• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Allflex Tags

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Andy said:
CattleRMe said:
Any of you used Ritchie (I think thats the spelling) tags? A few years back we did but Dad likes the Allflex so when we came home we went back to using what he did rather then carrying two tagging tools.
We use the richie grindable tags and allflex backs. It seems to work very good.

We had pretty decent luck with the Ritchie engravables, but they must have changed their recipe there for a couple of years because we have a huge number of Ritchie tags that break off where the neck joins the tag. Seems like it was just the 2 years worth, but it's enough to sour me for good.

lol need to learn... We use PURPLE! We use the big Y Tex tags on the cows (both ears this year for my geekie record keeping ease :roll: )

We started using cow sized Z tags last year on the calves (they are not huge). We number them on the spot and we really like them. They don't tear out a calves ear the way a y tex calf tag will, and even though I really didn't like doing them at first (I was raised doing y tex button type) I like them now. We do like not having to mess with finding buttons now that we are earmarking, giving alpha 7, and tagging at birth. Also the dang black piece that goes in the y-tex tag at the top of the neck around the hole was forever falling out and the back won't stay in at all without it so we were digging around the tag box scurrying to get it in and ready before mama and baby took off.

We have looked into other colors but between our neighbors here and at our summer pasture, we are locked into the purple, which does show up decently against the black cows, and is pretty easy to read... Personally, I would choose Red with white lettering. Oh maybe not, when I had my own cows (before k_ranch and many other things) I had blue y tex with black lettering. That's what his dad uses now though... ok enough rambling :wink:

We used a lot of Ritchie engravables over the years; nice tags but their quality went all to h*ll and they started breaking off just as Silver said. We have the best luck with Z tags of anything we've ever tried. BTW I sure don't miss grinding on those Ritchies; made a nice job but was slow and dirty!

We use Allflex tags, the last couple batches I've bought have been white and unmarked for calves. I was gettin tags ready about a week before we worked, and noticed my black markin pen was givin out. So when I ordered all the other stuff, I ordered a new marker too.....

Well there we were, out workin cows, I'd not got back to finishin up markin the tags so before things got too wild I laid out the tags and proceeded to open up the new marker.....I tried to write...nothin.......tried again..nothin.....shook it....nothin......beat and banged it...nothin.......hollered......nothin.....finally after all that, I noticed a wet spot on the tag.......I'll be daggumed if they didnt send me a WHITE marker. Who in their right mind orders white tags and a white marker??? (I didn't even know they made White ones) thank goodness I scrounged around and found an older black markin pen in my handy dandy pocket thing behind the seat of my truck. Saved the day LOL.

Latest posts