• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

And u thought the wind blew in Texas

Help Support Ranchers.net:

RSL said:
The rest of the pictures...
10.JPG
I think we need H with his CSI skills on this picture - notice the one short track that has no bale at the end? And the set of wheel tracks apparently heading from the end of that track out across the field? Anybody care to explain that one? Gcreekrch - where was your son when these pictures were taken? maybe he drove in and pushed the one bale back along the track - but $10 wouldn't pay his gas for going that far :lol: :lol:

Grassfarmer said:
RSL said:
10.JPG
I think we need H with his CSI skills on this picture - notice the one short track that has no bale at the end? And the set of wheel tracks apparently heading from the end of that track out across the field? Anybody care to explain that one? Gcreekrch - where was your son when these pictures were taken? maybe he drove in and pushed the one bale back along the track - but $10 wouldn't pay his gas for going that far :lol: :lol:

SIMPLE! Thats where the aliens landed and stole a bale to power their alfalfa powered cold fusion generator. :shock: Those dang afterburner systems the martians are running really have a bunch of output! The wind was caused by the fly-by to scout the bales for a higher percentage of protien and low moisture. Aliens won't feed just any old hay! :wink: Amazing damage and property loss. I sure feel for everyone up that way and hope they get back on thier feet. Mother nature's power is truly awesome. With water, wind, snow or extreme heat...... that ol' gal is still in charge!

leanin' H said:
Grassfarmer said:
RSL said:
10.JPG

SIMPLE! Thats where the aliens landed and stole a bale to power their alfalfa powered cold fusion generator. :shock: Those dang afterburner systems the martians are running really have a bunch of output! The wind was caused by the fly-by to scout the bales for a higher percentage of protien and low moisture. Aliens won't feed just any old hay! :wink: Amazing damage and property loss. I sure feel for everyone up that way and hope they get back on thier feet. Mother nature's power is truly awesome. With water, wind, snow or extreme heat...... that ol' gal is still in charge!

Or.....he had ONE cow left that didn't blow away that he needed to feed. So he came in and got one bale. LOL

For gawds sake GrassFarmer eat your porridge so you can man up a bit-I can even roll a good tight bale straight out of the baler. I'm pretty sure a plow wind could easily move hay like that. As for the wind in Medicine Hat at the '07 Canadian Finals there was a pretty good storm brewing when Ty was getting on his bronc-by the time he was at the strip chute getting his saddle the rodeo was stopped and a roof had blown off one of the fair buildings!!!

Grassfarmer said:
RSL said:
10.JPG

I saw that too, but if you look it appears as though the bale unrolled. I would expect if such a thing happened some bales would roll off their strings depending on which way the bale was made.
I've been hearing alot about these pictures the last couple of weeks, but it's the first chance I've had to see them. Looks to me like all the bales are rolling towards the river, and one would assume the surrounding land would slope at least a bit towards the river.
And Grassfarmer, if you can't roll a fresh bale you better startt eating your wheatties or get a new baler :wink:
Some years the bears get rolling bales around and can make quite a mess of things.

Oh i've rolled bales before - maybe 11-1200lb ones if they were very tight. I don't believe very many people could move a 1600lb bale regardless of what condition it was in. I've fed 1600lb bales often enough to know what they feel like.
I dunno about your unrolling bale theory silver - they looked to be net wrapped which likely makes them roll better but would also make them more inclined to open up than if they were stringed. Your unrolled bale theory doesn't work though - if that had happened the last little piece out of the center of the bale wouldn't have had enough force to make the same full scale impression in the standing crop that the full bales did. I think H is onto something - the aliens wanted one for feed analysis :wink:

.those pictures are real..the storm went through the Seven Persons' Bow Island area which is south of Medicine Hat last August...My brother in law who lives in the area lost all of his crops to hail and wind...in a year when grain was actually worth something

from what I've read i an 80-metre anemometer measured a wind of 215 km/h. It was July 15, 2008. That would likely move some little ole bales.

Hi:

The photos of the rolling bales are very interesting. I have received a request to publish these photos in the CSEG (Canadian Society of Exploration Geophysicists) Recorder. The link to the site is:

www.cseg.ca

The photos are of interest to the members who are engaged in exploration in Alberta. Do you know who took the pictures, and if they would be willing to have them published with a photo credit?

Thanks.
Howard Hepburn
CSEG member

[email protected]

Yep no doubt about whether round bales will roll across a field as I have seen it first hand. 9 years ago we had a severe thunderstorm with straight line winds that moved hay bales like that. Took down about 2 miles of power line. The Rural Electric crew said that one hay bale was air borne about 8 ft high and hit the first pole to start the domino affect. Also I had numerous hay bales in the creek that had gone over a 4 wire barbed fence with out bending any steel posts. May sound impossible but the power of wind is unbelievable. I have wondered what the wind speed would have been in an event like that.

Latest posts