• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ag-West feeds?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

river rat

Reaction score
Just became a new member. Soapweed and Big Swede told me about the site a few years ago, been following ever since, but decided to get off the sidelines and get in the game. I was wondering if any of you had ever used Ag-West Feeds (Vince Hulinsky) from Burwell NE before, and if you had what kind of results(good or bad) did you get? Trying to find something to feed to a bunch of replacement heifers through the winter to go with their hay ration. Would appreciate any input.

So help me out here guys, are we supposed to welcome aboard a "River Rat"? :wink: :wink:

I guess if your a friend of Soap's and Big Swede's you'll fit in here. :lol: :lol: :D :D

Big Muddy rancher said:
So help me out here guys, are we supposed to welcome aboard a "River Rat"? :wink: :wink:

I guess if your a friend of Soap's and Big Swede's you'll fit in here. :lol: :lol: :D :D
At least he admits it. Welcome RR. Can't help you with the inquiry though.

river rat said:
Just became a new member. Soapweed and Big Swede told me about the site a few years ago, been following ever since, but decided to get off the sidelines and get in the game. I was wondering if any of you had ever used Ag-West Feeds (Vince Hulinsky) from Burwell NE before, and if you had what kind of results(good or bad) did you get? Trying to find something to feed to a bunch of replacement heifers through the winter to go with their hay ration. Would appreciate any input.

I know his so-called "corn stalk mineral" is nothing but smoke & snake oil. I run into some of that occasionally in my area (southern Nebraska). Your best bet would be to get with a reputable feed company and let them show you what they can bring to your table.

PM me for more information if you want. Welcome to the site!

Big Muddy rancher said:

I figured with your handle you'd be the first to welcome him aboard!!

Welcome river rat.

Well, I guess this place has offcially become home of a rat! :wink: :D Welcome RiverRat! But hanging out with BS and SW isnt a very good way to impress folks! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: Kiddin' you two! :wink:

Since I side tracked this thread I figured I would bring it back up.

I found it curios that no one besides loomixguy knew anything about Ag west feeds. Lots of people from that area posting on here. :?

We get their newsletter, but have never used any of their products. I'm not sure I agree with all of his ideas, but its always interesting reading, as to what Vince's thoughts are when it comes to different mineral, and protein formulations.

I get his newsletter, and I try to read it. He's right on some things,
but he's had problems getting his product processed. As a result,
he's had to make changes where he has it done. That is enough
to bother me. So much of the success of a product is due to proper
processing along with the best of ingredients.

The best thing is if you could find someone that was using or had
used his products.

Last I ever heard was he not only had processing problems, but there was pretty much zero distribution for the product he could get made. Nobody wants to drive 2+ hours one way for a ton of mineral.

It might be interesting to see if what is in the bag matches what is on the tag. If he has to use a toll mill for processing, he has no control over what is actually processed and bagged. Pretty poor way to do business.

The radical commentary in his 'news' letter is enough to make us consider any other feed dealer first!

We do prefer to use dealers with sound science based rations and great reputations.

mrj

Vince used to build a product that was made with corn gluten and soy meal if I remember correctly. The product was tremendous, TDN was high, protein was good and had great fat content. The pellets looked like cereal and the cube was odd shaped. It seemed to be a good product. I haven't done any business with him since, which has been about 10 or 11 yrs ago. He does not have a real good reputation. I truly believe in not judging people by what someone else says, but if you here the same story over and over from different sources it warrants checking into.

Thanks for the input. I was hoping someone had tried his products in their opersations, but I will do more talking and research before I jump in with both feet. Coming completly clean I'm a cousin to the Big Swede, but I only have the good"German" blood :D and none of that hideous Swede. I also sold bulls to both the Swede and Soapweed so have a vested buisness interest in not offending either one in any way :lol: :lol:

river rat said:
Thanks for the input. I was hoping someone had tried his products in their opersations, but I will do more talking and research before I jump in with both feet. Coming completly clean I'm a cousin to the Big Swede, but I only have the good"German" blood :D and none of that hideous Swede. I also sold bulls to both the Swede and Soapweed so have a vested buisness interest in not offending either one in any way :lol: :lol:

Poor thing... :twisted: :wink:

I am located 32 miles from Burwell, and am familiar with the products and with Vince. I ranch with my dad, who has been feeding Ag-West Mineral since 1973. At that time, he was still working with Dr. McDonalds Feed Fort Dodge, Iowa.

I'm just 25 years old, so I can't say I remember when we started on the program, but I would like to provide some insight on the products from my own personal experience. I don't know if you were thinking more along the mineral lines or thinking of feeding a cube or pellet, but I will share some thoughts.

We have always been very satisfied with the mineral and range cube products. The extruded cube that was referred to in an earlier post was hands down the best cube we had ever fed. The cattle did extremely well with it. I don't like to question someone's or a company's integrity on an internet forum, so I won't mention any names, but the extruded cube formula was abandoned over greed, and it wasn't on Vince's end. Another local feed company began producing the cubes for Vince and delivering them. We started noticing a decline in the product quality. They started to spoil quickly, and were often just mush. Also, anytime your Welker bulk bin starts holding more ton of cubes than it ever has before, you know either your bin is growing, or the feed is being watered down. As more and more ranchers complained about the feed, Vince realized that the company making the cube were adding more water to the recipe and not being honest. The agreement between them had been mostly done on a handshake, and without the paperwork to back up Vince's claims, and with a top lawyer from a very well known feed company that the other dealer marketed products for, Vince came out on the short end of the lawsuit. It cost him his recipe, customer lists, and very substantial monetary loss. All of that seemed pretty minimal to Vince though, as what he struggled with the most was the fact that people were questioning his integrity. I can still remember being in the courtroom as the opposing side, under oath, stood up and told lie after lie.

We are a range/cubes outfit, and mainly use 3 of Vince's mineral, 227, 228, and a 2010 mineral. We usually feed his cubes, but with them being made in Martin, South Dakota, the freight really adds up. We will sometimes feed cubes from Progressive Nutrition, Norfolk, NE.

We are just like every other ranch--tight margins and always looking to generate more with less. We have tried different minerals at times to compare, but have never found one that works quite as well. We also take in a large number of cattle on summer grass, so we put out alot of different brands of mineral for customers. One thing I always notice right away is how the Ag-West mineral doesn't set up hard like most minerals after a rain. I have put out many brands that almost require a pick axe. Also, once on the Ag-West mineral program, consumption is very consistent.

It's hard to know what the mineral does and doesn't do when you have been almost exclusively on the same program for many years, but when we have done trials, we have noticed notable differences in hair coat/quality, conception, etc. We get a large percentage of the cows bred back early year after year, and I contribute a lot of that to having a good mineral program. We have had trouble with sand eating in new calves in the spring, and tried the 228 mineral with a Mos product this past year. It really seemed to help and we will be feeding it again this year. We fed 2-2.5 lbs. of his cubes, the 228/Mos Product, and prairie hay to our 1st calf thru last calf heifers and got along really good.

We continue to try and stretch our grazing season out in the fall and winter. We have a Jorgensen based (Ideal, SD) cowherd, which are considered by many to be easier-fleshing type cattle. We have found that if we can keep good grass in front of the spring-calving cows along with a good mineral, they will do pretty well in the fall even without cubes. As it gets colder, we start feeding them some cubes every other day, and as the snow gets deep, we will put hay out for them.

If you have any specific questions on mineral or pelleted feed, feel free to ask. I would also invite you to call and talk to Vince himself if you haven't done so. He is very passionate about what he does. Most of what he has learned about his mineral and feeds has been self taught, and from trial and error. He has his own herd of cattle, so he has first hand experience with his products. I really believe it is his sincere wish to keep his products as affordable as possible, and to see customers succeed with them.

Devyn Ballagh
Amelia, NE

Now that sounds like a very good recomondation from someone who actually uses the products.Nice discription and recomandation.

Devyn, can you still get the cube? Thanks, for the clarification. You never know what is really true unless you know both sides of the story. The company that Vince was using in Sargeant really tried to hang him out to dry. They were fairly cut throat about it as well and publicly degraded Vince.

flyingS said:
Devyn, can you still get the cube? Thanks, for the clarification. You never know what is really true unless you know both sides of the story. The company that Vince was using in Sargeant really tried to hang him out to dry. They were fairly cut throat about it as well and publicly degraded Vince.

I'm not sure on that. I know for several years after that they tried to continue to market it, but most everyone in this area wasn't interested in buying from them.

Latest posts