• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

1994 Cummins

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Angus Cattle Shower

Reaction score
I'm still looking for the right truck! with that being said, I have found a 94 Cummins 3/4 ton, standard regular cab long box. 460,000km for 5k. I thought it was not too bad, but Dad thinks with that many kilometers I will be putting money I can't afford into the motor. How are these trucks? How much does it hurt to pay for the parts? Anything I should or should not be expecting from it?

Take care,

Alex

If the oil pre assure is good, and no leaks to speak of about all that can go wrong is lift pump, and injector pump, Lift pump was 120 about and inj pump was 18 about. If you have any mechanical ability you can change both of them yourself. That truck's body will fail before the engine does. My 95 had 300 plus and just not the kind you want to pull load a long way from home in but for 100 mi of home it was good.

it is just getting broken in at 400k !! those cummins motors run forever
only problem with a cummins, they are in a damned old Dodge.... hope to yank my cummins out, and put it in a Ford...then it will be JUST RIGHT.

jigs said:
only problem with a cummins, they are in a damned old Dodge.... hope to yank my cummins out, and put it in a Ford...then it will be JUST RIGHT.

Are you sure you want to waste a cummins on a ford? :shock:

3words said:
jigs said:

my 98 1 ton rides like a lumber wagon...want to get back into a 3/4 for a better ride, and no duals....but I just love that engine too much to give it up....really want a newer Ford, drop out that crappy 6.0 and throw the cummins in there.....

I've seen the cummins go for a lot of miles BUT ? I've seen two in the last year where there is a bolt that comes lose and destroys the front timing cover and is about a $3000 fix so I have been told, maybe some one that knows more would have more information for I do not know the years with the problem ?? Wish I could tell you more but don't own one ?? Good luck 101

101 Thats the killer dowel pin. Check Turbo Diesel Registry on how to do the fix.

I was looking at a 94 recently and it sold close to $8K

Id say $5K fro a nice broken in one in a flash.

ML

# 1 son has a '91 with a Cummins and it has to have over 400,000 mi. on it. He has to work on the truck, tranny, etc, some but that motor just runs and runs.

We had a '73 Dodge 3/4 ton and swore I'd never own another one, but so impressed with my son's that a little over a yr. ago I bought an '06 3/4 with the Cummins.

jigs said:
3words said:
jigs said:

my 98 1 ton rides like a lumber wagon...want to get back into a 3/4 for a better ride, and no duals....but I just love that engine too much to give it up....really want a newer Ford, drop out that crappy 6.0 and throw the cummins in there.....

I can agree on the 6.0 deal, but I would just as soon replace it with a 7.3. Every bit as good as any Cummins ever made, and it will fit.

Silver said:
jigs said:
3words said:

I can agree on the 6.0 deal, but I would just as soon replace it with a 7.3. Every bit as good as any Cummins ever made, and it will fit.

But then you have to drive an all Ford product :wink: :lol:

Angus Cattle Shower said:
Silver said:
jigs said:

But then you have to drive an all Ford product :wink: :lol:

Yup! Got one of each, far prefer the Ford on most counts :wink:

Silver said:
jigs said:
3words said:

You must have really driven some wore out cummins,if you think a 7.3 is as good.My 7.3 that i had couldn't even fight it's way out of a wet paper bag,so i took it to the diesel shop to get the pump checked out.He took it for a drive and said no thats how much power those 7.3's have.Thats when the searched started to find a cummins.

Angus Cattle Shower said:
I'm still looking for the right truck! with that being said, I have found a 94 Cummins 3/4 ton, standard regular cab long box. 460,000km for 5k. I thought it was not too bad, but Dad thinks with that many kilometers I will be putting money I can't afford into the motor. How are these trucks? How much does it hurt to pay for the parts? Anything I should or should not be expecting from it?

Take care,

Alex

I think that is more then enough money for that truck.I bought a 1998 dodge cummins 3/4ton 4by4 with 220000 kilometres on it for $8000 almost 2 years ago already.Just be patiant there are good deals out there to be had,just got to be ready to react when you see them.

3words said:
Silver said:
jigs said:

You must have really driven some wore out cummins,if you think a 7.3 is as good.My 7.3 that i had couldn't even fight it's way out of a wet paper bag,so i took it to the diesel shop to get the pump checked out.He took it for a drive and said no thats how much power those 7.3's have.Thats when the searched started to find a cummins.

I've driven some good cummins and some not so good. Horsepower on both went up every year. I think if you compare a 2002 7.3 and a cummins of the same year you will find very similar hp and torque, with the 7.3 doing both at a lower rpm. Both the Cummims and the 7.3 tend to last forever, and both respond well to some tweaking. My 7.3 with a Superchip on economy mode makes far more horse power and gets way better mileage than my 2010 Fargo. If I could take the best of both worlds I'd put the Dodge 6 speed, exhaust brake, and quietness and put in in my Ford and I'd be pretty happy. Then I'd be more comfortable, have a better ride, and have a tougher truck with more power. And I'd be safer becauses I wouldn't need to wear that danged paper bag over my head like I do when driving the Dodge :wink:

We've been Ford people since 1967. We felt like traitors when
we bought a 1997 Dodge pickup in 1998.
Since then we've had 3 more Dodges and we have NO complaints. Mr.
FH loves the cummins. The 2011 we have, has an automatic
transmission, which I NEVER thought he would buy, and he really
likes that transmission~he's glad he bought the automatic.
We brought our camper trailer off the Big Horn mountains last
summer and he was really pleased with how the transmission
held the trailer back.

Brand of pickups is like anything else, everyone has their favorites.
I can tell you that here in the oil field there are more Dodges
than anything else and.......look around at a rodeo and what
do you see? Dodge after Dodge. :D

Faster horses said:
held the trailer back.

ok, now that's enough...you've made your point. :twisted: :twisted: :wink:

Faster horses said:
held the trailer back.

Interesting about the Dodges in your oilfields down there. Up here they are the exception, and Fords are the rule.

My Dodge has the auto as well, and combined with the exhaust brake it's a pretty hard combo to beat. Don't get me wrong, the Dodge is a good enough truck. Too bad they don't come with headlights though.

Silver said:
3words said:
Silver said:

And I'd be safer becauses I wouldn't need to wear that danged paper bag over my head like I do when driving the Dodge :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts