• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

2nd Annual Coyote Calling Contest

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Liberty Belle

Reaction score
Harding County's 2nd annual Coyote Calling Contest is set for December 17 and 18. Registration for the contest will be at the Number 3 Saloon in Buffalo on Friday, December 16th beginning at 5pm and ending at 8pm. Entry fee is $50 for a one or two man team and there will be check-ins each evening.

They will run the contest a little differently than they did last year, so if you should happen to get skunked the first day, you'll still have a chance at some prize money. Prize money will be paid for each of the day winners and overall winners. Any sponsors are welcomed, with all money after advertising expenses being added to the entry fees and split among the contest winners.

The aerial predator control pilots are staying on the ground until after the contest, unless someone is having predator problems, so there should be plenty of the mangy varmints to go around.

If you want someone to shoot coyotes on your place or have any questions contact Wayne Lee at (605)866-4653 or Rob Fox at (605)375-3427.

LB, this was a good idea! Our Coyote Calling Contest is set for January 6-7-8. The Baker Chamber of Commerce supports it. We jackpot the entry fees and last year the pots were big. We also have a "Big Dog" and "Little Dog" pot that everyone can buy into and it paid off real well also. Information can be fournd at bakermt.com. If there isn't much on the website yet, there will be soon!

My dad for years along with a friend did the coyote calling contest at Martin, SD . He and his pardner won 7 out of 8 years and even got state 1 year at Phillip. Of course that was when people didn't try and cheat, planes that wasn't part of the games, neither was hunting dogs. To this day, dad still has his plaques that he won ,up all over the house and loves to tell the stories. :p :lol: :D :lol: :p :wink:

Is the lock out land open for coyote hunting?
Ours is. Anyone who wants to shoot a coyote here is welcome, including the game warden, but they all have to ask first. GF&P is NOT welcome on our land without asking and if we should happen to catch one of them here without permission, no matter what they say they are doing, they will be taken to court and charged with trespassing like any other violator.

hometowngurl - does your Dad still hunt coyotes? He's sure welcome to join the fun up here is he wants.

Liberty Belle said:
Is the lock out land open for coyote hunting?
Ours is. Anyone who wants to shoot a coyote here is welcome, including the game warden, but they all have to ask first. GF&P is NOT welcome on our land without asking and if we should happen to catch one of them here without permission, no matter what they say they are doing, they will be taken to court and charged with trespassing like any other violator.

hometowngurl - does your Dad still hunt coyotes? He's sure welcome to join the fun up here is he wants.

If you allow hunting how is to be policed?

Liberty Belle said:
If you allow hunting how is to be policed?
What's to be policed about shooting coyotes? We'll take care of trespassers and I can't think of anything else that needs to be handled, can you?

I thought the idea of the lockout was NO HUNTERS=NO GAME WARDENS. Now you want to let hunter back in but not the game wardens. Looks like a little having the cake and eating it to.

I thought the idea of the lockout was NO HUNTERS=NO GAME WARDENS. Now you want to let hunter back in but not the game wardens. Looks like a little having the cake and eating it to.
How so? There is no season on coyotes. They can be hunted at any time of year, any where you can find one, and all you need is a general hunting license to shoot them. It's no different than hunting rabbits or skunks.

There is no way on God's green earth that a game warden could justify driving on my place to check tags because they don't need one. The game warden doesn't even need a tag. He does need my permission before coming onto my private property though, or there will be charges brought.

What kind of laws do you have up there? Are your game wardens free to violate private property rights with impunity or do they ask permission before coming on to your land?

What's worse being posted to Iraq or being a game warden in South Dakota. Coyotes can be hunted year round in Saskatchewan also but we still have game laws involving them-no chasing with vehicles,no night hunting,no hunting within 500 yards of buildings etc. So I guess there are some things to be policed about hunting coyotes. Funny thing I thought all you gunslingers who headshoot deer with .223's would of exterminated the coyotes by now.

Liberty Belle said:
How so? There is no season on coyotes. They can be hunted at any time of year, any where you can find one, and all you need is a general hunting license to shoot them. It's no different than hunting rabbits or skunks.

There is no way on God's green earth that a game warden could justify driving on my place to check tags because they don't need one. The game warden doesn't even need a tag. He does need my permission before coming onto my private property though, or there will be charges brought.

What kind of laws do you have up there? Are your game wardens free to violate private property rights with impunity or do they ask permission before coming on to your land?

You have said how you have so many big Bucks since the lock out . What's to say a poacher wouldn't use the guise of coyote hunting to take down some Trophy bucks for the antlers to sell. Tens of thousands of dollars involved.

What's worse being posted to Iraq or being a game warden in South Dakota.
To the best of my knowledge, no game warden has been shot in South Dakota, not even for trespassing, so I guess I'd have to say they have the safest job.

Coyotes can be hunted year round in Saskatchewan also but we still have game laws involving them-no chasing with vehicles,no night hunting,no hunting within 500 yards of buildings etc. So I guess there are some things to be policed about hunting coyotes.
Nothing on your list we can't take care of ourselves and if we do catch a hunter violating any of these things, you can be sure that we will call either the game warden or the sheriff, wouldn't you?

Funny thing I thought all you gunslingers who headshoot deer with .223's would of exterminated the coyotes by now.
??? Now you've got me? I not only don't own a .223, I have never shot a deer in the head or anywhere else. I do shoot coyotes and, even if I were dead-eye Dick, we'd still have the mangy varmints around.

You have said how you have so many big Bucks since the lock out . What's to say a poacher wouldn't use the guise of coyote hunting to take down some Trophy bucks for the antlers to sell. Tens of thousands of dollars involved.
Really? Since we are actively involved in working this ranch, every day I might add, the chances of anything like that happening are about as great as the chances of my husband winning the lottery. All our land is posted and we are vigilant about keeping an eye on things. I don't think there is anyone dumb enough to even think about it, but if there is, you can be sure they will answer to the law.

I don't consider a game warden coming on my property to check out hunters to be infringing on my property rights-it's hard enough to catch poachers without having to ask permission to check out violators. I do know that our system works because of the incredible hunting we have up here-as for being shot I was getting at most irag's are probably more openminded and reasonable to deal with than you South Dakotan ranchers lol. As for headshotting deer some of your compatriots were posting earliar about that practice. Thank god we live in Saskatchewan where we have game laws that are followed and enforcement officers who are allowed to enforce them-trust me I'm not a lover of laws a or game wardens biut I'm also not so naieve as to think we don't need them. I can just imagine the chaos if 'WE TOOK CARE OF THINGS OURSELVES' LOL.

I don't consider a game warden coming on my property to check out hunters to be infringing on my property rights-it's hard enough to catch poachers without having to ask permission to check out violators.
I guess if it doesn't bother you to have folks driving around on your land without either your knowledge or permission, it doesn't bother me. More power to you – let 'em all on.

I do know that our system works because of the incredible hunting we have up here-as for being shot I was getting at most irag's are probably more openminded and reasonable to deal with than you South Dakotan ranchers lol.
I hate to break it to you this bluntly, but I could care less about whether the hunting is incredible or not. I do care passionately about my private property rights and I admit to being very close-minded on the subject. I am very reasonable if my rights are treated with respect, instead of being treated like a "subject of the crown", so to speak.

As for headshotting deer some of your compatriots were posting earliar about that practice. Thank god we live in Saskatchewan where we have game laws that are followed and enforcement officers who are allowed to enforce them-trust me I'm not a lover of laws a or game wardens biut I'm also not so naieve as to think we don't need them. I can just imagine the chaos if 'WE TOOK CARE OF THINGS OURSELVES' LOL.
I haven't noticed any chaos around here, if anything, there is MORE respect for law and the rights of others since the lockout began. Even criminals respect the rights of folks who demand that those rights be respected, or at least they are not dumb enough to challenge those rights.

This isn't coming across right. You are locking out deer hunters to punish the game and fish dept because you don't want them to have the revenue from hunting licenses. A deer license for residents is $15 & non residents $55. Now you want these same hunters to spend $29 for a small game license and non residents to spend $110 for the same small game license to take care of your coyote problems! I hope these people respect your wishes & not one hunter shows up to be used!

This can be spun every direction and it still comes out the same. The game and fish better damn well stay off your land unless you feel you need them for something & hunters better damn well stay off your land unless you need them for something also! Sorry, but this has an odor to it!

This isn't coming across right. You are locking out deer hunters to punish the game and fish dept because you don't want them to have the revenue from hunting licenses. A deer license for residents is $15 & non residents $55. Now you want these same hunters to spend $29 for a small game license and non residents to spend $110 for the same small game license to take care of your coyote problems! I hope these people respect your wishes & not one hunter shows up to be used!

This can be spun every direction and it still comes out the same. The game and fish better damn well stay off your land unless you feel you need them for something & hunters better damn well stay off your land unless you need them for something also! Sorry, but this has an odor to it!
You seem to have missed the point entirely. We are not locking out hunters to starve out GF&P. We are locking hunters out so GF&P hasn't got the excuse of having to violate our private property rights to check deer tags and to see if the hunter is hunting in the right area, etc. Now we don't mind game wardens checking on hunters, what we DO mind is ANYONE, hunter, game warden or Joe Six-pack, trespassing on our property without our knowledge or consent, which is easily obtainable for the game warden over a cup of coffee at our kitchen table. These guys are not the enemy. They are supposed to open channels of communication with the landowners in their districts. Why is it too much to ask that they follow what is official game and fish policy, even though they got it stopped from being written into law?

As for needing hunters for anything, we don't. We take care of our own predator problems by taxing ourselves to pay some pretty terrific aerial predator control pilots, plus the locals around here are good about shooting any coyote or fox they see, even we women are pretty good shots.

If anyone wants to call coyotes here though, they are welcome to it and I doubt they will feel used by us allowing them the privilege. If they do, I guess they won't ask and that's fine too.

You have a real nice day now.

Liberty Belle, guess I'm confused again.

I wrote: "This isn't coming across right. You are locking out deer hunters to punish the game and fish dept because you don't want them to have the revenue from hunting licenses."

You wrote: "You seem to have missed the point entirely. We are not locking out hunters to starve out GF&P. We are locking hunters out so GF&P hasn't got the excuse of having to violate our private property rights to check deer tags and to see if the hunter is hunting in the right area, etc.

As I have been following this for some time, this is what confused me.

Posted: by Liberty Belle :Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:32 pm in response to SH
"Don't even pretend that you aren't smart enough to figure this out for yourself. We don't allow any hunting for any game animal that requires you to buy a license from GF&P because we don't want GF&P to have any more money to use against landowners than they do already. Duh"

"Our – land – is – closed – to – any – hunting – that – requires – the – hunter – to – buy – a – license – from – GF&P.
Did that soak in or do I need to retype it for you?"
You have a nice day also!

Liberty Belle, guess I'm confused again.

I wrote: "This isn't coming across right. You are locking out deer hunters to punish the game and fish dept because you don't want them to have the revenue from hunting licenses."

You wrote: "You seem to have missed the point entirely. We are not locking out hunters to starve out GF&P. We are locking hunters out so GF&P hasn't got the excuse of having to violate our private property rights to check deer tags and to see if the hunter is hunting in the right area, etc.

As I have been following this for some time, this is what confused me.

Posted: by Liberty Belle :Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:32 pm in response to SH

"Don't even pretend that you aren't smart enough to figure this out for yourself. We don't allow any hunting for any game animal that requires you to buy a license from GF&P because we don't want GF&P to have any more money to use against landowners than they do already. Duh"
We would just as soon the GF&P did go broke, but that is not why we are locked out. I said that this is why we are locked out: "We are locking hunters out so GF&P hasn't got the excuse of having to violate our private property rights to check deer tags and to see if the hunter is hunting in the right area, etc."

"Our – land – is – closed – to – any – hunting – that – requires – the – hunter – to – buy – a – license – from – GF&P.
Did that soak in or do I need to retype it for you?"
Sorry – I guess I didn't make myself very clear here. I should have said any GAME license. It would be pretty tough for the game warden to convince the court that he was caught trespassing on my land when there was no hunting season for him to use to justify his trespass.

If a guy buys a general hunting license and asks my permission, I'm more than tickled to let him shoot the pests.

I stand solidly behind my statement that anyone, hunter, GF&P employee or Joe Six-pack had better have my permission if I catch them on my land or they will be prosecuted. No exceptions.

Any more questions, or have I make myself clear this time?

Latest posts