• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

A big thanks to Lazy WP & LW Leather

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Zilly

Reaction score
For taking me into their home and showing me around the Sandhills. They live on a unique place with unique animals. I met the infamous Soapweed and his bride at cowboy church as well as, many nice people who may or may not be on Ranchers. I also learned quite a bit during my stay.

My first lesson came while fencing, never wear loose pants! Barbed wire will snag anything and try it's best to trip you up. Barbed wire also does not feel all that great when it springs back and gets you in the web of your fingers. Oh! if I ever become a professional post planter, I want to do it in the Sandhills. ;)

Then there was the deer incident. I don't know if Lazy WP wants to share so I won't say anything, but little did I know, I would see something similar two days later.

And of course, after spending a 5 days with folks you get to know them. LW Leather makes a sauce that puts an east coaster's sauce to shame and Lazy WP will never be a jack-man for NASCAR. ;)

Last but not least, you can get hung-up on a soap weed.

Thanks again guys!
Kevin

It was nice meeting you, Zilly. Lazy WP and LW Leather are great folks to hang out with, and they undoubtedly gave you a realistic idea of how life in the Sandhills transpires.

I don't think you got in on any super windy days during your visit, so you haven't genuinely experienced how the rubber really meets the road. :wink: In the case of this breezy country, home is where you hang on to your hat. :cboy: :hat: :tiphat:

There is lots to see in the Sandhills area. There will be more for you to check out on your next vist. Have a great summer.

You can tell the deer stories. They were pretty good, and yes you can post the pictures of me being a NASCAR jackman. And yes it finally arrived!!!!!

001-6.jpg

003-6.jpg

002-5.jpg

We had an absolute great time with Zilly. I don't think I have met anyone more polite, or as efficient as he is.

Soapweed said:
I don't think you got in on any super windy days during your visit, so you haven't genuinely experienced how the rubber really meets the road. :wink:

Oh... I had my share of wind. The return trip was eventful to say the least. Ended up flying through and landing in a tornado warned storm. I love flying and don't get too worked up over bumps, but I was nervous. For a moment, I thought my last words were going to be, "this is going to be interesting". Fortunately, we had an excellent pilot and he wheeled that thing in, landed on one wheel, and got us to the gate safe.

LazyWP said:
And yes it finally arrived!!!!!

What a good surprise to come home to! Looks great! Now you need a racehorse to break it in on....

What a good surprise to come home to! Looks great! Now you need a racehorse to break it in on....[/quote]

She i saying NO to the race horse, but she did sell her paint today, so now there is room at the inn for my race horse. :clap:

As too the deer story, we have a few exotics locked in 2 acre pens. The fence is 8 foot tall Red Brand woven wire. So far this year I have had 2 yearling bucks climb into the pens. The first one I was able to get out pretty easy, and I guess the last one went out easily also. I put my Border Collie onto it, and he held him down until I was able to get up to it.
I've been kicked enough, after shooting a deer that I was pretty gun shy of the hind feet. Evidently, Squeak had exhausted this poor little buck, 'cause he just balled when I got ahold of him. Lisa and Zilly were a couple pens over, and were TOTALLY oblivious as to what I had by the tail. I finally flanked the little bugger, and called Lisa, who still wouldn't pick up. Finally both of them looked my way, and came to my rescue. I got him out of the pens, and sent him on his way.
The next day, Zilly and I were headed to Valentine, when the neighbor gals horse came meandering up onto the highway, right in front of us. Being the nice guy that I am, and thinking that maybe I could set Zilly up with a cute sandhill girl, I baled out an got ahold of her horse. The girls were trying to catch a new born fawn that they had driven a bunch of cows over. They thought they had run the mother off, as she hadn't been seen, since the cattle drive the day before. Anyway, I asked if they wanted the fawn caught, and of course they said yes.
Long story short, I sent Squeak after the fawn. He held him down until the gal could get there to pick him up. About the time she got the fawn lifted up, here COMES MOM. I wasn't so sure that if she wouldn't have put the fawn down, that the doe wouldn't have tried doing some damage to her.

Latest posts