• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

amricans buy large canadian ranch

Help Support Ranchers.net:

elwapo

Reaction score
American funds have recently purchased a 35,000 acre ranch in south east Alberta. The rumor is that the backers are looking to aquire enough land for 25000 mother cow operation and develope a "natural beef " brand.

There is no shortage of Canadian ranchers wanting out of the business. However, I strongly object to non-Canadians being allowed to own Canadian soil.

If they want to use our natural grasslands for raising cattle, they should get their derriers to a Canadian embassy and become a Canadian citizen. Move here, live here, and spend your hard earned cash in your local community.

Probably wishful thinking? Our governments are selling the land and resources out from under us Canadians. When are we going to wake up? This land is our land, not your land. (Your - referring to any foreigner that wants to own the property but not live on it).

Not to say the purchase you mentioned, won't see the foreign backers ($$) moving here - must keep an open mind; but, it is highly unlikely, don't you think?

Kathy said:
There is no shortage of Canadian ranchers wanting out of the business. However, I strongly object to non-Canadians being allowed to own Canadian soil.

If they want to use our natural grasslands for raising cattle, they should get their derriers to a Canadian embassy and become a Canadian citizen. Move here, live here, and spend your hard earned cash in your local community.

Probably wishful thinking? Our governments are selling the land and resources out from under us Canadians. When are we going to wake up? This land is our land, not your land. (Your - referring to any foreigner that wants to own the property but not live on it).

Not to say the purchase you mentioned, won't see the foreign backers ($$) moving here - must keep an open mind; but, it is highly unlikely, don't you think?

Watch out Kathy- Someone will label you as "a Protectionist"- or God forbid, "an Isolationist" :lol: :lol: :lol: But in many ways I agree with you about people becoming part of the community and supporting the country they live in...... ($$) aren't everything.......

Kathy,

I've known lots of Canadians coming down here to do business or buy businesses. It is a two way street. One of them took a Feed contract away from me, I ddn't realize it was up for bid, not his fault.

I was struck by the automatic assumptions of motive. I agrre this is a large venture, but folks from both sidesof the border have invested in ranches from the oter side for years,

PPRM

Kathy, In the county I live in, the state, county and city guvment has given the Koreans $1.1 Billion to build a Hyundai manufacturing plant. Some incentive, huh?
I contend that small business employs more people than anyone else, and the guvments should have taken that same money and made low interest loans to small business in the area. They would have gotten their money back and employed lots more people.
Seems like Canada did the same thing with Hyundai in Ontario.
It's all about spending money for jobs. Guvments are "investing".
You can't keep foreign businesses/investors out, their paychecks spent just like anyone elses.

That's an interesting point Mike.

On a slightly different note, I watched the Indy 500 this year (on TV) and hadn't realized that there was hardly an American made (I use the term loosely) on the track. It seemed to be Toyatas and Hondas for the most part. When I turned it to NASCAR later, there were only Fords, Chevies, and Dodges. How long before NASCAR is taken over as well? I'm a casual race watcher so if I left out anyone's favorite I'm sorry.

What does anyone think of the new GTO's and Chargers out on the street? It looks to me as if they took some really cool old muscle cars and turned them into soccer mom's sedan.

American funds have recently purchased a 35,000 acre ranch in south east Alberta. The rumor is that the backers are looking to aquire enough land for 25000 mother cow operation and develope a "natural beef " brand.

35,000 acres Might support 1500 -2000 cows in the south east Alberta that I know but only if it actually rained.

The previous ranch owner was running about 400 cows with lots of winter pasture set aside. There is a rumour that a couple of other large ranches in the area are entertaining offfers as well. It will require alot more land base to run the projected numbers which is an important point. My understanding is that if a canadian shelf company is set up it removes some of the foreign ownership isssues of crown grazing lease.

Seems our governments have hoards of cash for buying votes and buying jobs sponsored/developed by foreign companies. These foreign companies get the land and/or cash insentivies;

and what do the Canadian Cattlemen get that want to build their own "Canadian packing plants"?

The Government says, "they can't interfere in private business".

As for grazing leases, I live in the "Special Areas", which may or maynot be different from AB crown leases - we will probably find this out in court some day (and I'll be there, with bells on!)

Our rules state to own grazing lease you must be a Canadian citizen. Corporations wishing to own GL must be owned by Canadian citizens. So I'm note sure if the dummy company ploy will work, unless it is registered in a Canadian front man/woman's name.

Did you know that according to Wikipedia online encyclopedia that Formula 1 racing cars use depleted uranium to add weight to their cars, in just the right places? Wouldn't want to be around one of "those" cars when it crashes and burns!

Kathy said:
and what do the Canadian Cattlemen get that want to build their own "Canadian packing plants"?

June 10, 2005
Author: Canadian Cattlemen's Association

This is the daily update for Friday June 10 brought to you by the Canadian Cattlemen's Association and BMO Bank of Montreal.

The Saskatchewan Government has announced a $37 million package to drive development of the meat processing sector in that province. The package focuses on expanding federally inspected meat processing. Slaughter capacity is expanding in Canada and shrinking in the U.S. due to the continued border closure. Yesterday another U.S. plant announced it was closing as a direct result of the border closure, with a loss of 200 American jobs.

Agriculture Canada announced $1.8 million in funding to assist packing plants, veterinarians and others to purchase radio frequency identification readers. This will enhance Canada's tracking and tracing system for cattle and further enhance the age verification system.

The United States Department of Agriculture reconfirmed its position in favour of re-opening the border to live Canadian cattle at a U.S. Industry Roundtable convened by U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Mike Johanns. Panelists representing all sectors of the U.S. beef industry spoke in favour of re-opening the border and emphasized the safety of both U.S. and Canadian beef. Only two panel members, representing R-CALF and the National Farmers Union, argued for keeping the border closed. Implementation of the USDA rule to reopen the border is delayed by a preliminary injunction issued in U.S. District Court, Montana Division.

This update has been brought to you by the Canadian Cattlemen's Association and BMO Bank of Montreal.

I stand partially corrected, as Saskatchewan is stepping up to the plate and this is a very good thing. Being from Alberta, I hear more of the "make it on your own two feet" comments.

Will the fed money help ranchers buy the RFID tag readers?

I would personally like to see the packing plants be kept "not to large". Plants like Tysons/Lakeside and Cargils are too big. By having more moderate sized plants, the less pleasant aspects of having a packing plant, might be avoided.

Thanks for the update.

Maple Leaf Angus said:
You are right about the plant size, Kathy. More smaller plants are better . . . more competition and greater stability. . .

No, No, No, Maple Leaf - According to SH you don't want these smaller "less efficient" plants bidding on your cattle because they won't be able to pay as much.

You have to have these bigger plants and you only want 2-3 at the most. See what Coke and Pepsi have done. :???: :???: :???:

Bloody hell, I'm not used to reading so many smart comebacks and synical remarks, like we are seeing after this USA announcement. Lively discussions going on here. I'm glad to have such a terrific source of information, and very up to date.

Mike brings up Coke Cola and Pepsi, and I just have to comment.

The aspartame in the diet produts of these two giant companies is probably a heck of alot more dangerous than malformed prion proteins, in our food. Every once and a while I come across a medical report or news article on the harmful effects of aspartame, first developed by Searle, and then bought out by Monsanto. The patent protection on aspartame has run out and lots of companies are making their own versions of it now. See the Wikipedia online encyclopedia, look it up.

Please don't eat it. Natural sugars are the only sweeteners you should use. Have a good night.

Kathy, When Royal Crown Cola came out with the "Diet Rite" it was a first of it's kind. The sweetener in it was banned soon after. "Cyclamates", I think it was.

Wow, Mike having one of those weird moments...

Last night while out for a late supper in town, (whippy).. I was looking at the little pink sac of artificial sweetener on the table. It was mostly some other product, not aspartame; but, it also contained a cylcamate product. There was a warning on it about certain people not using cyclamate....

I didn't pay that much attention to it, so I'll look again and let you know what I actually saw. I know some of the aspartame research talked about rats developing brain tumors. The interesting thing about aspartame is Donald Rumsfeld was involved with the company that developed it, and he helped somehow with removing the head of the FDA and replacing him with a "defense contractor". Very soon after, aspartame was approved for use. Seems the old FDA boss wouldn't allow it.

Chow. We are off to a 60th wedding anniversary. Incredible isn't it!

According to a chiropracter I know pretty good, aspartame began it's life as an embalming fluid. Don't know what changes were made (if any) to recycle it to an artificial sweetner. :???:

Latest posts