• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

A little different than the R-Calf "Convention"?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Conman: "Where is 5% of the beef at retail being labled as foreign beef?"

Approximately 20% of our total U.S. beef consumption is imported beef.

Of the imported beef, 75% makes it's way to food service.

Food service is exempt from County of Origin Labeling as the law is currently written.

That leaves 5% of our total U.S. beef consumption labeld as imported under this stupid law called "M"COOL.

WOW! SOME ACCOMPLISHMENT!

Can you comprehend what I have just written or should we go over it again?

~SH~

~SH~ said:

Food service is exempt from County of Origin Labeling as the law is currently written.

That leaves 5% of our total U.S. beef consumption labeld as imported under this stupid law called "M"COOL.

~SH~

So, the old secretary of agriculture can spend 100 million on MID that may be illegal, but not enforce MCOOL. What a racket. I guess he has a few helpers from NCBA and a little cover from Goodlatte, Chambliss and the boys. Too bad this guy didn't come from a real working farm where you really earned a living and learned some real values instead of getting his money from a phony corporate welfare job where all you do is please your massa handin out the moola.

Is any of that 5% being labled, SH, or are you just blowin smoke? Montanna can't have that much beef labled and sold now.

Econ101 said:
~SH~ said:

~SH~

So, the old secretary of agriculture can spend 100 million on MID that may be illegal, but not enforce MCOOL. What a racket. I guess he has a few helpers from NCBA and a little cover from Goodlatte, Chambliss and the boys. Too bad this guy didn't come from a real working farm where you really earned a living and learned some real values instead of getting his money from a phony corporate welfare job where all you do is please your massa handin out the moola.

Is any of that 5% being labled, SH, or are you just blowin smoke? Montanna can't have that much beef labled and sold now.

Maybe SH should have said that 5% would be eligible to be labeled if/when COOL is implemented. I believe the only origin labeled beef currently sold in the USA is the private labeled, such as Laura's Lean, Harris Ranch Beef, and other consumer driven, voluntarily identified and/or labeled beef products.

That is just one of the reasons the COOL law is useless and misleading to consumers, IMO.

MRJ

MRJ, "Maybe SH should have said that 5% would be eligible to be labeled if/when COOL is implemented. I believe the only origin labeled beef currently sold in the USA is the private labeled, such as Laura's Lean, Harris Ranch Beef, and other consumer driven, voluntarily identified and/or labeled beef products. That is just one of the reasons the COOL law is useless and misleading to consumers, IMO. "

Do you realize that there are drugs used on animals in other countries that are banned here? I'd like to think they were banned for a good reason - probably as a consumer health issue. With these wonderful soul-selling free trade pacts we seem to have to get into, we can't force our trade partners to not use those drugs that we deemed too dangerous for us to use - that is a "trade barrier". Trade trumps everything - even your health. With COOL, you have the ability to choose product from countries that have higher standards than others. Everybody does. You don't have to take a chance that you're eating beef from a country where "anything goes".

Now think about that from the viewpoint of not a consumer, but a supplier. What if Oprah or some other idiot has a story on drugs/chemicals used in countries that we trade with - tells how it is banned here and why, then tells of how much we imported from those countries. That is a very real possibility - it's already happened. YOUR product is put in a bad light because you can't say "not mine" because yours is mixed with theirs! What do you think that is going to do to your sales?

Now think of it from the viewpoint of an investor. Millions if not billions of tax dollars have been invested in this country in the name of food safety. After that huge commitment of time and money - and then to not seperate our product from those who haven't made the same commitment means we've just poured money into a hole. Why did we even bother?

Sandbag: "With COOL, you have the ability to choose product from countries that have higher standards than others."

In concept, not in practice.

"M"COOL as written is unenforceable because it prohibited traceback because the import blamers that insisted on proving where beef was "born, raised, and processed" didn't want to be burdened with traceback. Remember the landslide R-CALF vote against "M"ID or did you forget that already???

Perhaps Oprah could do a segment on comparing the BSE precautionary measures in Canada as compared to the US then use R-CALF's statements from their injunction to show how US beef is "contaminated", "high risk", and "diseased" due to having BSE in their native herd. Let R-CALF think about the stupidity of their position on BSE. What do you think that would do to the price of that little sliver of foreign beef?

~SH~

~SH~ said:
Sandbag: "With COOL, you have the ability to choose product from countries that have higher standards than others."

In concept, not in practice.

"M"COOL as written is unenforceable because it prohibited traceback because the import blamers that insisted on proving where beef was "born, raised, and processed" didn't want to be burdened with traceback. Remember the landslide R-CALF vote against "M"ID or did you forget that already???

Perhaps Oprah could do a segment on comparing the BSE precautionary measures in Canada as compared to the US then use R-CALF's statements from their injunction to show how US beef is "contaminated", "high risk", and "diseased" due to having BSE in their native herd. Let R-CALF think about the stupidity of their position on BSE. What do you think that would do to the price of that little sliver of foreign beef?

~SH~

I thought you already agreed to let the market determine the economic validity of traceback, SH. Are you getting on a different horse here just to fight a different fight?

HAY MAKER said:
Yes,it was a little differnt,than the R CALF convention,R_CALF is a straight forward take care of buisness org. they dont have the money to hire the sam elliots to sweet talk the ladies...............good luck
PS just curious who paid sam to give the ladies a thrill ?

He's already paid to do the radio and tv spots. Paid by our beef checkoff dollars.

Hanta Yo said:
HAY MAKER said:
Yes,it was a little differnt,than the R CALF convention,R_CALF is a straight forward take care of buisness org. they dont have the money to hire the sam elliots to sweet talk the ladies...............good luck

He's already paid to do the radio and tv spots. Paid by our beef checkoff dollars.

Does "our" mean NCBA or all livestock producers including R-CALF members. You aren't suggest that Sam showed up at the NCBA convention because his appearance was part of a checkoff contract??

ocm said:
Hanta Yo said:
HAY MAKER said:

Does "our" mean NCBA or all livestock producers including R-CALF members. You aren't suggest that Sam showed up at the NCBA convention because his appearance was part of a checkoff contract??

Boy, aren't you getting testy. "OUR" means EVERYONE WHO PAYS INTO THE CHECKOFF. THAT means every head sold $1.00 goes into the fund. Geeeeesh, picking a fight or what? :???: :???: I believe in the checkoff, we sell cattle, too and I have no problem donating $1.00/hd.

Hanta Yo said:
ocm said:
Hanta Yo said:

Boy, aren't you getting testy. "OUR" means EVERYONE WHO PAYS INTO THE CHECKOFF. THAT means every head sold $1.00 goes into the fund. Geeeeesh, picking a fight or what? :???: :???: I believe in the checkoff, we sell cattle, too and I have no problem donating $1.00/hd.

I do!!! I sell cattle too.. Especially when my checkoff (tax) dollars go to support the entertainment for a party and convention for a Political Action and Lobbying Group (NCBA) that I don't necesessarily agree with there political philosophy.....Any organization that believes in supporting and actively lobbying for the fraud of mislabeling food products and purposely and knowingly deceiving the American consumer as to the country of origin of their food, I can't support......

As one of the Supreme Court Justices mentioned in his opinion on the Checkoff-- this will be what rules the checkoff unconstitutional and kills it.....

Some glitz, glamour and good p.r. for the beef industry. Thousands of people attended and went home feeling good about producing beef...........and the R-Calfers are mad about it? :lol: :clap: :clap: :lol:

Yup, Bill they are. I almost made a comment a couple of posts ago of how this thread took such twists and turns. I would like for OT to prove that NCBA is what he just accused them of doing, maybe I struck a chord in him as he misspelled a word... brain moving faster than the fingers...

"And frankly, when you shoot into a pack of coyotes, the one that jumps straight up in the air is usually the one you've hit......
Just something you might want to consider. "

This was written by "X" in Political Bull and all I can say is this is the best analogy I've heard in a looooooong time. Thanks, X

Sandhusker said:
MRJ, "Maybe SH should have said that 5% would be eligible to be labeled if/when COOL is implemented. I believe the only origin labeled beef currently sold in the USA is the private labeled, such as Laura's Lean, Harris Ranch Beef, and other consumer driven, voluntarily identified and/or labeled beef products. That is just one of the reasons the COOL law is useless and misleading to consumers, IMO. "

Do you realize that there are drugs used on animals in other countries that are banned here? I'd like to think they were banned for a good reason - probably as a consumer health issue. With these wonderful soul-selling free trade pacts we seem to have to get into, we can't force our trade partners to not use those drugs that we deemed too dangerous for us to use - that is a "trade barrier". Trade trumps everything - even your health. With COOL, you have the ability to choose product from countries that have higher standards than others. Everybody does. You don't have to take a chance that you're eating beef from a country where "anything goes".

Now think about that from the viewpoint of not a consumer, but a supplier. What if Oprah or some other idiot has a story on drugs/chemicals used in countries that we trade with - tells how it is banned here and why, then tells of how much we imported from those countries. That is a very real possibility - it's already happened. YOUR product is put in a bad light because you can't say "not mine" because yours is mixed with theirs! What do you think that is going to do to your sales?

Now think of it from the viewpoint of an investor. Millions if not billions of tax dollars have been invested in this country in the name of food safety. After that huge commitment of time and money - and then to not seperate our product from those who haven't made the same commitment means we've just poured money into a hole. Why did we even bother?

Sandhusker, the consumer that is truly concerned will be buying branded, source verified beef. That is what some consumers want, not just generic country of origin. IF there is a real problem with product as you have mentioned, it should and will be addressed in negotiations, IMO. I have heard in the past that many foreign plants put most of ours to shame for cleanliness and care in processing, and the same for pharmaceuticals or chemicals used in producing their beef.

Your scenarios are points to consider, but no more likely to be a real source of problems than beef from Joe Blow who cheats on off-label use of pharmaceuticals that Sid Sixpack told him works better than the legal uses of proper uses. COOL has NO value in finding such problems among the miriad other problems that can occur in domestic beef. Do you realize that drugs legal in the USA are used in illegal ways and that can be very dangerous to consumers, too, if not found. COOL will do nothing to help trace such problems, actually preventing trace-back.

Leading consumers to believe COOL makes all beef perfectly safe is a dangerous and deceptive scam that will come back to haunt the industry if COOL is implemented and any food safety problem is tracked to that "labeled" beef, IMO.

MRJ

Oldtimer said:
Hanta Yo said:
ocm said:

I do!!! I sell cattle too.. Especially when my checkoff (tax) dollars go to support the entertainment for a party and convention for a Political Action and Lobbying Group (NCBA) that I don't necesessarily agree with there political philosophy.....Any organization that believes in supporting and actively lobbying for the fraud of mislabeling food products and purposely and knowingly deceiving the American consumer as to the country of origin of their food, I can't support......

As one of the Supreme Court Justices mentioned in his opinion on the Checkoff-- this will be what rules the checkoff unconstitutional and kills it.....

OT, when are you going to provide any proof to support your ridiculous claims?

1. That packers actually are doing what you claim.

2. That NCBA supports such an action if it did happen.

You are the strangest thing we see on this site.....a Brand Inspector/Sheriff/Judge who does not believe in the premise of INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY.

MRJ

MRJ said:
Sandhusker said:

Sandhusker, the consumer that is truly concerned will be buying branded, source verified beef. That is what some consumers want, not just generic country of origin. IF there is a real problem with product as you have mentioned, it should and will be addressed in negotiations, IMO. I have heard in the past that many foreign plants put most of ours to shame for cleanliness and care in processing, and the same for pharmaceuticals or chemicals used in producing their beef.

Your scenarios are points to consider, but no more likely to be a real source of problems than beef from Joe Blow who cheats on off-label use of pharmaceuticals that Sid Sixpack told him works better than the legal uses of proper uses. COOL has NO value in finding such problems among the miriad other problems that can occur in domestic beef. Do you realize that drugs legal in the USA are used in illegal ways and that can be very dangerous to consumers, too, if not found. COOL will do nothing to help trace such problems, actually preventing trace-back.

Leading consumers to believe COOL makes all beef perfectly safe is a dangerous and deceptive scam that will come back to haunt the industry if COOL is implemented and any food safety problem is tracked to that "labeled" beef, IMO.

MRJ

Leading consumers to believe USDA Inspected makes all beef perfectly safe is a dangerous and deceptive scam that will come back to haunt the industry if USDA Inspected is implemented and any food safety problem is tracked to that "labeled" beef, IMO.

Econ101 said:
MRJ said:
Sandhusker said:

MRJ

Leading consumers to believe USDA Inspected makes all beef perfectly safe is a dangerous and deceptive scam that will come back to haunt the industry if USDA Inspected is implemented and any food safety problem is tracked to that "labeled" beef, IMO.

Econ, it looks like you are trying to 'con' us again! The HACCP inspection system and the USDA inspectors and others involved are not infallible, however,
HACCP, using scientific testing and other modern methods IS superior to the old "look and smell" system of detecting problems with the meat supply.

COOl does NOTHING to improve beef safety, except lead consumers to THINK it does. The majority of imported beef, the POSSIBLY 5% in the retail meat case, is mostly from Canada, with a system commensurate with ours. COOL is all smoke and mirrors so far as beef safety is affected.

MRJ

Old Timer: "I do!!! I sell cattle too.. Especially when my checkoff (tax) dollars go to support the entertainment for a party and convention for a Political Action and Lobbying Group (NCBA) that I don't necesessarily agree with there political philosophy.....Any organization that believes in supporting and actively lobbying for the fraud of mislabeling food products and purposely and knowingly deceiving the American consumer as to the country of origin of their food, I can't support......"

Old Timer,

You have been challenged many, many times to bring one stitch of proof of misuse of checkoff dollars to support your checkoff blaming views. YOU CAN'T! YOU CAN'T PROVIDE ONE STITCH OF PROOF, yet you just keep repeating the same old anti checkoff mantra like the R-CALF programmed clone you are. Just another blamer making statements that he can't prove.

You have been told repeatedly that beef checkoff dollars can not be spent on political lobbying yet you continue on and on with your totally baseless bullsh*t about how your checkoff dollars are funding NCBA. IT'S TOTAL BULL! Not a stitch of truth to it.

If you have ever seen the discussions that go into determining how checkoff dollars are going to be spent, you'd crawl out of the room with your tail tucked between your legs. It's so much easier to sit on the sidelines and bitch than to actually become a legitimate part of the process isn't it? Chronic bitchers like you are a dime a dozen and only serve to slow progress.

BRING SOMETHING TO THE TABLE TO SUPPORT YOUR ALLEGATIONS or it becomes painfully obvious that you are just a clone to the LMA anti checkoff propoganda.

Hanta Yo,

Thank you for standing up for what is right. Blamers like OT need to be put in their place and exposed for their "factually void" views.

Great statement on the jumping coyote. Too funny!

~SH~

Latest posts