• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Any cheap Canadian land?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

SDSteve

Reaction score
Is the price of pastureland in Canada any cheaper then it was prior to BSE? Everyone keeps telling me if I don't like G.W. Bush I should move to Canada. I don't like cold much and that damn metric system would probably kill me though.

Metric system is easy, just divide/multiply by 10. Everything is still sold/bought in imperial. The cold, well you'll get used to it, we did! Come on up for cheap drugs, free health care, and the works, but be willing to pay some additional taxes for it. Consider it insurance, we do!

SDSteve said:
Is the price of pastureland in Canada any cheaper then it was prior to BSE? Everyone keeps telling me if I don't like G.W. Bush I should move to Canada. I don't like cold much and that damn metric system would probably kill me though.

Depends on what you mean by cheap! Close to larger centers, not. Stuck out in the boonies, probably.

The Metric system is only good for those who were raised with it. I still have to convert everything back to Imperial, for it to make any sense to me. You have to buy Metric tools to fit the metric bolts on everything... or just round off the bolts like I do. Some of the good grassland in Saskatchewan is a ranchers dream come true but taxes are high there and the markets are distant. The winters can be extreme and if you don't like the cold you will soon learn to HATE it. I am sure there is room for you as people are leaving in droves.

Bward, if I didn't know better, I'd think you were trying to discourage our american Neighbors from moving here!

Bward said:
The Metric system is only good for those who were raised with it. I still have to convert everything back to Imperial, for it to make any sense to me. You have to buy Metric tools to fit the metric bolts on everything... or just round off the bolts like I do. Some of the good grassland in Saskatchewan is a ranchers dream come true but taxes are high there and the markets are distant. The winters can be extreme and if you don't like the cold you will soon learn to HATE it. I am sure there is room for you as people are leaving in droves.

Bward- Half of everything down here is metric anymore- Had everything figured out for amounts to ounces, quarts and gallons for pour-ons and stuff- then they went metric... Really is simpler when you finally figure out what is what...

But the part I hate is working on any equipment- need two complete sets of tools- part is metric, part is good old US-- Must be making the tool companies a fortune... But I end up like you-just grab whatever and round it off and then use a vise-lock.........

Oldtimer said:
Bward said:

Bward- Half of everything down here is metric anymore- Had everything figured out for amounts to ounces, quarts and gallons for pour-ons and stuff- then they went metric... Really is simpler when you finally figure out what is what...

But the part I hate is working on any equipment- need two complete sets of tools- part is metric, part is good old US-- Must be making the tool companies a fortune... But I end up like you-just grab whatever and round it off and then use a vise-lock.........

old timer it isn't goood old US it is IMPERIAL.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Oldtimer said:
Bward said:

old timer it isn't goood old US it is IMPERIAL.

To me it will always be US or foreign.......

SD Steve there's lots of reasonable priced land up here in god's country especially now since bankers don't like cows or plows too much-You could put a pretty good place together for around $1,000 U.S. a cow unit-better yet buy it and I'll rent your grass.

SD Steve... land is a good deal up where NR is but you gotta be some kind of tough to last...story goes that when the north boys talk black cross they mean crossed with a black bear!!! :wink: :wink: :D Helps keep the costs down as they hibernate all winter :!: :wink:

Well I'm not braggin' but we did almost gather a big old boar black bear and 200 saler/angus yearling steers on the first push through a brushy meadow. We'd of got two grouse with them too but they couldn't keep up to them steers after that bear ran through them. The pasture manager ruined a nice four year old colt of my neighbors by roping a bear off it after only a couple weeks riding-it got kinda western when the bear sat down and put his paw on the rope-when the horse got pulled up he bucked the guy off then kicked him into the bears lap-everybody was a bit gunshy afer that one lol.

Latest posts