• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

And the winner is...

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Sure.

Taken with sw's camera, a HP Photosmart 945, 5.3 MP, 56x zoom. Taken at our branding last fall. sw is the guy with the iron, red shirt, back to the camera.

The nice thing about digitals is you can take LOTS of pics, try to catch the action and if they are too blurry or don't turn out very well, why, you can just ZAP them off the camera! No fuss, no muss.

Hey, thanks for voting my pic as #1. :) I can't believe, however, as many people who visited the site, only 50 voted?? :???: :???: :???:

and dust, this was last fall, when it was so dry I could not keep the coolers full of beverages for the help. As you can see by the picture, some of us had to work while others took pictures with my camera. Things are going to be different next Saturday when we brand, I'm going to guard the coolers and take pictures for the next photo contest so that more than one person votes for my picture!! (3) Also, my camera was used for picture 5 also, these girls need to keep there hands off my stuff!!
If anybody wants to help me guard the coolers and take pictures next weekend, come on down, could be an interesting day

Congrats Hanta :) and SW for having the camera and being busy :p Do we get to find out who the other 4 pictures belong to? (2 to Hanta and SW and one to Soapweed)

Faster horses said:
We limited it to only registered members could vote (however, I don't know how we could enforce that) so maybe we need to take off that stipulation.

Whatcha think?

only registered members can vote in polls anyways because of the software is my understanding.

sorry i was not able to vote, hanta!!! :cry: :cry:
been awful busy lately (working 6 days a week at the hospital, 12 hour shifts and taking care of getting the 16 year old ready for going to washington d.c. in april) :eek:

ranchwife said:
sorry i was not able to vote, hanta!!! :cry: :cry:
been awful busy lately (working 6 days a week at the hospital, 12 hour shifts and taking care of getting the 16 year old ready for going to washington d.c. in april) :eek:

That's ok, Ranchwife, I KNOW you're very busy, have a houseful of kids, and work 25/8. As soon as we get branding done we'll be AI'ing, when that's done and cleanup bulls put in, we'll have some time to do other things!

Congrats Hanta :D . We liked that picture- the dust gave it something extra.

We thought (for all it's worth) the photo #6, with the wood fire would have been an AWESOME picture in black and white! If you have a computer and a digital camera and/or scanner, you can do so many things to pictures to make them look terrific. Modern technology has made us pretty lazy, the only thing the computer can't fix is an out of focus pic (fuzzy) or make things look big without distorting the picture. It is still our responsibility to try to take these pics with the best of our ability, the better they turn out, the better the 'puter can mess with them. I remember dad with his polaroid (1960's vintage), we had to be absolutely still to get the pic to turn out. I think with sw's pic of the roper (#3) , you can see the loop he has on a calf. A person wanting to learn to rope should look at this pic and see how it's done. I think this is why sw thought this pic was great, and I have to agree with him.

If ya never noticed, the palomino horse in # 4 is the same horse sw is roping off in #5. Gotta make you guys observant!! :D :wink: :wink:

Hanta Yo congratulations on your winning photo, it looked pretty artistic and you sure captured the struggle that goes on over and over at the brandings in the spring.
Picture #6 was one I submitted of a branding here at home. Funny you mentioned thinking it would have been even better black and white. I had a notion to do that but decided not to because I liked the orange glow of the fire. Think just out of curiosity I'll give it a try though. I prefer the sound and smell of a wood fire to the roar of a propane stove. I don't sort the cows off of the calves but let them come out of the corral if they want to while we brand. In that photo a loop on the end of a rope was tied to an inner tube staked to the ground, slipped over the front leg of the calves as they were drug past. Since nordforks showed up I've used them on the end of the rope staked to the ground. They are easy on and easy off. The friends, neighbors and family that helped me tend to be a little older and stove up some and doing it this way a bunch of old stove up guys can brand a lot of calves with out getting over worked or any more stove up. Don't know if you noticed but thats jinglebob on the bay horse holding a calf. The guy branding the calf is smalltime and the fellow near the fire with the carhart coat and hat used to post under the name of Sherlock back when people were trying to figure out who lonewolf was.

Tumbleweed said:
Hanta Yo congratulations on your winning photo, it looked pretty artistic and you sure captured the struggle that goes on over and over at the brandings in the spring.
Picture #6 was one I submitted of a branding here at home. Funny you mentioned thinking it would have been even better black and white. I had a notion to do that but decided not to because I liked the orange glow of the fire. Think just out of curiosity I'll give it a try though. I prefer the sound and smell of a wood fire to the roar of a propane stove. I don't sort the cows off of the calves but let them come out of the corral if they want to while we brand. In that photo a loop on the end of a rope was tied to an inner tube staked to the ground, slipped over the front leg of the calves as they were drug past. Since nordforks showed up I've used them on the end of the rope staked to the ground. They are easy on and easy off. The friends, neighbors and family that helped me tend to be a little older and stove up some and doing it this way a bunch of old stove up guys can brand a lot of calves with out getting over worked or any more stove up. Don't know if you noticed but thats jinglebob on the bay horse holding a calf. The guy branding the calf is smalltime and the fellow near the fire with the carhart coat and hat used to post under the name of Sherlock back when people were trying to figure out who lonewolf was.

Thanks, Tumbleweed, I see your point with the fire! Maybe sepia tone?

I'm happy everything in the contest went according to plan. It is a big responsibility, I can tell you, even with only 7 photos.

Knowing we are all among friends doing this sure helps, because as we get more photos there might be mishaps, mix-ups, screw-ups, Murphy's Law and all that. :wink:

So remember, we are doing the best we can. If a mistake occurs, it will not be intentional.

Thanks, all!

Hey Tumbleweed,

How bout this, the best of black and white and the orange fire.

week1entry6_fithplace1.jpg

cert, that is totally awesome. TOTALLY! That photo would have WON for sure!

Why don't you take the contest over?

You are so knowledgeable while I just bumble along. I mean that sincerely!! I would feel much better knowing you were in charge. I will help if need be.

Good, we'll count on that then!
All photo entries go to cert!

Faster horses said:
Why don't you take the contest over?

You are so knowledgeable while I just bumble along. I mean that sincerely!! I would feel much better knowing you were in charge. I will help if need be.

Good, we'll count on that then!
All photo entries go to cert!

I'm on the floor laughing Faster Horses!!!

You are a riot. Whatever you want FH. This is your contest, you tell me I'm willing.

Latest posts