• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Anybody Snowed In?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Richard Doolittle

Reaction score
The sun's not up yet, but from what I can see it doesn't look like we got more than a couple inches of snow overnight. It's supposed to snow and blow through the day so we'll see what happens.

From what I can tell, maybe some of you folks to the South got dumped on a little more.

We have about 5 inches on the ground and still snowing, forecast is for rain and 50 F tommorow. Should be nice and sloppy for pregging and weaning next week.

We had 5 or 6 inches to start the week. Chinook winds blew yesterday and should again today. Snow will be gone for weaning today and preg testing Saturday.

we have close to a foot of snow and it is piled up where it doesn't need to be no travel here. will wait till the wind die's down and then start plowing roads. will be like plowing in the spring a lot of mud. hope everyone stays safe.

We only got around 6 in. over night :) but they say the winds suppose to come in and we could get another 6in. today. :( It's snowing hard right now.

Two inches of snow on the ground, 30 mph winds, 30 degrees, visibility two miles, and 100 percent chance of more snow as the day progresses. More snow tonight, with six to nine inches total snowfall. That is our prognosis. I did dump 8/10ths of an inch of rain out of the guage last evening before tipping it upside down for the winter. All of our heifer calves are still sucking their mothers, so we will dole out some hay. Had planned to sell 200 black-hided heifer calves at the sale today, but it has been postponed until a later date.

just a light dusting here. a few flakes in the air now, but it doesn't sound like we should be getting much more if any. then they are talking about a warm up for awhile.... :D i've had enough of October for this year.

Keeping my fingers crossed...this early winter should mean possibility of new ranch jobs opening up, when they finally realize they'll need qualified, experienced help getting thier cows fed. Getting awfully road-weary, driving around the region visiting with ranchers, sending out resumes and waiting for my phone to ring...I wanna get back to WORK dangit ! ! ! Damn hotel rooms are eating me ALIVE out here, this past month.

Somewhere around 16 inches of the stuff in our yard, the open areas have a little less. We didn't get much wind yesterday but it is really starting to kick up today. We were supposed to be weaning over the next couple days but I don't think that is going to work out like we had planned. With this snow we have had over two feet of snow already in the month of October. I hope to goodness that this isn't a harbinger of things to come for the rest of the winter. Dust pneumonia sure isn't going to be a problem this year with weaning.

Where is Algore when you need him?

...he's kicking back smokin' stoagies down on his beachfront Hacienda, in Cuba...where else would he be this time of year ?

Same here as what Soapweed wrote. Really muddy, have tire chains on already and have the calves where they can't drift if the wind comes up strong. Last year this time the snow was drifting up over the fences, and quite a few of the calves left the windbreaks and went with the storm.....not a good deal.

Blowing about 100 miles an hour down here. You go outside, you're likely to loose your ears. No much snow, but enough to be blown around and bite ya on the nose.

It's hard to tell since it has drifted, but I'm guessing over 20 inches so far. The wind is supposed to really pick up, so that will help open some ground :D . The girls are on their own since it's too dangerous to venture very far outside, especially if the wind does start blowing hard. They've got good shelter, so they should be fine.

It's a good day to stay inside and make beef stew and chocolate cake :wink: :D .

We're getting a shot of winter here too, been snowing pretty steady today. Seem to have an inch or so already, and a breeze from time to time.
You southerners stay warm and out of the elements, I think I'll winter up here were moderation carries the day :wink:

WyomingRancher said:
It's hard to tell since it has drifted, but I'm guessing over 20 inches so far. The wind is supposed to really pick up, so that will help open some ground :D . The girls are on their own since it's too dangerous to venture very far outside, especially if the wind does start blowing hard. They've got good shelter, so they should be fine.

It's a good day to stay inside and make beef stew and chocolate cake :wink: :D .

I was getting worried about you...haven't seen you on FB today. I'll be right over for stew and cake :wink:

Have 10-12 inches of snow here.. been snowing steady all day. had 3/4 inch rain before it changed to snow yesterday. had 3/4 inch of rain last weekend as well..so it is well soaked up. nice to have the moisture after so many dry years.

Latest posts