• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Anyone know?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Found 2 dogs through a contact Jilleroo gave me. The guy is going to bring them up next week.

Thanks for the help everyone, I have had quite a new learning curve.

gcreekrch said:
Found 2 dogs through a contact Jilleroo gave me. The guy is going to bring them up next week.

Thanks for the help everyone, I have had quite a new learning curve.

Gotta watch out for those learning curves. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The reasons to use two dogs together are two fold. First you have twice the dog power. Second, if they have the instinct of good guardian dogs, one will become the "night dog" that patrols the peremiter during the night while the "day dog" rests and backs up the night dog. During the day they trade jobs/duties.

Wolves would be tough to guard against. I use some pretty tough Akbash dogs that have worked coyote, bobcat, feral dog, and lion country without a loss, but a pack of 3-4 wolves would be more than a pair could handle I'm afraid. Good Luck with them gcreek.

Buck said:
The reasons to use two dogs together are two fold. First you have twice the dog power. Second, if they have the instinct of good guardian dogs, one will become the "night dog" that patrols the peremiter during the night while the "day dog" rests and backs up the night dog. During the day they trade jobs/duties.

Wolves would be tough to guard against. I use some pretty tough Akbash dogs that have worked coyote, bobcat, feral dog, and lion country without a loss, but a pack of 3-4 wolves would be more than a pair could handle I'm afraid. Good Luck with them gcreek.

Wolves are my biggest concern with only 2 dogs, I guess after feeding $100,000 worth of livestock to the furry things in the last 30 years, a 1000 dollars worth of dogs won't be much different. :? :roll:

That is true. These dogs have been bred/used for 5000-8000 years to do their job. If they have the instinct in them, u cant stop them from doing their job.

Gcreek, sometimes in the rough country of the river bluffs, I'll run three together, i guarantee that is a force not many predators want to even try. Most think its all about brute force, but actually it is more about the guardian dogs interupting the chase or pursuit before it starts.

gcreek, sometimes in the rough country of the river bluffs, I'll run three together, i guarantee that is a force not many predators want to even try. Most think its all about brute force, but actually it is more about the guardian dogs interupting the chase or pursuit before it starts.

I think Buck is on to something with this statement. A guy had a couple dogs chewed up pretty bad by wolves here a couple years ago, but to my knowledge they've left them alone since. Easier to chase deer and elk and not have to look over their shoulder?

I have a friend in the Ouchita mountains of western Arkansas that had a big tom lion move in on her commercial sheep/ goat herd. The lion was picking off 2-3 sheep a week and was killing a guardian dog about every time it came in. One night the lion came in and apparently the dogs had had enough, because several of them were found in the same pasture, having jumped fences to get there, and had took on the tom. The dogs were cut up pretty good and the lion got away, but never been back.

Latest posts