• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Any suggestions

Help Support Ranchers.net:

righter

Reaction score
Any of ya'll that have been in cold country for a long time have any tips on some way to keep hands warm while riding through the cattle? Can't seem to find gloves that are up to the challenge, much less tht keep fingers warm and allow for holding reins or roping something.

stick your hands down your pants. keeps your finger warm, and people seem to stay clear of you...

that is why the button fly on thier winter pants is on the inside!!!

If you really want to be warm in cold weaher-get the Arctic Shield mitt and glove system-it's a mitt with a glove liner-if you had to rope you can take the mitts off and just wear the liner gloves. You can also get a mitt that the top half folds back and leaves your fingers in a half glove. To be honest we don't rope much in the wintertime up here-it's too cold and too dangerous.

Best thing I've found when I fed with a team were "shooters mitts". They have a place for your fore finger and the rest cover your other fingers. You still have the use of your thumb and first finger.

I will wear warm gloves inside of big mitts alot also. If you have to use your hands you can slip the mitt off and still have your fingers protected.

I would think some of the new space age materials would be good.

I built a pair of tapedaro's for my saddle a few years ago and they have really helped keep my feet warmer. I'm the last one to get off and walk now and I used to be the first.

Also remember loose is warmer than tight when it comes to fit.

Well what ever you do ,dont try any of them lectric socks,I bought a pair one winter,had em on one cold morning and some how one of em shorted out,if you dont think a lil battery can make you get your boots of in a hurry,try em you will see what I mean......................good luck

Ok haymaker, I wouldn't recommend the lectric underwears then. They do have em ya know............yippidee do dah, git a short in yer shorts, ya be shuckin everthang, right there on the spot.

magazine sales might sky rocket in the hill country lmao

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
Ok haymaker, I wouldn't recommend the lectric underwears then. They do have em ya know............yippidee do dah, git a short in yer shorts, ya be shuckin everthang, right there on the spot.

magazine sales might sky rocket in the hill country lmao

Oh no not me I aint gonna try em,me and lectricity dont mix,it aint ever gonna get that cold in TX....................good luck

My Bay mare has a real fine fuzzy winter coat, her neck is a great handwarmer,

My solution wa to move from Wallowa County to Umatilla County, LOL,

PPRM

I don't have a need to ride in bad weather but I still ride my Goldwing ( fourth one since I flipped my first one ) and my wife got me heated Gloves, Socks, under shirt and long johns. They plug into the bike but some of the guys I ride with also use them hunting and Ice fishing. A gel type ( no acid spills ) motorcycle battery will attach to your belt and run everything 6 to 8 hours between charges.

I love them on the bike - - - I fixed it so that I can run them each independent and I can also run them at 1/2 output. Mostly I run the gloves and socks the most.

righter said:
Any of ya'll that have been in cold country for a long time have any tips on some way to keep hands warm while riding through the cattle? Can't seem to find gloves that are up to the challenge, much less tht keep fingers warm and allow for holding reins or roping something.

If you can find an army surplus store- get some of those old military mittens-- have the thumb and shooting finger so you have some finger dexterity-- two liners- a nylon (or some synthetic) and a wool liner... You add or remove liners as needed ( I keep spares in the trucks and at the house in case they get wet while I have the mitts off)-- the outside mitts go way up the arm and they have the fur on the backhand which makes a good nose wiper :wink: .....

HAY MAKER said:
Well what ever you do ,dont try any of them lectric socks,I bought a pair one winter,had em on one cold morning and some how one of em shorted out,if you dont think a lil battery can make you get your boots of in a hurry,try em you will see what I mean......................good luck

See Haymaker your getting old. Your problem was you dribbled down your leg and shorted your socks.

I heard it was so cold in Nebraska that Soapweed was playing the piano with his mittens on. :shock: :cowboy:

Big Muddy rancher said:
HAY MAKER said:

See Haymaker your getting old. Your problem was you dribbled down your leg and shorted your socks.

I heard it was so cold in Nebraska that Soapweed was playing the piano with his mittens on. :shock: :cowboy:

I guess wearing those stained woolies has given you a lil insight,seems to me you are talking from experience.................good luck

I don't know how cold it is in Neb. but in ND it is so cold that I saw a politician walking down the street with his hands in his own pockets :shock:

righter said:

Most of the time, I get by with extra large leather gloves with cotton roping gloves as liners. Then if the day warms up, the liners can be removed and a person can just wear the leather gloves. I wear gloves about any time of year, and for sure never leave home without them. Anytime a person has to fix fence, they are a vital necessity. I've always used leather gloves to rope,and once in a while get a rope burn even while using them.

For super cold weather, the old leather "chopper mittens" with a cotton liner are still the best. In cold wet weather, I like to wear rubberized gloves with the roping glove liners.

My gloves live tucked in the corner of the dash of my truck, right beside the inspection sticker. Everyone knows, "them's MINE" n to leave em alone. Bout the time ya git a pair good and broke in, someone borrows em and then ya hafta start all over again.

Latest posts