• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Agman & Reader - SRM's

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
Here's what I found pertaining to SRM's - OTM's & UTM's:

"Specified risk materials (1) are required to be removed from the food chain."

In a footnote; (in VERY small letters)
(1) "Specified risk materials include skull, brain, trigeminal ganglia, eyes, spinal cord and the dorsal root ganglia from cattle 30 months of age and older; and small intestine and tonsils from cattle of all ages."

----------------------------------------------
Sounds like the "Specified" Risk Materials have entirely two different meanings according to the age of cattle. I am very disappointed to find that we are not removing the CNS as I had hoped we were. Especially since we caved to Japan from 30 down to 17 months.

Like I said before, the AMI factsheet IS "deceptive" in saying;
"By law all cattle destined for human consumption must have the SRM's removed."

4X14X44 Zeiss - Very good quality but I hope you never have problems with it. Did you get target knobs? Does it track?

Mike: "Especially since we caved to Japan from 30 down to 17 months."

Where did you come up with the 17 month figure. Last I heard it was 20 months.

~SH~

We are guaranteeing that A-40 cattle are between 12-17 months. Just in case the "grader" had a big night out on the town the night before. :D

"Mike - this jives with what I found as well on the USDA website and also jives with the February 2, 2005 R-CALF document that criticizes USDA Final Rule on this point -- for only removing SRM from OTM cattle. It also jives with what Lisa Ferguson, DVM, USDA said in public last year. The international committee brought in by Ann Venneman recommended removal of SRM from cattle over 12 months. USDA said that that was not warranted for the U.S. "

That can't be so......everybody knows that R-CALF lies all the time!! :wink: :wink:

We will be removing "ALL" SRM's for the Japs. Double standard?

Wonder why they didn't designate "Category 1" and "Category 2" SRM's?
I guess it wouldn't have been deceptive enough.

So now we know, SRM's are not really "SPECIFIED" are they?

They are "UNSPECIFIED" until age is factored in.

SPECIFIED SRM's from CANADA I think NOT.This will tip the court in favor of R-CALF.ALSO the 6 MONTH rule OF the OIE for SRM's not being done will tip the Court in not letting in Beef and animal from Canada.

Who is gonna CHECK for SRM compliance ,FDA or FSIS or APHIS ??Who has more clout??

Mike said:
Here's what I found pertaining to SRM's - OTM's & UTM's:

"Specified risk materials (1) are required to be removed from the food chain."

In a footnote; (in VERY small letters)
(1) "Specified risk materials include skull, brain, trigeminal ganglia, eyes, spinal cord and the dorsal root ganglia from cattle 30 months of age and older; and small intestine and tonsils from cattle of all ages."

----------------------------------------------
Sounds like the "Specified" Risk Materials have entirely two different meanings according to the age of cattle. I am very disappointed to find that we are not removing the CNS as I had hoped we were. Like I said before, the AMI factsheet IS "deceptive" in saying;
"By law all cattle destined for human consumption must have the SRM's removed."

Response....There is a difference regarding SRM's for UTM's and OTM's. The spinal cord is removed from ALL animals slaughtered for human consumption. In OTM's the entire spinal COLUMN is removed and product from OTM's can only be in boneless form. Have a great day.

Quote: "Mike - this jives with what I found as well on the USDA website and also jives with the February 2, 2005 R-CALF document that criticizes USDA Final Rule on this point -- for only removing SRM from OTM cattle. It also jives with what Lisa Ferguson, DVM, USDA said in public last year. The international committee brought in by Ann Venneman recommended removal of SRM from cattle over 12 months. USDA said that that was not warranted for the U.S. "

Sandhusker (in response): "That can't be so......everybody knows that R-CALF lies all the time!!

You are right Sandhusker, R-CALF lied again because SRMs are being removed on Canadian UTM cattle.

~SH~

3.6 REMOVAL OF SPINAL CORD

The spinal cord of cattle aged 30 months or older is a SRM and must be removed in its entirety, on the kill floor before the final carcass wash, and disposed of as inedible product. Lifting the cord out of the vertebral canal can be achieved using a knife. Other specialized tools can be used, but chain link gloves are not suitable due to the increased risk of gross cross-contamination.

Separate knives or other tools must be provided for exclusive use in removing and handling spinal cords of cattle aged 30 months or older. These knives/tools, as well as steels must be identified by a color coding or other visual system. Standard washing and sanitizing procedures apply.

Note: The spinal cord of cattle less than 30 months of age is not designated as a SRM but, nevertheless, must still be completely removed from all split carcasses on the kill floor before the final carcass wash. In the case of carcasses that are split after chilling (i.e. hide-on veal carcasses), the spinal cord must be removed during boning/cutting operations. This is required to prevent incorporation of spinal cord tissue into any meat products, ensuring compliance with established meat product standards and simplifying verification measures.

one of the reasons for allowing the OTM and UTM SRMs to be different is the preferance of cuts, and how the are presented for sale.

"
9. Can T-bones, brains, and the like, be saved from older animals (30 months and older) in custom exempt facilities?

SRMs are considered adulterated and ineligible for human food. This applies to custom slaughter as well as to inspected operations. As such, traditional bone-in cuts of beef, such as T-bones, porterhouse, and rib roasts cannot be saved for human food, unless the SRM portion of the cut (i.e. the vertebral column) is removed, resulting in a semi-boneless cut. The other alternative is to completely bone out the product.

this page gives some easy read answers,
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OA/FAQ/bse_techcenter.htm

Latest posts