• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Anyone know?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

gcreekrch

Reaction score
Where we might find a couple of guard dogs for our sheep in western Canada.

Want dogs old enough to do their job, don't have time for pups.

PM me if you know of any leads.

Thanks, Dave

gcreekrch said:

Thanks, Dave

How about a eagle? :lol:

Big Muddy rancher said:
gcreekrch said:

Thanks, Dave

How about a eagle? :lol:

That would work in the daytime, our other option is calling a truck.

gcreek', you might try my neighbor at the pioneer or you b.i.l. might be able to help you round up one from his neighbor .lol seriously mike doherty at spokin lake might be able to point you in the right direction.296 4329

miocene said:
gcreek', you might try my neighbor at the pioneer or you b.i.l. might be able to help you round up one from his neighbor .lol seriously mike doherty at spokin lake might be able to point you in the right direction.296 4329

Thanks

What are you guarding from ? My neighbor has the big white mountain dogs with his sheep . He had a full grown male chained to a camper tailor in the pasture . 1 wolf killed that dog , But it wasnt easy by the looks of things . Try a Donkey it would be a good test . They eat the same things as sheep & dont bark much ! put weaned colts in the sheep so they can bond Its the bond that makes it work just like with the dogs .

Free advice is cheap you know

My nieghbor just got one from montana. I think hesaid 750 dollars and the guy recommended getting two. Seems like an awesomedeal to me ill see if I can find you a number.

Might have a GP from the same guy that has the 880 Oliver. I see a possible road trip

The reason we don't want a donkey is that it would likely bond with the horses that share the pasture with the sheep.
Predators are coyotes, black and grizzly bears, and wolves. We do have concerns with how long a dog would last with wolves but likely has a better chance at living than a donkey or llama because they will bark and let us know there may be an intruder they need help with.
Have a couple of leads on dogs over here. Advice from those who have them is to have 2 at a time. Also not to waste time with dogs that haven't been raised with sheep from day 1. A dog that is over a year old and bonded to sheep shouldn't cost over $400.
Found a couple in BC on Kijiji for free but there is probably a reason for the price.

Per, check your deal out and let me know.

they don't have to be bonded to the sheep but it helps.........if they make your headquarters their territory should be all it takes if you never take the sheep out of the yard
if my girls would ever get in the mood they could make you one

your right about the donkey bonding with the horses.....

could try and keep a shitter in with the sheep.....couldn't hurt till you get a dog

I keep 5 gp around here........haven't had any trouble for quite a while

hope you can sleep with all the barking going on when you get em,cuz thats what they do all night

good luck

I have been checking out our provincial site everday for you , but so far all are just pups. Sorry .

http://www.agric.gov.ab.ca/app68/livestock?cat=Sell&cat1=Herd%2FGuard

jodywy said:
There a free spayed female Pyrneens that been with sheep here in the paper this week 307-883-4121

Wonder what she's done? There is a free guard dog in a paper up here that "isn't compatible" with sheep. Shepard gave me a good lead but all the guy has are 4 month old pups, just not sure if they are ready to tackle the job yet.

What kind of rigamarole is it to import a dog into Canada now? 30 years ago we flew an Aussie Shepard up here from Texas, it wasn't a big deal then.

Thanks all, I'm still looking.

gcreek,
My BIL has a 3-4 year old fullblood GP for giveaway (located in western SD) PM me if interested---not getting rid of because he's a bad dog.

gcreekrch said:
jodywy said:
There a free spayed female Pyrneens that been with sheep here in the paper this week 307-883-4121

Wonder what she's done? There is a free guard dog in a paper up here that "isn't compatible" with sheep. Shepard gave me a good lead but all the guy has are 4 month old pups, just not sure if they are ready to tackle the job yet.

What kind of rigamarole is it to import a dog into Canada now? 30 years ago we flew an Aussie Shepard up here from Texas, it wasn't a big deal then.

Thanks all, I'm still looking.
it a small outfit that raises a few 4-H lambs every year, think the cost of the dog food dosn't figure in with flock size

Latest posts