• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

2012 Dodge ?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

LazyWP

Reaction score
Any of you run a 6.7 Cummins with the EGR delete on it, and if so what programmer are you using? Trying to get the same mileage out of this one, that I was getting out of my 06. This one has a LONG ways to go, but it sure rides and drives nice.

Angus Cowman just had his done this week. I'll tell him to let up you know next week after he gets to drive it some. His egr went out. Coat half as much to fix it as the delet did.

I have a 07 and the farm has a 09 and we did them both put an edge system on my and increased the fuel mileage up to around 17-18 miles pulling and around 22-23 not. I bought mine right after edge got sued by the feds for the program it was running and not knowing this at the time mine will not delete out all the code errors. The truck runs good and I have not had any problems with it put about 30,000 miles on mine since I did it. The farm truck with the h and s chip seems to run about the same as mine except it did delete out all the codes. With my truck I run my chip in the the the fourth level have found that is where I get the best fuel mileage

cure said:
I have a 07 and the farm has a 09 and we did them both put an edge system on my and increased the fuel mileage up to around 17-18 miles pulling and around 22-23 not. I bought mine right after edge got sued by the feds for the program it was running and not knowing this at the time mine will not delete out all the code errors. The truck runs good and I have not had any problems with it put about 30,000 miles on mine since I did it. The farm truck with the h and s chip seems to run about the same as mine except it did delete out all the codes. With my truck I run my chip in the the the fourth level have found that is where I get the best fuel mileage

Correct me if I'm wrong, but some of these 'chips' can't be sold any longer, the way we understand it. The government cracked down on sales because of removing all the pollution junk that is on the vehicles. Some mechanical shops are really scared of this and won't touch them anymore.

That's what we found, Our nephew who owns a shop had to pull some strings to get ours and it wasn't easy.

I have also heard of huge fines and what not for changing a new pickup over to straight pipe. I know the exhaust is pretty clean coming out the back of one with the factory stuff all intact. But with it off milage will improve 20% at least so how does that factor in? We got to use more resources to be more environmentally friendly?

I've read that my '14 Ram Diesel will go into limp mode if any of the emission devices are tampered with. Also, in warm weather it almost never does the "active regeneration" thing. When it's cold out, unless you're running down the hiway, it regenerates maybe a couple times a day. It definitely stinks and has low speed driveability issues when it starts the regen.

Lots of modding going on with these trucks. A 'programmer' can do a lot for a truck. Chips were used in the old strokes.

I played mechanic back in the early 90's and even back then there was a $10,000 fine for any business that messed with any emissions.
I am really leaning towards a H &S Mini Max. Seams the simplicity and the ability to do the EGR delete.
Its sad that the EPA has messed with all the engines. Imagine the kind of mileage and power these newer engines could produce, with out all the emissions garbage. Then again, it took the EPA to get them to this point.
Its kind of embarrassing to have a diesel idling, and dripping water out the exhaust. Mine is every bit as rusty as a gas burner. :evil:

LazyWP said:
I played mechanic back in the early 90's and even back then there was a $10,000 fine for any business that messed with any emissions.
I am really leaning towards a H &S Mini Max. Seams the simplicity and the ability to do the EGR delete.
Its sad that the EPA has messed with all the engines. Imagine the kind of mileage and power these newer engines could produce, with out all the emissions garbage. Then again, it took the EPA to get them to this point.
Its kind of embarrassing to have a diesel idling, and dripping water out the exhaust. Mine is every bit as rusty as a gas burner. :evil:

When all the emission junk is off them, they can idle with no problem. They told us not to let ours idle when we bought it. Also, the 2011 don't have the urea to deal with.

Faster horses said:
LazyWP said:

When all the emission junk is off them, they can idle with no problem. They told us not to let ours idle when we bought it. Also, the 2011 don't have the urea to deal with.

2012 was the last year for no urea. I had it idling while I was loading the skidsteer, and all my junk. Looked and smelled just like a gasser. I like the power and the ride, but sure am disappointed with how they have the exhaust throttled back to the point it is choking out the performance.

From what I've seen so far I'd sooner deal with the urea than the DPF. At least you can idle the urea engines. My Dodge would only regen until the filter was 60% plugged, and I understand from talking to other folks this is the norm. A 60% plugged exhaust system does not sound like a good way to run in my opinion.

Silver said:
From what I've seen so far I'd sooner deal with the urea than the DPF. At least you can idle the urea engines. My Dodge would only regen until the filter was 60% plugged, and I understand from talking to other folks this is the norm. A 60% plugged exhaust system does not sound like a good way to run in my opinion.

I have only put about 3000 miles on mine, and I don't think it has ever done the regen, anyway no that I know of.

LazyWP said:
Silver said:

I have only put about 3000 miles on mine, and I don't think it has ever done the regen, anyway no that I know of.

It is true that they seldom regen if they are driven mostly at operating temp. If they spend much time idling or are run for shorter periods of time where they don't get a chance to be driven any significant distance they are a problem. For example, when calving I make many trips to the calving pen every day / night, the distance is about 1.5 miles. When I had this truck I could often be found driving aimlessly around the community at 2 AM waiting for the dang thing to regen when all I wanted was to go to sleep. So I applied the same logic to my truck as I do for the cows that are ornery, cost me excessive sleep, and are a pain in the butt..... it got culled :wink:
I think it would generally be a good enough setup in certain circumstances, but I need a truck to run properly under all circumstances.

Silver said:
LazyWP said:
Silver said:

It is true that they seldom regen if they are driven mostly at operating temp. If they spend much time idling or are run for shorter periods of time where they don't get a chance to be driven any significant distance they are a problem. For example, when calving I make many trips to the calving pen every day / night, the distance is about 1.5 miles. When I had this truck I could often be found driving aimlessly around the community at 2 AM waiting for the dang thing to regen when all I wanted was to go to sleep. So I applied the same logic to my truck as I do for the cows that are ornery, cost me excessive sleep, and are a pain in the butt..... it got culled :wink:
I think it would generally be a good enough setup in certain circumstances, but I need a truck to run properly under all circumstances.

For driving those short distances, wouldn't a gasoline engine be better?
Our diesel never goes for short distances.

Absolutely a gas burner would be better, especially in cold weather. They start easier, don't need to be plugged in, warm up faster, don't need to add Power Service, and for now, gas is $1.20/gallon cheaper than diesel.

Went with H&S tuner XRT Pro race tuner ,H&S EGR delete and a flo max exhaust around $1800 thru amazon came from a company named
Diesel performance or DPF
As for needing the system with guages (H&S mini max) unless you have it tuned on the high setting or are using it as a race truck or hotrodding you dont need the guages
Mileage on my truck was around 22mpg on the way home from the shop driving thru memphis

Latest posts