• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Age / Source Verification - U.S.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Will you age/source verify your calves this year?

• No, I will stop doing this as I don't think there will be demand for it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I have done so in the past and will continue until the regulations are removed for sure.

• No, I didn't participate before and don't care now.

• What is age/source verification anyway? What is a packer?

• I will wait and see as things develop this summer.

• Total voters

High Plains

Reaction score
Through many feedlot contacts I am told that U.S. packers are, for the most part, not offering age/source verified premiums for fed cattle at the current time. Some are paying but the big boys are not paying anything on the spot market. The speculation is that the packers expect Japan to change their age requirements to 30 months and younger instead of 20 and younger by June or so. I don't have enough cattle to matter much, but I wonder if others on this board are planning to age/source verify your spring-born calves or if some are taking a "wait and see" approach. I'm not trying to suggest that you do or do not go through with it, but just wondering.

Soooo, let's do a little poll. Just for kicks.

the last couple years, it has been very difficult in most cases to see much of a premium for A&S cattle. and with the age requirement changes for export cattle, there will probably be even less demand for A&S.

just my opinion, i could be wrong. :wink:

Justin said:
the last couple years, it has been very difficult in most cases to see much of a premium for A&S cattle. and with the age requirement changes for export cattle, there will probably be even less demand for A&S.

just my opinion, i could be wrong. :wink:

If I were a betting person, I'd bet you were right.

I have been tagging cattle and keeping records since back in the 60's-- offering affidavits for the past 10-15 or so years (since Future Beef began offering premiums for Source/Age)--- but doing it the same way they did--- on signed affidavits and ranch identified eartags and hot iron brands-- and not on any Goverment backed/mandated ID or RFID tag extra cost (which I've seen little premium demand for)...

And I'm convinced that this transparency- along with a vaccination/preconditioning program has paid off with higher prices over the years...

And it does not surprise me that the Packers would take advantage of making a buck- without giving it back....Today at the cow/bull sale I had a good time harassing some of my buyer friends asking them how they were going to screw us- to get more of their profits- since the calving weather has been so good and they are not going to be able to discount all the short ear/short tailed calves this year... :???: :wink:

And as they kept telling me- they will find a way!!! :p

I haven't participated in this program in Canada yet either. I did just sign up this week in order to be able to age verify my calves if I decide to. I just haven't seen where it benefits me yet. I don't have enough numbers to ship direct to a feedlot, so I typically ship in a pre-sort sale where my calves are mixed with everyone else's.

We have been doing it for the past eight years just to try and get the most bang for our calves. We go thru angus source and it has really helped us on our heifers because buyers can see the epds for the bulls and know what they are buying

Oldtimer said:
Today at the cow/bull sale I had a good time harassing some of my buyer friends asking them how they were going to screw us- to get more of their profits- since the calving weather has been so good and they are not going to be able to discount all the short ear/short tailed calves this year... :???: :wink:

And as they kept telling me- they will find a way!!! :p

Ain't that the truth!

Latest posts