• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

2nd Annual Coyote Calling Contest

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Northern Rancher writes: "Well I must admit you are the queen of cut and paste-have at them 'yotes Annie Oakley lol."

Sorry Northern Rancher but if you have a point, I missed it! :???:

LBelle: When one feels very strongly about something, they often respond while ticked off and forget what they previously wrote. I have done the same. I will agree to disagree with this one as I am sure my opinion means nothing anyway. I hope you find a solution to your problems although I don't believe the way to kill flees is with a baseball bat! :) More get hurt than just the flees!

Have a nice day!

That was for Liberty Belle-I like the way she dissects a post phrase by phrase-I'm done arguing with her-just glad I'm here and she's there. I imagine fish and game will really respiond to a complaint coming from that ranch.

NR- I am not going to fight LB's battles or speak for her, so you know that right off. This ranch is in the same county as hers and I am aware of all she speaks of. If we have a problem with a hunter or a CO tresspassing, the sheriff will handle it for us. I would not call the CO in the first place, because of the experiences I have had in the past. And I have had the sheriff help me out this year and he did a very good job of it I might add. We have NO hunting of any kind shape or form here this last couple years.

At least that I am aware of. :shock:

Trespassing is trespassing in my book.

Thanks for your comments jake. I appreciate you helping to enlighten out-of-the-area folks who don't understand our situation.
fedup2:LBelle: When one feels very strongly about something, they often respond while ticked off and forget what they previously wrote. I have done the same. I will agree to disagree with this one as I am sure my opinion means nothing anyway. I hope you find a solution to your problems although I don't believe the way to kill flees is with a baseball bat! More get hurt than just the flees!
We have found the solution. By not allowing hunters, we lose nothing. If, at some future date those big rack bucks look like they might be worth a lot of jingle to the right pay hunter, we may decide to open to pay hunters, for the right price, and take a chance that GF&P would be stupid or belligerent enough to violate our property rights. At least then we would be paid for our trouble, a decision that more folks have been making lately.

After all, what does the landowner stand to gain from allowing free hunting now? GF&P and their "our way or the highway" policies have ruined a huge amount of free hunting for the average hunter and his kids. In the over a century that our families have been on this ranch, no one has ever been charged for the right to hunt. That has changed forever.

Thanks for your concern.

Northern Rancher: I'm done arguing with her-just glad I'm here and she's there.
Well, I guess that makes two of us… I am getting pretty good with the copy and paste though, don't you think?

I imagine fish and game will really respiond to a complaint coming from that ranch.
I'd be willing to bet GF&P's response to any complaints we have will be rapid and fair. They wouldn't dare do anything else. You forget that we also have REAL law enforcement officers in the country, as jake just mentioned, and they can handle a whole lot more than the deer police can.

I do have a question for you – why should it bother you that we have locked our land to hunters? It IS our land and that makes it our decision, does it not?

Now, on a totally unrelated subject – I read on one of your other posts about some treasures from your Scottish ancestors you found and I just read a book you would probably like, I know I did. I am Scotch-Irish also, with just enough blood from other nationalities mixed in to keep me humble (that was a joke, R2) and I picked this book up on the way home from Dallas that I'm betting you, and every other Scot or Irishman, would love.

It is called "Born Fighting" (what does that say about us?) and this quote from the fly leaf tells about it: In his first work of nonfiction, bestselling novelist James Webb tells the epic story of the Scots-Irish, a people whose lives and worldview were dictated by resistance, conflict, and struggle, and who, in turn, profoundly influenced the social, political, and cultural landscape of America from its beginnings through the present day.

It's good reading and explained a lot of things about the Scots–Irish (or Scotch-Irish), that I never knew. It was also a lot like looking through the old trunk in Grandpa's attic and finding the same sort of things you must have found. I'll post more about the book in the Coffee Shop soon.

LB: "We have found the solution. By not allowing hunters, we lose nothing. If, at some future date those big rack bucks look like they might be worth a lot of jingle to the right pay hunter, we may decide to open to pay hunters, for the right price........"

I have no problem with this LB. I hope it works out for you & you make a little money. That is what my friends in SD tell me this whole thing is about anyway & the rest is B.S. I am starting to see their point.

Have a nice evening.

Hey fedup2, I don't think that is a fair characterization whatsoever. I don't really feel like going through this AGAIN, but whatever.

It is not about money PERIOD. We have NEVER ONCE EVER asked a hunter to pay for the PRIVLEDGE to hunt here. And this ranch probably has some of the choicest antelope hunting in the whole state. Seriously.

This lockout snowballed from other problems area ranchers were having with the GF&P. It became a property rights issue in the end because that was where the root of the arguments both sides had were founded in. It is unfortunate that the aerial hunting issue had ranchers on either side of that particular argument that started this, because had it been just been the CO trespass issue in the first place, most all local ranchers would have been in the lockout camp.

When I had the problem earlier this year with the slob hunters camping on our property, the sheriff told the dipsticks that property rights are just behind murder and domestic issues to most local residents. And he was right. If allowing hunters to come on our property makes us lose our property rights, then our only recourse is to not allow hunters. Boy that is simple. I don't really give a rip either way whether we have hunters, but I do enjoy seeing several of our hunter freinds when they do come out to hunt.

What pisses me off is that a lot of hunters think that they are doing us a big favor, and that is our benefit for letting them hunt, and that they think Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of the 30 point buck are written in our constitution. Enough said.

Oh, and the last thing I wanted to add is that our hunters support the lockout too, because most of them are also landowners and when they look at it that way, they can see our point.

They are not entitlement hunters.

Well said, jake. I guess some folks are just incapable of understanding the rights guarenteed us by the founding fathers in the US Constitution, as well as in most of the state constitutions, and they probably won't miss those rights until theirs are taken away too. They can think what they want, nothing is going to make me give up those rights - not for any amount of money or pressure from Pierre because, like I said before, we have lost nothing by closing our land to hunters and that becomes more apparent every day.

Now I'm going to get down off my soapbox and go to bed... with a couple extra blankets. The way the mercury is dropping we should hit zero before dawn.

My ancestors farm was the oldest farm to remain in one family in Scotland-it was a place in the Highlands where the Presbyterians went to hide whenever there was a Catholic king or queen. That stuff in the attic is very interesting especially the papers from the war years-the speculation makes an interesting read when you know the final outcome.

TRJake, I have no problem with what you write. I do believe you have convictions and are following them. I am sorry you were included on this.
However, Liberty Belle has posted on this topic many times and has contradicted herself almost every post.

She has tried to spin her way out of every statement she has made. Seems her convictions can change at moments notice for the right price! Now she has the brass to wave the constitution in my face and preach to me about rights and freedoms.
This especially irks me as I have paid the price fighting for her freedom, mine and others. No one has to tell me that freedom isn't free! Please do not tell me that I am uncapable of understanding rights! I have too many disabilities from that little war in Vietnam trying to protect other's rights & freedoms. No, I don't expect anyone to pin a rose on my ass for doing so!

Hiding behind the flag that others have paid so dearly to protect, to further one's own gains is the worst possible crime one can commit as far as I'm concerned. I won't bother you again with this topic. There was a topic here earlier about people who smoke. I don't have a problem with people who smoke but I do have a problem with people who try to blow smoke up my @ss! I bend over backwards to be decent and civil on this forum but this irks the hell out of me! Have a good evening!

You know fedup2, the more I read your posts the more it seems that you just have to have to last word. It don't make a hill of beans who is right or wrong ,but I do know first hand that if a game warden does not ask for permission, he or she is trespassing. Went through that a couple of years ago when we lived next to a wildlife refuge, and asked the G.W. himself what the law was and that is what he told me. Then I promptly asked him to leave as he was trespassing and did not have written permission from the owner, hubby's boss. :lol: :wink: I also asked him that if a G.W. was breaking the law and it was pointed out to him, would he then have to leave? and dang if he didn't say yes and turned red!!! :lol: :lol: and then , as for the freedom; I just got back from taking my dad to the VA for a checkup and I see men and women who fought for our country who still care for this land and what they when through for my freedom and I say THANK GOD!!, but get a life and quit haranging LB. or is it a women issue you have.... :p :p :p :wink:and PLEASE watch your mouth, I can hear that trash if I want to at our little cowboy bar. what a shame that cowboy just can't talk decently when having a few.

Liberty Belle has posted on this topic many times and has contradicted herself almost every post.

She has tried to spin her way out of every statement she has made. Seems her convictions can change at moments notice for the right price! Now she has the brass to wave the constitution in my face and preach to me about rights and freedoms.
This especially irks me as I have paid the price fighting for her freedom, mine and others. No one has to tell me that freedom isn't free! Please do not tell me that I am uncapable of understanding rights! I have too many disabilities from that little war in Vietnam trying to protect other's rights & freedoms. No, I don't expect anyone to pin a rose on my ass for doing so!

Hiding behind the flag that others have paid so dearly to protect, to further one's own gains is the worst possible crime one can commit as far as I'm concerned. I won't bother you again with this topic. There was a topic here earlier about people who smoke. I don't have a problem with people who smoke but I do have a problem with people who try to blow smoke up my @ss! I bend over backwards to be decent and civil on this forum but this irks the hell out of me! Have a good evening!
And top of the morning to you fedup2!!

I don't suppose you'd care to post a few of those "contradictions"? I'm not smooth or glib enough to spin myself out of anything, but I have never varied from my stand that unless GF&P gets my permission to come onto my private property to do anything, days, weeks or even years before they need it, they are as guilty of trespass as any slob hunter and will be prosecuted accordingly. Now if that sounds like a wishy-washy, spinning, attitude to you, I guess I can't fathom what you would call hardnosed.

As to waving the Constitution in your face – maybe you should read that venerable document you fought to defend, for which I thank you. If you read nothing else in the Constitution, at least read the Fourth Amendment to the Bill of Rights and then tell me where I'm wrong?

Men in my family have fought, and some have died, in every war and conflict this country has been involved in, including the Revolutionary War. One of my dearest friends, a boy raised by my folks, was a young Marine killed in a rice paddy in Vietnam, several other of my close friends and relatives were wounded and their lives altered forever by that war, so I take great exception to statement of yours: "Hiding behind the flag that others have paid so dearly to protect, to further one's own gains is the worst possible crime one can commit as far as I'm concerned."

And, by the way, what is it I'm supposed to be gaining here? I'm sure glad that you have gone out of your way to be civil here - I shudder to think what you'd sound like otherwise. Hope you had a good rest last night after getting all that off your chest.

LB, I am not going to play your little cut and paste game. Anyone who read your posts on this topic here or on bull session can easily see your contradictions. I am sorry I brought up my past experiences. I had no business sharing that with this forum. I did so because I was very upset. I knew it would turn into a game of one up, better than yours story. I just have a hard time dealing with plastic patriots!

Hometown, as far as your little wink wink woman issue thing remark, I find it too childish and pathetically desperate to respond to. If that is the way your preferences swing, it is no business of mine! As far as the you have to have the last word thing, is this the same as saying I will insult you and you better not respond?

TRJake. I owe you an apology. Every year I meet with friends from SD to go fishing or meet in Deadwood. This is where I first learned of this story. One remarked that some were justified but others were using it to jump on the bandwagon to promote fee hunting. Not sure why anyone would need to do that as if you own the land you can charge anyway. I swung too wide a loop and never meant to put you in with the crowd whose convictions can be summed up by the statement: ". If, at some future date those big rack bucks look like they might be worth a lot of jingle to the right pay hunter, we may decide to open to pay hunters, for the right price"!

To the other readers, hometown g said my language belonged in a small town cowboy bar. I used the words hell and @ss. If those words offended you, I apologize. As they are frequently used in the bible, on the air, in newspapers, I felt they were acceptable. I will be careful not to use them again in SD.

Have a nice day!

We also put on a coyote hunt up here in the Watauga, SD area. It will be the 5th Annual NorthWest Shooters Coyote Hunt. It is on Jan 28th, 2006. It has become one of the bigger hunts in Northwestern SD.

It has a 50 team limit. Two man teams - 40.00 entry fee with optional big dog, little dog contest for an additional 20.00

Sign up is now until Jan 27th, or until full. Early registration is advised as we tend to fill up fast. It will be held at the Dakota Countryside Inn, in Watauga SD along Hwy 12. About 30 miles east of Lemmon SD. There will be a free chili and knoefla soup feed. Rules Meeting will take place with a Calcutta to follow. 15% of the Calcutta is donated to the Corson County 4H Shooting Sports Program.

Saturday is the big hunt. Hunters must be checked back in by 7:00 PM MST on Jan 28th at the same place. There will be a FREE Steak Fry for all CONTESTANTS, along with free chili and soup again. We also will have our seminar speaker as well during the check in and point tally.

We have doorprizes and sponsors including, Kings Outdoor World, Western Powders, Velocity Films, Varmint Hunters Association, ELK, Dakota Yote Calls, Verminator Calls, and NorthWest Shooters

For more information please contact:

Clayton Pedeson 1-701-522-3609
John Bubbers 1-605-524-3242
[email protected]
www.northwestshooters.com

We also have upcoming hunts on our website listed with dates, times, rules, and contact information, so check it out.

Thanks you

Clayton Pederson
NorthWest Shooters President
www.northwestshooters.com

NR: My ancestors farm was the oldest farm to remain in one family in Scotland-it was a place in the Highlands where the Presbyterians went to hide whenever there was a Catholic king or queen. That stuff in the attic is very interesting especially the papers from the war years-the speculation makes an interesting read when you know the final outcome.
Northern Rancher, this is fascinating stuff. I'll post an aswer to this in the Coffee Shop when I post some more information about the book "Born Fighting" and leave this site to the Coyote Calling contests.

Shootist - thanks for posting the information about your contest. I knew that you had one but didn't know any details. Happy Hunting!!

Every year I meet with friends from SD to go fishing or meet in Deadwood. This is where I first learned of this story. One remarked that some were justified but others were using it to jump on the bandwagon to promote fee hunting. Not sure why anyone would need to do that as if you own the land you can charge anyway.
Think about what you just said here. What do you think fee hunting has to do with what is ONLY a property rights issue? If we wanted a pay hunting outfit, we certainly didn't need to join the lockout to do it - we have always been free to charge hunters if we wanted to. We just have never wanted to charge hunters. I merely pointed out that in the future that could change if someone stopped by here and offered me a huge amount of money to shoot those big bucks. I sincerely doubt that will happen as we are getting along perfectly well without hunters and without giving the GF&P an excuse to violate our property rights.

I don't know what got your knickers in such a knot over what is essentially none of your business, but I guess that's your problem and we'll just go on with the coyote calling contest without you.

Can't you lighten up a little? I know you have a sense of humor – I just read that cute story you posted about the country doc getting the five-year-old to help birth his baby brother. Somehow I got off on the wrong foot with you and I obviously have inadvertently offended you somehow to get you this worked up. I apologize for whatever it was, although I will never apologize for protecting my property rights.

I truly do wish you well and thank you for your military service. Now, can we leave it there because I can't see that either of us has anything to gain by shouting insults at each other?

Boy if I wasn't coaching hockey-Ty plays AA-we'd be down there in a minute-my buddies kids from Sturgis are hunting nuts too. Haven't been there since the border closed.

Latest posts