• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

A little bit closer

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
We got another 100 head branded today. Lane and his girl friend helped me corral and sort the she had to go and Lane had a welding project he had to finish so Britt and I plugged away I think it took us around 3 hours to run the 103 hd of calves through. Her husband showed up in time to help us do the cows and they went through pretty quick with just a shot of Express 3 VL5 and a squirt of Cylence.
The calves get Express 5PHM and Fermicon7 Somnugen. I think that covers in 2 needles what Phizer Gold does in 3.

What do the rest of you use?

I think I only have 56 left to brand. Wouldn't hurt my feelings if another 20 or 30 wandered in from around the hill. :D :D

Thats what we use on the calves too... for the last 3 years..... What is Cylence?

We have been doing the calves with Pyramid FP with presponse, and 8 way with somnugen. Males are knife cut at the same time.
The cows get Express 5 with somnugen prior to breeding every year and are boostered with 8 way every few years.
Calves are boostered again 2 weeks pre-weaning.
We don't use a lice/worm control product in the summer, and only occasionally in the fall/winter.
I ran a check out of interest on the BI products last year and found out they would qualify for most organic certifications as well - no GMOs used in the development, creation or production of the products. I don't know about the 8 way we use as it is a Pfizer product.

B Ward, Cylence is for fly and lice control. It seems to keep the flies off for about 3 weeks which seem to help reduce numbers for most of the summer.

RSL Express3 VL5 has Vibrio and lepto, more of a pre breeding vaccine then the Express 5 which is a preconditioning vaccine.

Shortgrass do you use a 7 way with Somnugen? Helps for ITEME.

Big Muddy rancher said:
RSL Express3 VL5 has Vibrio and lepto, more of a pre breeding vaccine then the Express 5 which is a preconditioning vaccine.

You must get your stash stateside. As I understand the product offering here, only express 10 includes the 5 way Lepto.

RSL said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

You must get your stash stateside. As I understand the product offering here, only express 10 includes the 5 way Lepto.

Nope bought it from the Vet in Ogema. Been using it for a few years now.

Latest posts