• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

All time top 50

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mrs.Greg

Reaction score
NHL players as ranked by the Edmonton Journal,well I'm not going to post all 50. Seens thats its an Edmonton paper can be its a tad biased :roll:
1] Wayne Gretsky
2]Gordie Howe
3] Mario Lemieux
4]Jean Beliveau
5]Bobby orr
6]Eddie Shore
7]Maurice Richard
8]Bobbi Hull
9]Jaromir Jager
10] Ted Kennedy

Well,I'd change Nu 1 and 3's places,take out Bobbi Hull altogether,but hey my other two least fav hockey players ever also made the top 50 with Bobbi Hull,his son Brett 35 and Eric Lindros number 50,sharing with King Clancy.....thats a slap in the face to Clancy IMHO.

So,anyone else's ideas on this and who you think shares in the top 50,I'll let you know if and where they fit in.
Missing are two greats in my books...Joey Mullen and Craig McTavish :shock:

as a guy who lives in an area with ZERO hockey promotion, I think you have to have Gretsky as number 1. based simply on the fact that he is the most recognizable figure to play.

now from a view point of someone who follows the sport, it would be totally different.

I've only heard of 4 of them :roll:
Hull
Howe
Orr
Gretsky

None of them must have ever rode bulls or broncs :wink: :p :p

Big Muddy rancher said:
Did my cousin Paul Henderson or my hero Eddie Shack make it? :D

Our your hero Tim Horton? :wink:
Nope,Nope and NOPE :?

All three of them could have taken the Hull boys and Lindros's place for sure!!!!!

Paul Hendersons your cousin :shock: :shock:
Can I have your autograph :)

Shelly said:
Is Wendell Clark on the list? Just wondering.
No,no Wendall Clark either,me thinks they started off bad right from numero uno :D Right Corey :twisted:

Boob Boom Geoffrion
Tiger Williams... my mother couldn't stand him! I loved how he rode his stick down the ice after he scored!
Lanny McDonald
Darryl Sittler
Larry Robinson
Doug Gilmore
Gerry Cheevers
Mike Bossy
Ken Dryden
Frank Mahovalich
Patrick Roy
Brian Trottier
Borje Salming
Denny Potvin
and if they ever have Coach/Broadcaster best would have to be Don Cherry in #1 spot

Are we talking talent or entertainment value-Gretzky and Orr atre interchangeable as number one and two-as players they changed the very way the game was played as ambassadors after their careers they are classy spokesmen for the game. i have problems with jagr in the top ten-consistancy is a quality of greatness also.Mac T and clarke were great two way players both in my top 50 but in the top 50 to ever play the game-not so sure about that.Patrick Roy or Martin Brodeur sure could be in the top 20 also-not sure if Crosby is on the list but he will be before his career is over. Paul Henderson deserves to be in the Hall of Fame for his game winners during the first Canada/Russia series but he's not in the top 50 to ever play the game.

Yanuck said:
Boob Boom Geoffrion
Tiger Williams... my mother couldn't stand him! I loved how he rode his stick down the ice after he scored!
Lanny McDonald....Nope
Darryl Sittler......nope
Larry Robinson.....nope
Doug Gilmore....I loved Dougy too,not on list either
Gerry Cheevers....nope
Mike Bossy....Nu 43
Ken Dryden....Ya,my fav Goalie ever....nu 28
Frank Mahovalich.....You'd think....nope
Patrick Roy.....Nu 11
Brian Trottier.....nu 17
Borje Salming....nope
Denny Potvin....nope
and if they ever have Coach/Broadcaster best would have to be Don Cherry in #1 spot
Ya,and to think they wanted to let him go :?

Wayne Gretzky is with out question number one..

1. Wayne Gretzky, Edmonton Oilers, 1981-82
Choosing between Wayne Gretzky's best seasons is like choosing between Jessica Alba and Jessica Biel: There isn't a wrong answer. Still, in a decade in which he dominated, no performance exudes greatness as much as his 1981-82 season. A 20-year-old Gretzky scored 92 goals that season, shattering the previous mark of 76 set by Phil Esposito. He hit the 50-goal mark in just 39 games, capped by a five-goal performance against the Flyers in Game 39. With 120 assists, Gretzky's 212 points set another record (one he would eclipse by three in 1985-86). Gretzky won the scoring title by 65 points, leaving super sniper and runner-up Mike Bossy in his dust.

Gretzky grabbed all sorts of postseason hardware (Hart, Pearson, Art Ross), but it was Gretzky's ability with grace and style to bring the game of hockey to the masses that stands out from the 1981-82 season. In the early 1980s, specifically this season, while the Islanders were winning Stanley Cups, Gretzky started to transcend his icy domain by grabbing international acclaim as the first hockey player and first Canadian to be named The Associated Press Male Athlete of the Year. He was also named Sports Illustrated's 1982 "Sportsman of the Year." Starting in 1981-82, Gretzky truly elevated the sport in a way no one had ever done before.

ESPN reporter David Amber is a frequent contributor to ESPN.com.

The statistical story of Gretzky's storied career.
Wayne Gretzky holds or shares 61 NHL records: 40 for the regular season, 15 for the Stanley Cup playoffs and six for the NHL All-Star Game.

CAREER RECORDS

MOST POINTS:
2,856 (1,485 games, 894 goals, 1,962 assists)
Second: Mark Messier - 1,855 (1,756 games, 694 goals, 1,193 assists)

MOST POINTS, INCLUDING PLAYOFFS:
3,238 (2,856 regular season and 382 playoff)
Second: Mark Messier - 2,180 (1,885 regular season and 295 playoff)

MOST GOALS:
Second: Gordie Howe, 801

MOST GOALS, INCLUDING PLAYOFFS:
1,016 (894 regular season and 122 playoff)
Second: Gordie Howe, 869 (801 regular season and 68 playoff)

MOST ASSISTS:
Second: Mark Messier, 1,171

MOST ASSISTS, INCLUDING PLAYOFFS:
2,222 (1,962 regular season and 260 playoff)
Second: Mark Messier, 1,357 (1,171 regular season and 186 playoff)

MOST GOALS BY A CENTER:
Second: Marcel Dionne, 731

MOST ASSISTS BY A CENTER:
Second: Mark Messier, 1,171

MOST POINTS BY A CENTER:
Second: Mark Messier, 1,855

MOST 40-OR-MORE GOAL SEASONS:
Second: Marcel Dionne, 10

MOST CONSECUTIVE 40-OR-MORE GOAL SEASONS:
12 (1979-80 to 1990-91)
Second: Mike Bossy, 9 (1977-78 to 1985-86)

MOST 50-OR-MORE GOAL SEASONS:
9 (tied with Mike Bossy)
Second: Guy Lafleur, 6

MOST 60-OR-MORE GOAL SEASONS:
5 (tied with Mike Bossy)
Second: Phil Esposito, 4

MOST CONSECUTIVE 60-OR-MORE GOAL SEASONS:
4 (1981-82 to 1984-85)
Second: Mike Bossy, 3 (1980-81 to 1982-83)

MOST 100-OR-MORE POINT SEASONS:
Second: Mario Lemieux, 10

MOST CONSECUTIVE 100-OR-MORE POINT SEASONS:
13 (1979-80 to 1991-92)
Second: Six players tied with 6

MOST THREE-OR-MORE GOAL GAMES:
50 (37 three-goal games; nine four-goal games; four five-goal games)
Second: Mike Bossy, 39 (30 three-goal games, nine four-goal games)

MOST OVERTIME ASSISTS:
Second: Doug Gilmour, 13

HIGHEST ASSISTS-PER-GAME AVERAGE:
1.321 (1,962 assists in 1,485 games)
Second: Mario Lemieux, 1.183 (881 assists in 745 games)
SINGLE SEASON RECORDS

MOST POINTS, ONE SEASON:
215 (1985-86, 80-game schedule)
Next (fifth): Mario Lemieux, 199 (1988-89, 80-game schedule)

MOST POINTS, ONE SEASON, INCLUDING PLAYOFFS:
255 (1984-85; 208 points in 80 regular season games and 47 points in 18 playoff games)
Next (sixth): Mario Lemieux, 218 (1988-89; 199 points in 76 regular season games and 19 points in 11 playoff games)

MOST GOALS, ONE SEASON:
92 (1981-82, 80-game schedule)
Second: Gretzky, 87 (1983-84, 80-game schedule)

MOST GOALS, ONE SEASON, INCLUDING PLAYOFFS:
100 (1983-84, 87 goals in 74 regular season games and 13 goals in 19 playoff games)
Second: Gretzky, Lemieux and Brett Hull tied at 97

MOST GOALS, 50 GAMES FROM START OF SEASON:
61 (1981-82 and 1983-84)
Third: 54 - Mario Lemieux (1988-89)

MOST ASSISTS, ONE SEASON:
163 (1985-86, 80-game schedule)
Next (eighth): 114 - Mario Lemieux and Wayne Gretzky (1988-89, 80-game schedule)

MOST ASSISTS, ONE SEASON, INCLUDING PLAYOFFS:
174 (1985-86, 163 assists in 80 regular season games and 11 assists in 10 playoff games)
Next (tied for 11th): 121 - Mario Lemieux (1988-89, 114 assists in 76 regular season games and seven assists in 11 playoff games)

MOST POINTS BY A CENTER, ONE SEASON:
215 (1985-86, 80-game schedule)
Next (fifth): 199 - Mario Lemieux, 1988-89, 80-game schedule

MOST GOALS BY A CENTER, ONE SEASON:
92 (1981-82, 80-game schedule)
Next (third): 85 - Mario Lemieux (1988-89, 80-game schedule).

MOST ASSISTS BY A CENTER:
163 (1985-86, 80-game schedule)
Next: Gretzky holds first through fifth positions

MOST THREE-OR-MORE GOAL GAMES:
10 (1981-82, six three-goal games; three four-goal games; one five-goal game)
(Tied in 1983-84, six three-goal games, four four-goal games)
Next (third): 9 - Mike Bossy and Mario Lemieux

LONGEST CONSECUTIVE ASSIST-SCORING STREAK:
23 games - 48 assists (1990-91)
Second: Adam Oates - 18 games - 28 assists (1992-93)

LONGEST CONSECUTIVE POINT-SCORING STREAK:
51 games - 61 goals, 92 assists for 153 points (Oct.

Being from Bobby Hull's hometown, I'd take him off the list just based on being an all around nasty piece of trash off the ice.

Ray Bourque?

DaleK said:
Being from Bobby Hull's hometown, I'd take him off the list just based on being an all around nasty piece of trash off the ice.

Ray Bourque?
:) Yes number 43.

IMO both Hulls Bobby and Brett as classless as they come.

Friend of mine was an ambulance attendant back in the days when Bobby was playing, remembers it being a monthly occurrence in the off season that somebody would call them and the police out to Point Anne to Bobby's house. Bobby would be drunk on the front step having a laugh with the cops about how his wife fell down again, she'd be curled up on the floor under the kitchen table with the boys sitting beside her, crap beat out of her. Broken bones more than once, a couple of times they didn't think she'd live. Never a charge laid.

I will post this for the Americans who don't know this. :)

The Ultimate Canadian Hockey Hero

What more can be said about Paul Henderson's heroics that has not been said time and time again?

He scored the game winning goals in game 6, game 7 and of course game 8. And he will be forever immortalized in hockey history as he scored on what is arguably the greatest hockey moment ever.

Henderson was actually one of the last players to make the team. He had a terrific training camp along with Bobby Clarke and Ron Ellis. All three were on the bubble as to whether or not they'd make the team or not, but they played extremely well together. They were Canada's best threesome, and the only line that was kept together throughout the series.

All three were incredible. Clarke was instrumental with his defensive play and his crisp playmaking, which in particular helped Henderson. Ellis did a masterful job of shutting down the flashy Valeri Kharlamov and was also used against the big Alexander Yakushev.

And then there was Henderson. Henderson was on fire throughout the entire series. He tied with Phil Esposito and Alexander Yakushev for the goal scoring lead with 7. He was especially hot in Moscow - he scored twice in game 5 and scored the game winners in game 6 and game 7.

The game 7 goal was spectacular. With less than three minutes left to play, Henderson was sprung lose thanks to a nice pass from Serge Savard. Henderson was in alone on two Soviet defenseman - normally an impossible scoring chance. Going in alone on two Russian defenders, he crossed so that the two defensemen were forced to cross positions. Henderson slid the puck through the defenseman's legs and went around. Instead of playing the man, defenseman Evgeny Tsygankov tried to play the puck. He failed to stop the puck and Henderson was in alone. He scored just under the cross bar while falling down, as the defenders tackled him.

And of course there is the most famous goal in hockey history: Henderson's game winner in game eight.

"In the final seconds of that game, I stood up at the bench and called Pete Mahovlich off the ice. I'd never done such a thing before," wrote Henderson in Brian McFarlane's book Team Canada 1972: Where Are They Now?, and undoubtedly told over a million times elsewhere.

"I jumped on the and rushed straight for their net. I had this strange feeling that I could score the winning goal. I had a great chance just before I scored, but Cournoyer's pass went behind me. Then I was tripped up and crashed into the boards behind the net. I leaped up and moved in front, just in time to see Esposito take a shot at Tretiak from inside the faceoff circle. The rebound came right to my stick and I tried to slide the puck past Tretiak. Damn! He got a piece of it. But a second rebound came right to me. This time I flipped the puck over him and into the net."

Although he couldn't have comprehended it at that moment in time, he had just become an immortal in the hockey world.

"I talk about the goal at least 300 days a year," he says.

One has to wonder if he ever gets tired of talking about it, and for being known almost solely for the goal.

"At first, I got sick of talking about it for a while, the first three or four months. There was absolutely no privacy. It got to be a bit of a pain. But I don't feel that way now. It's a special memory and I honestly can't think of anything better with which to be associated," Henderson was quoted in Scott Morrison's book The Days Canada Stood Still.

Paul Henderson Interview In Dressing Room After Game Eight - CBC Radio (1:39)

1972 Summit Series.com Player Profile
Team Canada
#19 - Paul Henderson - Left Wing

Position: LW
Shoots: Right
Height: 5-11
Weight: 180
Born: 1/28/1943 Kincardine, Ontario
1972 NHL Team: Toronto Maple Leafs

Summit Series Statistics
GP G A Pts PIM SOG SAG +/-
8 7 3 10 4 28 38 6

Other Team Canada Appearances -

Henderson had jumped to the WHA by 1974, just in time to return to Russia in the WHA's copycat tournament known as the 1974 Summit Series. Henderson was unable to recapture the magic, scoring 2 goals and 3 points in 7 games as Canada won only one game.

NHL Career Notes - A solid but unspectacular winger in his career, Henderson never really came close to achieving the same success in the NHL as he did with Team Canada.

The speedy winger played with Detroit and Toronto from 1963 through 1974 before jumping to the WHA. He made a brief NHL retunr with Atlanta in 1979-80.
Career NHL Statistics
GP G A Pts PIM
Regular Season 707 236 241 477 304
NHL Playoffs 56 11 14 25 28

Book Feature
Read Paul Henderson's memories of the Summit Series in Team Canada 1972: Where Are They Now? By Brian McFarlane $21.26 Cdn

cover

Special Offers
1972 Summit Series Games

Game One
Game Two
Game Three
Game Four
Game Five
Game Six
Game Seven
Game Eight

Buy the DVD!
Canada's Team of the Century
cover

And to think BMR...hes your cousin :D

I've heard those stories about Bobbi,and apparently the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. When Brett refused to play on the Canadian team,then we beat his butt on the team he chose to play for.....that made my day

Messier is the all time great captains of any sport-he definately willed players to elevate their game.It's funny that even at 6/7 years old there are kids that seem to be born with a 'C' on their chest.

Without getting into the ones already mentioned, Deny Savard certainly comes to mind as another great. I remember him pulling the spin-o-rama and making guys look like pylons before Gretzky did it. But Wayne is still No. 1, then Bobby Orr.

Latest posts