• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

??????

Help Support Ranchers.net:

AngusCowBoy

Reaction score
I am wondering why some people use mowers and rakes in stead of mower conditioners?

I went back to a double Kosch mower from a NH 1475 18' haybine because my hay was mostly grass and it cuts better. This year I had a flush of Alfalfa that I haven't seen for a long time and it is slow cutting with the mowers but I think my haybine would be continually plugged. The hay cures faster mowed then raked and I can make bigger windrows unless I raked my haybine windrows.

Faster horses said:
On that note, BMR, we are seeing alfalfa in fields that haven't
had alfalfa for years and years. Why do you think that happened?

Duh Faster Horses.... it has to be Global Warming. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

have a cold one

lazy ace

we use a NH 1475, and if someone gave me a mower, i think i'd leave it parked in the yard. hay will darn sure cure faster layed out flat, but i've never used anything that will cut like the 1475. as thick and heavy as our hay is this year, i think it would take a person all day plus a few hours to get anywhere with a sickle mower. the 1475s will cut whatever is in its path, and i've never plugged it up.(close a few times :wink: ) the 1475s are the best cutters out there, IMO. :)

I think some folks like the mowers because if they used a machine that made a windrow they may have to go to the neighbours to retrieve their hay :shock:
Around here we use a Macdon haybine where there is rocks, I don't believe there is a better haybine ever made. Where rocks aren't a problem we use a discbine which is nice because it cuts very nicely and you can cut as fast as your field is smooth. On some fields I can cut 100 acres, then go bale for a few hours.

I agree with Justin, we have a NH 1475 Haybine and we haven't found anything that it won't cut. We get the windrows spread out as far as possible to accomodate the baler and the hay dries fairly quickly. Best cutting machine I have ever ran. :wink:

WYO HEELER said:
I agree with Justin, we have a NH 1475 Haybine and we haven't found anything that it won't cut. We get the windrows spread out as far as possible to accomodate the baler and the hay dries fairly quickly. Best cutting machine I have ever ran. :wink:

My 1475 was a early one with a 2200 header. Maybe the newer version are better. It was mole and gopher mounds that would put dirt under the auger and plug. :mad:

Big Muddy rancher said:
WYO HEELER said:

My 1475 was a early one with a 2200 header. Maybe the newer version are better. It was mole and gopher mounds that would put dirt under the auger and plug. :mad:

my 1475 has the 2300 head. i've haven't been around the earlier ones.

my 1475 has the new head and still plugs :mad:

maybe Justin's soil is sandier or he is lucky enough not to have gophers or moles-idk

anyone tried one of the vermeer tm 1200 or 1400 models yet? no conditioner on them so the hay is layed out fairly flat to cure. With no conditioner rollers to pull they take way less hp to operate. They sound interesting to me.

nebraskadave said:
anyone tried one of the vermeer tm 1200 or 1400 models yet? no conditioner on them so the hay is layed out fairly flat to cure. With no conditioner rollers to pull they take way less hp to operate. They sound interesting to me.

Quite a machine. :)
http://www.bowiecountyequipment.com/dlrindexsend_pg_nv_veh_195669-2011.htm

ive never saw a haybine or anything like that down here. All everybody uses down here is a cutter and a rake. its most likely because our moisture is so high, we actually have to fluff hay before raking and baling.

To answer the original question we use a Rowse double nine hay is thin normally and rocks are plentiful. Both of those are hard for a discbine as I understand.

Denny said:
To answer the original question we use a Rowse double nine hay is thin normally and rocks are plentiful. Both of those are hard for a discbine as I understand.

I prefer the disbine in thin conditions because you can set them on the ground and even take the topsoil if you want it, you just need to throttle way back to do a nice job. Ask gcreek about disbines and rocks..... it can be done. Nice thing about the discbine it you don't need to replace $18 guards every time you tangle with a rock, just a $2 blade sometimes and carry on.

Silver said:
Denny said:

I prefer the disbine in thin conditions because you can set them on the ground and even take the topsoil if you want it, you just need to throttle way back to do a nice job. Ask gcreek about disbines and rocks..... it can be done. Nice thing about the discbine it you don't need to replace $18 guards every time you tangle with a rock, just a $2 blade sometimes and carry on.

My experience with mowers in this rough ground was the outside end was always in the air on hummocks and leaving hay behind.
Compared to the sickle bar haybines we had, the discbines have been half or less the maintenance bill. I bounce over a lot of big solid rocks. :x

We have a sickle mower, have run a discbine and now have a 1600A JD haybine. The sickle mower is fabulous for cutting ditches and is the only thing we have found that will cut prairie for hay. The discbine was fast and blades were cheap, but it took a lot of horsepower. Where it really shone was in thick downed stuff like cutting sloughs and bottoms. The problem with the discbine was accessibility of parts and the spinning parts that make those cheap blades go around started to wear out. Gear boxes are quite a bit more than blades.
Now the haybine we have works well, is pretty simple and not very expensive to fix/run and there are always parts available locally ASAP. We cut hay, greenfeed and swath grazing with it and it has been good and dependable.

NH has an updated hub that the turtle bolts to. Rather than 20 splines it has five. Idea is it is cheaper to replace the $60 hub than the $240 topcap.
I got a couple for spares and will eventually have them all changed over.
I change oil in all gear boxes every year and haven't had much grief with them other than when rocks are involved.

nd said:
my 1475 has the new head and still plugs :mad:

maybe Justin's soil is sandier or he is lucky enough not to have gophers or moles-idk

i don't consider dirt from a gohper mound hanging up on the guards as plugging up. if you have a lot of mounds and they have moisture in them, i think they'll hang up on any machine. i've had that happen a few times this season. plugging up to me is trying to feed to much hay through the machine at one time and getting it stuck between the auger and conditioner. if you are doing that, i'd say ya need to cut at a lower speed.

Latest posts