• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Anyone still around here

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Status
Not open for further replies.
If all you want to do is pull a little honey off and get things pollinated you can just switch to BWeaver genetics and walk away. I still order from them from time to time and they take good care of themselves. The downside is that you'll have to put them well away from anywhere you want to be because about ten percent of them will be so miserable to be around that they'll cure you of wanting fruit and honey.
Any other genetics take a little more management but they can be really enjoyable. I always tell beginners to start with cordovan Italians if they can. You can get away with a lot of mistakes while you learn and they'll still do okay. They put up lots of honey so you get rewarded for the effort. The only real downside is they will have to be treated for mites.
Any time you have any questions I'd be happy to help. I might not know the right way to do it but I can tell you how I do it. :lol:

CP, we're thinking about going to California next year on our cattlemens trip and you left me high and dry, and I don't blame you. I haven't made up my mind if we're going or not, I'm pushing for Colorado, Wyoming. But our GCA leaders wife wants to go to California so that's probably where we're heading.

Things still make sense in the middle and top of the state. There's a lot there to like. Everybody thinks if you grew up in CA you know how to surf but that state has some awesome cattle country.

cow pollinater said:
Things still make sense in the middle and top of the state. There's a lot there to like. Everybody thinks if you grew up in CA you know how to surf but that state has some awesome cattle country.

Well if there's anything planned anywhere close to the coast we're definitely not going.

Just send me a gallon along the way, all I know is I will tell you if it's good or not.

cow pollinater said:
I always tell beginners to start with cordovan Italians if they can.

Any time you have any questions I'd be happy to help. I might not know the right way to do it but I can tell you how I do it. :lol:

Italians is what I have and that's pretty much all I know. One queen came from California and the other came from Jasper, TX. Supposedly the one from California came from a lineage of the guy who puts a bee beard on his face. (If that means anything to you)

Thank you for the help offer.

Big Muddy rancher said:
I've been here almost since the beginning, I'm with FH in that I don't remember anybody getting slammed for the size of their place or the number of cows.
We have lots of very knowledgeable people here from different areas with ideas that work for them and could quite possibly work for us.
Too busy ranchin' ! I don't post much anymore but I do check in often. If someone has a question I have lots of opinionated advice!

gcreekrch said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
I've been here almost since the beginning, I'm with FH in that I don't remember anybody getting slammed for the size of their place or the number of cows.
We have lots of very knowledgeable people here from different areas with ideas that work for them and could quite possibly work for us.
Too busy ranchin' ! I don't post much anymore but I do check in often. If someone has a question I have lots of opinionated advice!
odd how you pop up in a thread that is also discussing being treated for mites......... :lol: :heart:

Big Muddy rancher said:

I'm with you two, both as 'ancients' on this site, and for lack of hassles over ranch size.

AND, hasn't it been considered bad manners to ask someone the size of their ranch number of cattle??? It may also be considered equally impolite to boast about ones acres and cow numbers in some areas.

I know some of us were taught that asking that q. is akin to asking those in other jobs/businesses how much their incomes and net worth are, and simply isn't done. An area story is that years ago a NE rancher was asked by a new acquaintance "how many cows do you have?" He answered "I have enough cows to eat my grass". Next q. from 'tenderfoot' was "how many acres of grass do you have?" The rancher answered "I have enough grass to feed my cows". It's likely Soapweed has heard that story, as it originated not far from where he lives.

Personally, it is way more important to me that a person is friendly and interesting to visit with than what their assets may be. And the conversation sure doesn't have to revolve around cattle or ranching, even if that is what I know best. I sort of like to learn about other ways of life from people with other careers.

mrj

mrj said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

I'm with you two, both as 'ancients' on this site, and for lack of hassles over ranch size.

AND, hasn't it been considered bad manners to ask someone the size of their ranch number of cattle??? It may also be considered equally impolite to boast about ones acres and cow numbers in some areas.

I know some of us were taught that asking that q. is akin to asking those in other jobs/businesses how much their incomes and net worth are, and simply isn't done. An area story is that years ago a NE rancher was asked by a new acquaintance "how many cows do you have?" He answered "I have enough cows to eat my grass". Next q. from 'tenderfoot' was "how many acres of grass do you have?" The rancher answered "I have enough grass to feed my cows". It's likely Soapweed has heard that story, as it originated not far from where he lives.

Personally, it is way more important to me that a person is friendly and interesting to visit with than what their assets may be. And the conversation sure doesn't have to revolve around cattle or ranching, even if that is what I know best. I sort of like to learn about other ways of life from people with other careers.

mrj
My answer is usually "too many to feed, and not enough to pay the bills."

Even more appropriate, Shortgrass! And it's pretty 'short' grass here this year, too. Our best bluestem pasture is being grazed in summer for the first time, and time is running out for fall rain and more growth this fall.

I'm being 'helped' by a two year old, so better quit before the two of us really foul up this computer!!! She is lots of fun, but sure has determination....and fast hands, whether pouring juice or trying computer keys!!!

mrj

backhoeboogie said:
I went back to CT to check. Nothing worth noting. TB calling for a boycott of Everything Else board and the Coffee Shop. Is he trying to bait us in out of rebellion? Lol
You are lying out your a$$. (again)

TexasBred said:
backhoeboogie said:
I went back to CT to check. Nothing worth noting. TB calling for a boycott of Everything Else board and the Coffee Shop. Is he trying to bait us in out of rebellion? Lol
You are lying out your not nice. (again)

I'm sure the truth is gonna hurt. (again)

http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=110744&p=1440116#p1440116

backhoeboogie said:
TexasBred said:
backhoeboogie said:
You are lying out your not nice. (again)

I'm sure the truth is gonna hurt. (again)

http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=110744&p=1440116#p1440116
Wrong again. Simply moved the post back to the top so it would not get lost. But I did agree to cool it awhile with the attacks. If I had wanted to bait you it would have been very easy...that's why you think I don't like you... :mrgreen: I'm sure there are those here as well that would do the same thing IF the situation came to that point over here. Hopefully it won't....but that's up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts