• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Any strange Pig stories in your past?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

yikes, Faster Horses. I've heard of eating pigs' ears but not in reverse!

And yes, Haymaker, we'd like to hear how you rode a hog.

LOL FH,

My uncle has a huge scar on the end of his nose. He was teasing a pup and it bit a chunk outta the end of his nose. He was a kid, the doctor had a hard time sewing it up because he was laughing so hard,

I had forgotten all about that, thanks for the memory,

PPRM

Faster Horses: " but they got pretty wary because of getting in trouble for doing it. "

How do people discipline pigs? Do they cower like a rebuked dog?! Can they look guilty like a dog?

Ohh got a few pig tales we used to have a huge old duroc boar-my buddy and I consumed a 40 of vodka one day and let that old hog out into the yard for a pig rodeo-there was about 10 inches of fresh snow and we had a blast riding that old boar. If you want to make my son blush ask him to show you his hog bite-he would bait the old sows over to the fence when he was 5 or 6 then hop on their back and go for a ride-well one old girl tok a good size hunk out of him in a tender spot lol.

Ohh got a few pig tales we used to have a huge old duroc boar-my buddy and I consumed a 40 of vodka one day and let that old hog out into the yard for a pig rodeo-there was about 10 inches of fresh snow and we had a blast riding that old boar. If you want to make my son blush ask him to show you his hog bite-he would bait the old sows over to the fence when he was 5 or 6 then hop on their back and go for a ride-well one old girl tok a good size hunk out of him in a tender spot lol.

Northern Rancher we all knew you'd cough up a pig story when you got around to it!

My Dad used to talk about how they raised pigs back in the days of threshing machines. The fellow he worked for would make a wooden pen with a sort of a frame over it, and put the pigs in it. Then they would blow straw from the thresher in a big pile over top of it. They would feed and water the pigs through a hole in the top, and the pigs wouldn't come out until spring. They stayed warm and toasty all winter, and got grain and skim milk from the milk cows. (They used to ship the cream). He says that in the spring there would be the nicest fattest healthiest pigs you ever saw in that pile. I don't know if this was a general practice, or just something Dad's boss invented, but I do know he did it for years.

Pigs also don't like to go in trucks. My uncle had a trick where he would put a bucket over the pig's head, and the pig would back right up the ramp and into the truck.

Everybody used to raise hogs in straw piles here too_I have an old picture of a bunch of pigs coming out of their tunnel in one-hogs can take pretty good care of themselves for sure.

Kato said:
My Dad used to talk about how they raised pigs back in the days of threshing machines. The fellow he worked for would make a wooden pen with a sort of a frame over it, and put the pigs in it. Then they would blow straw from the thresher in a big pile over top of it. They would feed and water the pigs through a hole in the top, and the pigs wouldn't come out until spring. They stayed warm and toasty all winter, and got grain and skim milk from the milk cows. (They used to ship the cream). He says that in the spring there would be the nicest fattest healthiest pigs you ever saw in that pile. I don't know if this was a general practice, or just something Dad's boss invented, but I do know he did it for years.

Pigs also don't like to go in trucks. My uncle had a trick where he would put a bucket over the pig's head, and the pig would back right up the ramp and into the truck.

Amazingly clever about feeding them under a straw pile. Wonder if that would work with teenagers!! :D
A Vermont woman told me once she and her husb. always put a pail over their pigs' heads to get them into a truck so they wouldn't be afraid. My thinking was if you wanted to be sure to cause fear, just put a pail over a being's head and lead them in the dark. :roll:

We got a Collie puppy in the spring of '58 and he was a smart dog. he would do anything he was asked to do. He was good with pigs. he would grab them by the tendon on a back leg and they would go anywhere he wanted them to go.

Two of my uncles used the straw pile trick to provide shelter for pigs. They made cage with poles and hog wire, then blew the straw over it. I don't know how they got the pigs to tunnel their way out. Must have had pigs in there before they threshed. We were just kids then, so we had to crawl through the tunnel and see what the pigs home was like.

My Dad never had pigs arround the straw pile but sometimes a sow would farrow next to haystacks. Usully then he would lean an old door or something against the haystack and cover it with hay to keep the rain off.

We separated our milk and sold cream here too. Fed the skim milk to the pigs. Worked real well, pigs do best if they get protein from both an animal and a vegitable source.

Grampa had hogs when Dad was a child. Grampa's hogs just kind'a ran around the whole place. 'Course, there weren't many neighbors then! One day Dad and his brother invented a game where they would throw a board down amongst a flock of chickens, to see them scatter. Finally, their luck ran out and they killed a chicken. To hide the evidence, they put the dead chicken under the corner of the chicken house, out of sight. The pigs found it and were fighting over it where Gramma could see them out the window. She said, "Walter, those pigs have killed one of my chickens!' Thats when Gramma got the yard fenced!

Dad had a pet pig that he could ride around. One summer day he rode it up close to an open window on the house and stuck his head in the window and hollered, "Mom! Look at me!" At that time the window fell down and caught him behind the head and the hog ran away! He always said he sure was glad when Gramma opened the window and turned him loose!

Grampa's hogs would live out in the pastures and fields and Dad always said they would make huge mounds out of alfalfa, grass and dirt for their nest, to keep their piglets in. They would have to mow around them when cutting hay.

I have roped lots of pigs. It ain't so hard to rope them, but it is kind'a tricky keeping the rope on them! :wink:

Fellow who used to live in Montana claims he used to rope lots of wilder pigs by the heels. He said they hop just like a steer who is roped. John Ismay claimes he watched him rope 20 in a row, by the heels, from a horse, while they were in the next pen. He would then dally up and drag their back feet up to the top of the fence so John could reach thru' the fence to casterate them. Kind'a like Soapweeds branding device.

Tumbleweed used to help a neighbor who brande3d his pigs. Said they held them just like calves, but it was a lot noisier! :lol:

A pig cutting hosted by John Ismay now I'd travel to be a part of that-ask him sometime about the havoc we raised with a running iron at the sale barn lol.

Latest posts