• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ag-West feeds?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Thanks Devyn for your comments. We know each other pretty well. We seem to like the same bulls at Jorgensen's, and we both supply bulls for them. Yes I'm one of the brothers from the "rez". I was wondering what your thought's might be on feeding some of the protien minerals to heifer calves held over to breed? We have been just feeding them good hay, and breeding them on a little grass in May, or last year we did put out some flax tubs, and some soybean meal about a month before breedin them. and we've had pretty decent results, but I thought a little boost through the winter months might be more useful. I'm also considering their protein mineral for our coming 3 yr olds when we let them graze on range until the snow flies. (Hopefully not until their ready to calve!!) The only time we tried Ag West was the year his makers started watering down the feed, and we got a couple of loads of it that were blue, and started to spoil :x :x , so I know Vince's arguments were warrented. Thanks for any advice or thoughts.

Before you buy a expensive supplement for your heifers, test your
hay. It might be fine and that $12-$25 test could save you a lot
of money. Stearns Labs in Minnesota does a great job, fast turn
around and they are independent. If you want the address, let
me know. Their basic test is $12.

I'd say adding some protein supplement now for your three-year olds would be a good idea. It'll help them utilize the grass better.

As for the calves, their protein requirement isn't too high, it's
energy they need in the winter. Pretty spendy to buy protein to
be converted to energy. We just fed the best grass hay we
could find and our heifers did really well with just hay. It helps
to have it be fine and not coarse, as their rumen isn't as sophisticated
as an older cows and they can break down the finer hay better.
Don't forget to feed them mineral...that's important even for calves.

FWIW...

loomixguy said:
Last I ever heard was he not only had processing problems, but there was pretty much zero distribution for the product he could get made. Nobody wants to drive 2+ hours one way for a ton of mineral.

It might be interesting to see if what is in the bag matches what is on the tag. If he has to use a toll mill for processing, he has no control over what is actually processed and bagged. Pretty poor way to do business.

Down here whoever does the actual manufacturing and bagging has to guarantee that the product meets the guarantees.

TexasBred said:
loomixguy said:
Last I ever heard was he not only had processing problems, but there was pretty much zero distribution for the product he could get made. Nobody wants to drive 2+ hours one way for a ton of mineral.

It might be interesting to see if what is in the bag matches what is on the tag. If he has to use a toll mill for processing, he has no control over what is actually processed and bagged. Pretty poor way to do business.

Down here whoever does the actual manufacturing and bagging has to guarantee that the product meets the guarantees.

I recently read somewhere that although the minimum should be met in bagged feed, it is sadly not the case. The figure I recall was there was about a 12% failure rate nationally amongst bagged feed tested against the tag.....ADM/MoorMan's fail rate was less than 2%, if I recall correctly.

Several guys around here a few years back tried watering down live bottom loads of ground alfalfa the night before they delivered. It worked pretty well until it got around zero one night, and then stayed cold for a few weeks. They had one helluva time chipping that ground hay by hand out of the trailer. Needless to say, they didn't pull that particular stunt again.

river rat said:
Thanks Devyn for your comments. We know each other pretty well. We seem to like the same bulls at Jorgensen's, and we both supply bulls for them. Yes I'm one of the brothers from the "rez". I was wondering what your thought's might be on feeding some of the protien minerals to heifer calves held over to breed? We have been just feeding them good hay, and breeding them on a little grass in May, or last year we did put out some flax tubs, and some soybean meal about a month before breedin them. and we've had pretty decent results, but I thought a little boost through the winter months might be more useful. I'm also considering their protein mineral for our coming 3 yr olds when we let them graze on range until the snow flies. (Hopefully not until their ready to calve!!) The only time we tried Ag West was the year his makers started watering down the feed, and we got a couple of loads of it that were blue, and started to spoil :x :x , so I know Vince's arguments were warrented. Thanks for any advice or thoughts.

We do often like the same bulls...I'm usually the one that has the long, disappointing ride home after the sale. :)

We feed the roughage equalizer 228 to our replacement heifers throughout the winter. We will combine that with prairie hay, and usually a 16% all-natural pellet.

Good advice by Faster Horses. We do normally test quite a bit of the hay. We normally run around 6-8% on the prairie hay.

Most of the cows have been on 228 this fall, and the only thing we will change is adding the mos product prior to calving. Scours aren't really ever a concern, but have some sand eating/ulcer problems that it really seemed to clear up last year.

Distiller's readily available in our area, but we have completely gone away from feeding it, or any cubes or pellets with distiller's, out of fertility concerns.

Is there some recent experiences with the Ag West 227 mineral? Seems like our forage and water tests have changed rather dramatically from last year. We had a very disappointing breed up on yearling heifers this past summer. We fed them 227 and grass hay last winter. They did not seem to respond to the ration as far as gain and then did not breed up. The vet said that many of the heifers did not even develop normally reproductively.

I just ordered another load of the 227 for my coming 2 yr. old heifers. Sent the replacement heifers to a feedlot so won't be feeding them this year.I bought the 227 after posting and listening to the comments on this web site last fall. We fed a mixed hay ration to our replacement heifers through the winter last year along with the 227. The one problem I had with it was getting them to consume enough of it to do them any good. I called Vince and he suggested cutting back from 23-24 lbs. of hay to about 19-20 lbs. so we did and then the heifers started eating 4-6 oz. per day. They really didn't look alot better doing this, but with the hay shortage in our area this year those bales saved sure look good now. Since I had ordered the amount figuring proper consumption, and had a bunch left over, I left about half of the heifers on the 227 throughout the summer. These heifers weighed 945 lbs. the first part of August, which I thought was very impressive considering they were just hay fed. They are consuming about a third to a half a pound a day on grass. They bred a little better than they usually do, and right now after a summer of VERY little grass they look better than any heifers we have ever had. It has been such a crazy weather year here that I don't know whether to give all the credit to the mineral or not. It was incredibly warm all winter, and incredibly hot and dry this summer, and I know that differences like this can change the performance, breed up, health, and many other things with the cattle that we human beings don't completly understand. I've decided to keep the whole group on the 227 through calving, until grass time and see how the cattle continue to do through that period. If I could figure out how to post pictures on this damn thing I would take some photos of those heifers, and show you the great condition they are in. I will keep you posted on how they perform through calving time.

Heat is very detrimental to cattle, so I'd say your 227 did a really good
job. Hair coat is a sign of nutrition, good or bad. So a good, shiney hair
coat is a good sign. Cattle eat mineral in peaks and valleys, depending
on forage conditions. Any time you are feeding cattle, if they aren't eating
enough mineral always cut them back on feed. The first rule of mineral
is "Quality and Quantity of forage dictates mineral consumption."

Is that 227 a protein supplement as well?

I hope you get the picture thing figured out, I'd like to see your heifers.

I don't normally get involved in these Bull Session Forums. First of all everyone goes by a nick name. It can be so easy to judge or knock, if you feel no one will know who you are. I am Vince Hulinsky owner of Ag West Feeds of Burwell, NE. I have no problem of anyone knowing who I am and I am very proud of my Independent line of feeds.
The reason I am answering some of what has been written is becasue there are some that stand up for what are the facts. One of these is you, river rat (9-24-12) and Devyn Ballagh. (10-3-11)I thank you and I am writing this to show my support for your strength to do this. I too am a new member as of now. Maybe others have done as river rat in the past, I haven't been reading this. One thing you didn't mention is that saving four pounds of hay at $200.00 per ton is 40 cents. You spent around 25 cents to do this, also you would probably have spent that much or more on the competion. That four lbs. is almost 20% of the feed fed! Thanks for your reply faster horse (9-24-12). Yes, it is a protein supllement.
mr.j (9-28-11) Radical Commentary? Please specify what, it is the proper thing to do? Science based rations? What are these? NRC requirements - a collection of thousands of feeds, tests, from Flordia to Oregon and averaged to give you a ration? Some feed companies science based feeds, when they own a by-product company and need a way to sell it? They are cheap and have a lot of customers, a lot of tests? Have a lot of money to advertise? Against non-science based feeds?
Example the words "crude protein", is a name for many different parts to it. These are called amino acids. All plant protein products lack at least 4 of these, at a good level, such as lysene. plant portein products are all proteins grown from a plant, from grains to hay, and roughages. The Ag West Feeds contain these lacking amino acids, so you can feed 1/3 of pound instead of a pound or two. That is science based in my openion. Okay?
Thanks (9-28-11) Big Muddy Rancher for mentioning the folks that no one besides the loomix guy knew anything about Ag West Feeds, that he knows all he writes. His past on (Sept. 28-2011), processing problems. Totally false, I never have to wait over 3 days to get my feed order. Zero distribution? We go to northcentral Montana and all between. Yes, we have a put together 8 ton to 26 ton loads, it only makes cost sense. We combine customers to do this unbless they are big enough to order aload themselves. You say no one wants to drive two plus hours to get feed? My customers that know what it does will, if we don't have delivery there at the time. You want to check what the tag says and what is in the bag, got for it. For many years we were cited by the state only twice. Once it was my formulation error, the other we were a little high on calicum. No one has a record even close to that, read the reports from the states on your feed, okay?
The other thing that is so false is your statement that my Cornstalk Mineral (9-27-11) is smoke and snake oil! Wow!
My Conrstalk Roughage Equalizer with my Rumen Pak has proven itself for over 30 years. No matter how much ear corn was on the ground, very seldom did one die, abort or even get long toes. Test of up to 70 bushels of ear corn on the ground! Results like a customer from the Stapleton area last year. Many pivots with 30 bushels on the ground. They put hundreds of their cows on this. At the Sandhills Cattle Convention he told me that they never had a dead cow, aboted one or long toes, not one. Why don't you try that with your product? please. We could talk more about that product. Like a neighobr here that was short of water in the stock tank so he hauled water and dumped it into his liquid tank with the liquid urea feed. There was about 10 gals left in the tank when he filled it with water. Four of the cows died over night, adding water makes the urea posion. The same can happend with a big rain, even in high urea tubs. Now that isn't smoke and snake oil. It is facts and truths.
I am not writing this to knock anyone, company, etc. I want facts to come out of this, not gossip or falsehoods. I plan on meeting Jesus someday, whatever I say or write will come before Him.
If any one wants to know more of what I am about just call our toll free number for literture and read it, for your self. I don't plan on getting into future debates here, read for yourself please 1-877-240-1409. I wrote this to supoort people like river at and Devyn Ballagh. After having people for quite some time telling me I should speak up. I don't claim to be perfect, but if I saw a problem I worked with the cows and the rancher to find the answer. Those "books" out there are just a guide, not real life. The Ag West Feed program takes managment. it may not be for everyone and I don't keep 100 percent of the people that try it. I do have a few that are still going that started with me almost from day one.
Vince

Latest posts