• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Agriculture Universities and/or Colleges?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Angus Cattle Shower

Reaction score
I'm going to be graduated here in the next two weeks, and I already know I'm not going to school this fall. I want to work for a few years before I go so I don't have a huge student loan to worry about while I'm back in school. However, I'd still like to be taking online classes. Does anyone know of a good university with a good ag program that has online classes?

Basically anything you learn in ag school can be found on the Internet unless you want hands-on experience or go into depth in a certain field.

Talk about ag a little over beers. That's all the ag schooling a farmer/rancher needs.

lightninboy said:
Basically anything you learn in ag school can be found on the Internet unless you want hands-on experience or go into depth in a certain field.

Talk about ag a little over beers. That's all the ag schooling a farmer/rancher needs.

That'll get you just smart enough to get you in trouble if you can remember what you talked about.

lightninboy said:

I thought about that, as my Dad doesn't have a University or post secondary education. It would be ok if we were talking about this twenty or thirty years ago, but right now a farmer doesn't just farm, he runs a (multi)million dollar enterprise and it kneeds to be treated in such a fashion.

YOu are already smarter than lighteningboy, Alex.
Glad to hear you are planning to go on and learn all you can.
You will be successful!
Remember ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING.
We've got a couple of characters on here who needs an
attitude adjustment, but it's not you. :D

Angus Cattle Shower said:
lightninboy said:

I thought about that, as my Dad doesn't have a University or post secondary education. It would be ok if we were talking about this twenty or thirty years ago, but right now a farmer doesn't just farm, he runs a (multi)million dollar enterprise and it kneeds to be treated in such a fashion.

You're ahead of the curve, ACS, and I hope you find a school that will meet your needs. I know that education today is costly, but it seems to me you have a pretty good plan in mind. Make sure your on-line school is accredited, so you have no problems with transferring credits. Good Luck!

I graduated in May and this fall I will be attending SDSU in Brookings, South Dakota with a double major in Agronomy and Animal Science with a minor in Ag Business. If you wanted to be in the U.S. Brookings offers amazing ag programs. I never looked at any other school. They offer pretty much anything you can think of. If ya have any questions, let me know!

At least you've got enough sense to work a few years first.

Knowledge does you no good if you don't have the capital and the hustle.

I'm going to school in Olds, Alberta after I've worked enough to afford most of my tuition and living expenses. I know that much. But what I'm really looking for is online classes to take while I'm working st home so I can get a head start on things

I'm going to school in Olds, Alberta after I've worked enough to afford most of my tuition and living expenses. I know that much. But what I'm really looking for is online classes to take while I'm working st home so I can get a head start on things

GO AGGIES :!: :D :D

I know most colleges offer most classes online. But that is down here.
If you want why dont you get your core classes ..english, math ect the first 2 years of your degree done online? If you want check out Texas A & M, NC State are two I KNOW are Ag based ..not sure of the cost you would incure.
Check out many under distance learning....I would assume Canada has the same thing at thier colleges.

Twister Frost said:
lightninboy said:

You're ahead of the curve, ACS, and I hope you find a school that will meet your needs. I know that education today is costly, but it seems to me you have a pretty good plan in mind. Make sure your on-line school is accredited, so you have no problems with transferring credits. Good Luck!

MsSage said:
If you want why dont you get your core classes ..english, math ect the first 2 years of your degree done online? If you want check out Texas A & M, NC State are two I KNOW are Ag based ..not sure of the cost you would incure.
Check out many under distance learning....I would assume Canada has the same thing at thier colleges.

My Daughter Lived at home and went to a Junior College for 3 Years then San Jose State University for 3 Years (taking extra classes in both Places) - She wanted the education not the "Parties" Now SHE HAS 8) "NO COLLEGE DEBIT" 8)

Now she is taking "HR" Classes ON LINE - That is Hard and VERY EXPENSIVE

Also once you start working FULL TIME (and get used to the money) it is very hard to quite and go back to school... :mad:

OldDog/NewTricks said:
Twister Frost said:

MsSage said:

My Daughter Lived at home and went to a Junior College for 3 Years then San Jose State University for 3 Years (taking extra classes in both Places) - She wanted the education not the "Parties" Now SHE HAS 8) "NO COLLEGE DEBIT" 8)

Now she is taking "HR" Classes ON LINE - That is Hard and VERY EXPENSIVE

Also once you start working FULL TIME (and get used to the money) it is very hard to quite and go back to school... :mad:

I'm working now, then going to school so I can enjoy what I do later. No sense in going to school and starting a business when you'll be working for someone else to pay off the debt you collected getting your education. Just my opinion though.

And there's nothing wrong with a party once in a while 8) :lol:

Latest posts