• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Any suggestions/opinions are needed! Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Angus Cattle Shower

Reaction score
I have got four Registered Angus females, three of which are bred, (the other is a calf) with three of them bred to Angus again. The one that is not, is bred to our Supa Baldie bull, (5/8 Red Angus, 3/8 Simmental) because I am trying to get a really good show steer out of her. She is very long, correct, and deep. I will now breed her to an angus bull. She is out of Vermillion Dateline 7078 VRD, and a SAF Fame cow. The bull is also long, thick, and correct. She is my show cow. The question I have is on the one that I am about to describe to you. She is a DA ES RO Twister Grand-daughter, and the cow is a T J Amigo daughter. The other half of the Dam's bloodline is Woodhill Triple Threat. Her B.W. is 78 lbs, and her WW is 633 lbs. I AI bred her to Crescent Creek Quantum 79M, a bull from Semex, and I am wondering if anyone has seen any Quantum calves, or any animal that has relations to him. The link to the semex site is, http://www.semex.com Also, what bull should i breed her to this year? I would like to breed my cow to SAV 5173 Bando 1024, and he also is a bull from semex. She is a Rancher's Choice daughter. I would like to breed her to Hoff First edition, another semex bull. I wanna breed the dateline cow to Milcreek precise. What does everyone think of these ideas? Would you change/switch the bull?. also, what should I breed an Angus/hereford cow (3/4) angus to? Thanks in advance, and all opinions are appreciated!-)

Angus Cattle Shower,

I think you have two clear choices. A) If you want a show calf that will just get along okay but go on to make a good cow look at BR Midland. B) If you want to make a great show calf, and just an okay cow then look at Northern Improvement 4480 or EXAR Sudden Impact. Any more detailed questions just pm me.

I like BR Midland too, except for one thing, the price for one straw of semen. It is 100.00 for one straw!!! Any other ideas? any ideas on what to breed the crossed cow to? That would be her second calf. I want a great calf out of her, a meat machine, and a producer. ( a thick heifer that Icould put into our show string)

I am not sure where you are pricing the Midland but we bought 100 units about a month ago for 50.00 a unit. I am not sure but I do not think Dateline shows up anywhere in Midlands pedigree. We have had some really nice 2V1 heifers as well as 1I2's both sire groups appear to be flashy yet very functional in terms of making a place in the herd when they leave the tanbark. If you cannot find Midland cheaper than 50.00 let me know and I will put you in touch with the right person to deal with.

This is midland.

brmidland.jpg

Juan said:
Looks like he may be a "hard milker"though,Mike! :) :) :)

Wouldn't want to milk him by hand!

It's just hard for me to sell a "Thin Necked" bull. Most of my customers want masculine and athletic looking bulls. This one's all but...............

The reason he looks like a cow is too many breeders are all about the numbers but they dont know cattle just numbers and pedigrees...all that bull did was win an eating contest....

Angus Cattle Shower, This is a pictur of a 6 month old Midland daughter out of a big broody soggy middled 5 year old. As far as the conversation on BR Midland to be fair the picture posted was his calf picture. We all know how much bulls change around 10 months old. I could not find my picture of Midland as a mature bull. I promise you he looks very complete in the most recent picture. Having seen the bull in person I might go as far to say I wish he was a little smaller in terms of his chest floor dimension.
ELDRitaP202.jpg

AB,

I like that heifer a lot.....

IT's hard to quantify too much or too little, I like Bulls to look like Bulls, but I don't want too heavy of a front end. We can all take that statement and draw our own picture, but quantifying it on an internet forum, thats something else.....

ACS,,,,,,One suggestion, relax and take a deep breath. Define the numbers you want, narrow your search and then look at the bulls and some calves if you can. Then pick what really resonates with you. Trying to catch the industry whims will whiplash you, LOL......You gotta figure out what is important to you....You are starting to remind me of some dang ol horse breeder, LOL,,,,,

Just my two cents.

PPRM said:
AB,

IT's hard to quantify too much or too little, I like Bulls to look like Bulls, but I don't want too heavy of a front end. We can all take that statement and draw our own picture, but quantifying it on an internet forum, thats something else.....

ACS,,,,,,One suggestion, relax and take a deep breath. Define the numbers you want, narrow your search and then look at the bulls and some calves if you can. Then pick what really resonates with you. Trying to catch the industry whims will whiplash you, LOL......You gotta figure out what is important to you....You are starting to remind me of some dang ol horse breeder, LOL,,,,,

Just my two cents.

Ilike his numbers, and I don't know about you guys, but people around here would love a bull like him!!! I want to produce show cattle, as well as breeders, and I seem to have been doing a good job at it. As for neck, look at his recent pic in SEMEX, he has plenty of it. He is a good show bull, and he is a good breeding bull. he looks better than many of the other bulls that i have seen.

And if anyone says that showing cattle is easy, or it doesn't mean anything, look at 4h, look at how different breeds got their name out there, it is showing. You guys that have decent cattle, go show! It's plenty fun, you meet new people, you get your name out there, and you learn! :D

PPRM said:
AB,

Just my two cents.

Ilike his numbers, and I don't know about you guys, but people around here would love a bull like him!!! I want to produce show cattle, as well as breeders, and I seem to have been doing a good job at it. As for neck, look at his recent pic in SEMEX, he has plenty of it. He is a good show bull, and he is a good breeding bull. he looks better than many of the other bulls that i have seen.

And if anyone says that showing cattle is easy, or it doesn't mean anything, look at 4h, look at how different breeds got their name out there, it is showing. You guys that have decent cattle, go show! It's plenty fun, you meet new people, you get your name out there, and you learn! :D

I find it funny how many people are willing to blurt out a name of a bull to use, without asking a few more questions about the females. Every big named bull is not a perfect match on every female. Look for the weaknesses in the female, whether that be phenotypical or EPD wise and go from there!

Prefix and pedigree don't win in the showring or the pasture!

You want to have winning Steers in the Show Ring???? Take what you have and cross it with a Main-Anjou I believe... I don't pay enough attention, But I believe that is part of a winning Cross if that is your goal. My goal, run the kinda catttle that work where I live and that resonate with me......

PPRM

I find it funny how many people are willing to blurt out a name of a bull to use, without
asking a few more questions about the females. Every big named bull is not a perfect match
on every female. Look for the weaknesses in the female, whether that be phenotypical or
EPD wise and go from there!

Prefix and pedigree don't win in the showring or the pasture!

I know what you are saying, but I know what this cow has a fair amount of, but could use more is, milk. That bull, IMHO would produce one heck of a calf if he were bred to my cow.

I used Sleepeasy to AI a few of my comercial cows and was quite impressed with him good grouth nice frame and smal birth wieght. i think he was from Alta genetics but I'm not sure.

Latest posts