• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Agman

Help Support Ranchers.net:

rancher said:
Why doesn't Japan take Candian beef?

Because it ain't tested. Why ain't it tested? Because the USDA told them they can't test! Why did the USDA tell them they can't test? Because the packers don't want to test. Why don't the packers want to test? Because they don't have to test. Why don't they have to test? Because the USDA won't let anyone else test and make them keep up.............

rancher said:
Why doesn't Japan take Candian beef?

Response...Why don't you ask them? Resuming trade with the U.S. would have also set the foundation for the resumption Canadian export trade with Canada. Have a great day.

CFIA wouldn't allow the proposed Peace Tender Beef co-op to test, although they purportedly had a guaranteed Japenese market for their beef if allowed 100% testing.

When I asked a CCA rep why they weren't pushing for testing all animals, the response I received was "We don't want to raise the bar on the US testing system" and like Forrest Gump that's all he had to say about that.

Oh, yeah, and also got the ol' "Border's Opening Soon" song and dance again. Sure. You bet. That and a quarter will get me a local phone call.

I am left to draw my own conclusions on why, but lacking any concrete evidence don't feel it's worth sharing them.

However, the AMI's response to CFIA's proposal to ban SRM's from ALL animal feed with the justification of wanting an integrated testing system for North America (or something along that line) does speak volumes, at least to me.

Anyone else have any ideas on this?

CFIA wouldn't allow the proposed Peace Tender Beef co-op to test, although they purportedly had a guaranteed Japenese market for their beef if allowed 100% testing.

When I asked a CCA rep why they weren't pushing for testing all animals, the response I received was "We don't want to raise the bar on the US testing system" and like Forrest Gump that's all he had to say about that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

CFIA has made a huge mistake by becoming a USDA clone. The Japs see testing as a food safety issue. I don't think we'll change their mind on that.
Especially by using threats!

Mike said:

Mike... What does the word "purportedly" mean? Have a great day.

Regarding the new scope and tracking. I hope to find out this afternoon. I wll let you know.

Obviously the next step for Canada is to convince CFIA that we run our own country, do what we want, and start testing cattle for BSE so we can take over the markets that the USA can't export to. Japan for one comes to my mind. Shouldn't be a problem for a small packing industry like ours compared to the likes to the south. Only problem is that both big packers are owned by Americans and are making scads of money sending untested beef south in the box instead of on the hoof.
Time to run our own outfit instead of checking with USDA first. Look where that has gotten us. Science don't mean squat, it's all about politics and as soon we start running our own show instead of USDA telling CFIA what it can and cannot do, the better off we'll be. :!:

Latest posts