over a hundred years it worked then why change to a national ID system :roll:
Even though we don't trust the packers as far as we can throw them our export markets should just take their word for where the beef came from and how old the animals are. :roll:
We shouldn't have to be burdened with the cost to prove it to them with a National ID system that can age verifiy by birth date :roll:
Even though the BSE test is not accurate enough to pick up a positive BSE animal if she isn't showing clinical signs or is under 30 months of age we should just test everything it's only a $20 test and then we won't lose the price of the SRM's at slaughter by having to remove them to insure the beef is safe for consumers :roll:
We could then go back to feeding them to our herd and consumers and just take a change that the test wasn't wrong and we aren't spreading the disease even farther :roll:
Just have the packers (the guys we as producers don't trust) label the Beef, even though they have no way of verifying the label, in the grocery store. The consumer don't need to know that the food service beef they eat is imported :roll:
As long as we label it the consumer can eat at their own risk and we don't have to bother to make sure our beef is as safe as we told them it was the Safest Beef in the WORLD and they should just believe us :roll:

Isn't that about all the answer we have heard about changes to the US beef industry oh I missed the biggest one

The Washington cow was found in our food chain and her SRM's could have entered our system either into the food chain or possibly the non compliant feed system but as soon as we found out she was born and raised in Canada we knew we had nothing to worry about in our system. We are still BSE free even though our trading partners don't believe it :roll:

Murgen and Tam-- I agree the US still has many loopholes in our BSE prevention safeguards-- That is one of the main reasons we should not be importing cattle or beef in from a higher risk country- not until we plug up those holes and guarantee that these high risk imports won't endanger the US herd and US consumer......

hat: "They all do this, it's the reason I don't pity them one bit for the situation their in."

Some do this because of the bold faced lies your chosen organization, R-CULT, has stated about the safety of their product.

Their reaction to these lies provides you with the justification you are desperately seeking to support R-CULT's lies.

This isn't about the reaction, this is about the lies that caused that reaction. The lies that R-CULTers like you blindly support.

The lies that we will have to live by in the event that we have another case of BSE tracked to a domestic animal.

R-CALF'S POSITION IS CARVED IN STONE!

SRM REMOVAL, INCREASED BSE SURVEILANCE, REMOVAL OF POSITIVES FROM THE FOOD CHAIN, AND THE FEED BAN DOES NOT ASSURE CONSUMER SAFETY.

Those same rules will apply to the U.S. if that time ever comes.

At that point you can just sit in the nest you sh*t in for the lies you told about the safety of Canadian cattle and Canadian beef.

~SH~

At that point you can just sit in the nest you sh*t in for the lies you told about the safety of Canadian cattle and Canadian beef.

Don't worry. The slander/libel suit is coming. They've named Bullard, Leo McDonnel, Pat Goggins and Lloydd De Bruycker as well as a few other R-CALF members who have made false statements to the press. Wonder if Oldtimer is on the list. Looks like some of us Canadians are gonna own some prime real estate in Montana right away.

Latest posts