• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

About that all volunteer Army

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Well, congratulations. I guess I was a little before your time. You might know my brother from Buffalo though. He will graduate in December. He was on the rodeo team. Did you ever have anything to do with the Cow Calf Unit. I worked there and still keep in touch with the crew there.

I don't know many on the rodeo team. But there can't be too many from Buffalo around. What's the last name? you can PM me if you want. I only visited the CCU for several labs for some animal science classes.

Ben H and sdsu rancher,

I thank you from the bottom of my heart for what you've done for us and for our country and I appreciate you sharing your observations and insight with us.

Your posts were especially meaningful to me today, not only because Memorial Day is upcoming, but because I spent the day at a funeral of my Mom's cousin, a veteran of Korea and son of my great uncle who was a WWI veteran. We had another great uncle who died in France during that same war. This week we learned of the death of my cousin's nephew in Iraq. His nephew's body will return to the states for burial on Tuesday.

Mike volunteered for duty in Iraq and he shared your optimism about the war. I'm posting a story about his death and a picture of this wonderful young man:

MichaelHermanson5-25-06.jpg

Spec. Michael Hermanson, a member of the North Dakota National Guard, was killed Wednesday in combat in Iraq.

North Dakota National Guard loses soldier
by Bob Reha, Minnesota Public Radio
May 25, 2006

A soldier with the North Dakota National Guard has died in Iraq. Military officials say Spec. Michael Hermanson, 21, of Fargo, was killed Tuesday when his vehicle was hit by a rocket-propelled grenade south of Balad, Iraq.

Fargo, N.D. — Michael Hermanson volunteered to serve in Iraq. He was with an Engineer Combat Battalion based in Minot, North Dakota. Hermanson's unit was clearing roadside bombs when it was attacked. Hermanson was single.

His parents, Layne and Scharlotta, and a sister, Lindsey, live in Fargo. Sgt. Dave Somdahl of the North Dakota National Guard says the family is in shock.

"They are dealing with the loss of their oldest child, and they're trying to understand everything that happened with very little information that's available right now," says Somdahl.

Hermanson grew up in Fargo. He attended local schools, including two years at Oak Grove Lutheran school. Steve Carnal, a teacher at Oak Grove, taught Hermanson for two years. Carnal says Hermanson was the kind of student who is hard to forget.

"Michael was one of those young men who had a big smile on his face all the time, and he would just light up the room when he walked in," says Carnal. "He was a very polite, hard-working young man. He had a lot of friends in school, teachers loved him, just a great young man."

Oldtimer said:
Ben H said:
Iraq is headed in the right direction, I have seen myself the improvement of the Iraqi Army and Iraqi Police, they believe in what they are doing. That's why they keep doing what they're doing even though many get killed. In case you forgot, Freedom isn't Free, unfortunately the cost is usually blood. If you haven't been to Iraq, if you haven't served there and seen first hand, if you only go by what you read then shut your pie hole. I've been there, I've seen it, we're doing the right thing.

Thank You Ben H--Thats what the local kids returning are saying too...They are all proud they have been able to do something to help a country again learn what freedom is......

:D

hypocritexposer said:
Oldtimer said:
Ben H said:
Iraq is headed in the right direction, I have seen myself the improvement of the Iraqi Army and Iraqi Police, they believe in what they are doing. That's why they keep doing what they're doing even though many get killed. In case you forgot, Freedom isn't Free, unfortunately the cost is usually blood. If you haven't been to Iraq, if you haven't served there and seen first hand, if you only go by what you read then shut your pie hole. I've been there, I've seen it, we're doing the right thing.

Thank You Ben H--Thats what the local kids returning are saying too...They are all proud they have been able to do something to help a country again learn what freedom is......

The Iraq War began on Thursday, March 20, 2003 and ended on Sunday, December 18, 2011.

Yep- and that comment was made May 14, 2006 which was 3 years into what turned out to be a prolonged 8 years of war.... After 2, 3, 4 or more deployments to Iraq (some coming after/in between deployments to Afghanistan) you didn't hear the confidence coming from the troops as much... Especially those that were there in the later years and already saw the sectarian splits worsening...
Several I talked to (including my son in law who spent two tours there) predicted exactly what is happening today...

I believe the same will happen in Afghanistan- and the drug lords, tribal and/or religious leaders will again rule the country...

Oldtimer said:
hypocritexposer said:
Oldtimer said:

The Iraq War began on Thursday, March 20, 2003 and ended on Sunday, December 18, 2011.

Yep- and that comment was made May 14, 2006 which was 3 years into what turned out to be a prolonged 8 years of war.... After 2, 3, 4 or more deployments to Iraq (some coming after/in between deployments to Afghanistan) you didn't hear the confidence coming from the troops as much... Especially those that were there in the later years and already saw the sectarian splits worsening...
Several I talked to (including my son in law who spent two tours there) predicted exactly what is happening today...

I believe the same will happen in Afghanistan- and the drug lords, tribal and/or religious leaders will again rule the country...

But you're missing the whole point, Dumbazz. At least we gave the Iraqi's the choice and a sliver of freedom. Whether the choose to keep it or not, it's totally up to them. Everyone on earth should have that choice at least once...........

I don't suppose you saw the video of the Iraqi people toppling Hussein's statue????????????????

hypocritexposer said:
Oldtimer said:
Ben H said:

Hmmm, now wait a minute. Hasn't OT been telling us............oh, that's right, different day, different president, different conviction. :roll:

oldtimer forgets that sometimes he straddles the fence :D He gets bit on his butt a lot in things he says one day and contradicts the next

hopalong said:
oldtimer forgets that sometimes he straddles the fence :D He gets bit on his butt a lot in things he says one day and contradicts the next

It's not totally his fault. He suffers from being a serial liar and also possessing no real convictions other than seeing power being concentrated in DC as being a good thing. On almost any issue he first sticks a fat finger in his mouth and holds it up to see which way the political winds are blowing. Tough to be consistent year after year under those circumstances.

Oh, and he's a tool.

Mike said:
Oldtimer said:
hypocritexposer said:

But you're missing the whole point, Dumbazz. At least we gave the Iraqi's the choice and a sliver of freedom. Whether the choose to keep it or not, it's totally up to them. Everyone on earth should have that choice at least once...........

I don't suppose you saw the video of the Iraqi people toppling Hussein's statue????????????????

Maybe they didn't really want a choice?

It seems not as they didn't work hard to maintain the " change" we forced upon them.

Are you so arrogant/stupid to think that we can change 13 centuries of thought and culture with a 10 year war?

They don't have the time to make things work, even if the work is easy. Kneeling towards Mecca five times a day and praying to the Fat Man's "God" takes a lot of time. That, and screwing all the livestock and children of either sex they can get their hands on.

Maybe they're praying for better sex partners? Or younger ones?

kolanuraven said:
Mike said:
Oldtimer said:

Maybe they didn't really want a choice?

It seems not as they didn't work hard to maintain the " change" we forced upon them.

Are you so arrogant/stupid to think that we can change 13 centuries of thought and culture with a 10 year war?
Actually, after 13 centuries of 'thought and culture' as you say, and with all the violence going on all around them (Syria, Iran, al Queda and their suicide bombers on election days), I'd say it's quite remarkable that they've held it together this long.

The Iraqis actually held elections Kola, with slates of candidates representing the Sunnis, the Shiites, the Kurds and secular interests. Have you ever even bothered to review what was accomplished or is it easier just to call others arrogant and stupid because the US dared give them a chance to experience what we believe all humans desire....a chance to control their own political destiny?

Pull your head out of your ass for a few minutes, read the following link, and think about what was accomplished in only a few years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraqi_parliamentary_election,_2014

Latest posts