• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Are you ready for Brokeback Mountain?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I went to an art show and awards banquet in Jackson Hole,Wyo. with an artist friend one time. It was a pretty fancy affair with everyone dressed up and plenty of good food and lots of silverware around your plate to eat it with. When we left my friend asked me if I had noticed the lady that was getting a five oclock shadow :???:. She said she was a nice looking lady with a nice hair do, pretty dress, jewlry and make up. I said hell no, who would think to look for a lady needing a shave but if she ever saw anything like that again to let me know I wanted to see it.

We went to an art show in Seattle some time after the one at Jackson Hole. We were sitting at my friends booth when a couple of ladys walked up and were looking at the art work. When they were leaving my friend bumped me in the ribs and said "she's butch" . I'm hard of hearing and I asked "butch who"? That embarrased my friend because she thought they were still close enough to hear me but up until then I thought butch was a name or style of haircut. She then explained there was another meaning :shock:. She said there was a couple of old cowboys that were queer and sometimes came to the shows and would buy artwork as well :shock:. I think that kind of stuff is all kind of strange and disgusting and I still don't believe it can be for real.

Faster horses said:
Wyoming doesn't have the best reputation for welcoming gays with open arms...

Actually, the movie was filmed in Canada, and the Wyoming Dept. of Tourism is not happy.
http://wyomingbusiness.org/tourism/tourism_film_arts_entertainment.aspx
"The Wyoming Film Office is exploring incentive programs that would make Wyoming more competitive in bringing the jobs, economic impact and tourism promotion that on-location filming contributes to a state. Please contact your local Wyoming legislators to express your support of the film incentive legislation that will be presented to them in February 2006. The recent loss of two films with the storyline set in Wyoming that shot in Canada due to production savings/incentives has prompted this legislation development."

reader (the Second) said:
My husband being from Argentina was homophobic (well was made very uncomfortable about homosexusals). I promised a friend who came out of the closet that I would not tell anyone and I didn't for seven years. I didn't even tell my husband and this guy was a close family friend. I have to say my husband when he found out as usual behaved like the good man that he was and accepted this if it was what our friend was. When my husband died it was in the midst of the hullabaloo about gay marriage. I have to say as someone who had lost their soulmate of 31 years that the LAST thing I was going to oppose at that point was someone's right to have love -- of whatever sort -- in their life. Believe me as a widow over 50 talking with other lonely older women and men, there are a lot of lonely people in the U.S. in our nuclear family, transitory, materialistic, driven culture and I'm not either mocking or judging anyone who finds a chance at happiness.

My sermon for the Christmas season.

They have never bothered me mentally - I guess I'm just secure in my own Sexualty

Juan said:
theHiredMansWife said:
Hollywood is bound and determined to shove their way of life on the rest of us...

Actually, it's already amongst the "rest of us".
A good friend of ours is head cowboy in a feedlot and one of his pen riders was gay. He's since moved on, as all hands do, but our friend and his wife would occasionally have he and his partner over for supper...

I wondered when someone was going to start a thread on this!
The only tv news we get in the morning is ABC.GMA has been touting this piece of crap every morning.It's enough to make you puke :mad: :mad: :mad:

The Baxter Black quote reminds me of what I once heard him say"How could two people sodomizing each other expect to be treated as normal?
'.

I agree with you, Juan. It's in the Bible, God does not approve of such behavior. I'm not a very religious person, but read a few passages from the Bible: Leviticus CH 18 is some interesting reading. Leviticus 18:22 : Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman, that is detestable. Leviticus 18:24 : Do not defile yourselves in any of these ways, because this is how the nations that I am going to drive out before you became defiled... Does this sound familiar or what? What is the world coming to? :?

If any was filmed in WY, it must not have been much...
http://www.casperstartribune.net/articles/2005/12/11/news/43eccd949e18e8ab872570d4000724b0.txt

Everything I've read said that they were frustrated to have lost yet another Wyoming-based movie to Canada...

Hanta Yo said:
I agree with you, Juan. It's in the Bible, God does not approve of such behavior. I'm not a very religious person, but read a few passages from the Bible: Leviticus CH 18 is some interesting reading. Leviticus 18:22 : Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman, that is detestable. Leviticus 18:24 : Do not defile yourselves in any of these ways, because this is how the nations that I am going to drive out before you became defiled... Does this sound familiar or what? What is the world coming to? :?

Has everyone read Dear Dr. Laura?
http://www.dogchurch.org/restroom/drlaura.html
It's pretty good...

The Bible is chock full of rules that even faithful Christians break on a regular basis. One of the most popular is moving the Sabbath day to Sunday. :wink:
Paul tells us that women shouldn't braid their hair and no one should adorn themselves (ie, no jewelry). For that matter, according to Leviticus, mold in your home should be erradicated with a priest and a ceremony involving a bird... Myself, I prefer Tilex. :D

No, I figure I have enough logs in my own eye to worry about before I start getting shook up about specks in my neighbors'.
God tells me He'll judge the just and the unjust. I have faith in Him to do exactly that.

Our night calver showed up a couple months early, and has been busy doing some fencing and shop work. He is a good hand, and the best fence builder I've ever had the privilege of working around. His box corners and gates are works of art, and he takes great pride in all of his duties. He darn sure gives an honest day's work for an honest day's pay.

He is a loner, and pretty well hates people. He worked for us back in the late eighties, and I was proud that he worked on this ranch for four years and three months, the longest that he ever worked anywhere. His religious affiliation could probably best be described as "agnostic" or "caustic."

Peach, Kosmo, and I were headed out the door last Sunday evening. I told the fence-builder, "Got plenty of room if you want to ride along."

"Where are you going?" he asked.

I replied, "Church."

He answered back, "Sheeeeiiiit," before retreating to his trailer. Needless to say, he didn't ride along. :? :???: :( :wink:

As far as the "gay" issue. I always figure that for every gay guy, that leaves two more woman for me! :wink:

I have NO inclination towards that life style, but I do go to say that I can see tow men living together and getting along better than a man and a woman! :lol:

Damn, if we just hadn't started letting them vote! :wink:

:lol:

:oops:

:lol:

Letter to Dr. Laura
j. wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). problem back then was two differnt fibers didn't blend too well wool will felt, cotton will shrink so clothes made from two differnt fibers just didn't hold up.
i. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean.
think it had more to do with Parasites , that showed up in people eating and handling pigs back then, as they have a digestive tract much like ours so the same bug get us both.
f. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Lev. 11:10), it is a lesser
like the pigs , red tides, shell fish filter the water, and if people are living and polluting the water next to them , well they get sick when they eat the shellfish.
b. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7.
still happens today in some spots of the world, some even have to buy thier bride from thier parents.
a.When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odour for the Lord (Lev. 1:9). all my niegbors like the smell of BBQ!
yes some of those rules or commanmets are outdated but they fit that time and do others fit out times...

YIKES! I never meant to open a can of worms, just expressed my opinion.

Religion is a touchy subject, everyone has their own beliefs. Did anyone watch Barbara Walters and her thing on going to heaven and talking to different religions and what their beliefs were about heaven? I don't care for Barbara Walters, and some of the questions were quite dumb but it was interesting to listen to believers of different religions and what heaven means to them and how they get there. Islam was esp interesting.

Boy, talk about getting off the subject! I apologize for that one! :?

:???: :???:

So much in the Bible is left to interpretation---Started watching a show on the History Channel last night-- It had on arceologists and historians that depict Moses as being the leader of a warrior tribe that were paid mercenaries for the Pharoah, who dropped out of his favor because they got too powerful...It attributes Moses Exodus exploits to him being a great military commander...Fell asleep before the end of the show :? ....

Oldtimer said:
So much in the Bible is left to interpretation---Started watching a show on the History Channel last night-- It had on arceologists and historians that depict Moses as being the leader of a warrior tribe that were paid mercenaries for the Pharoah, who dropped out of his favor because they got too powerful...It attributes Moses Exodus exploits to him being a great military commander...Fell asleep before the end of the show :? ....

It was about all of the major military/leaders of the OT, it only started with Moses.
Watch for the rerun. It was *really* good.

Hi folks! Wow! We're having fun with this one! Here's an article that appeared in the Arizona Republic you might enjoy reading. It's a little long, but not too bad. You get into it, and it keeps you going. It was written by Maureen Dowd of the New York Times. She likes to take shots at "W," and she takes a lot in this piece, but it's still fun. Like I said in the beginning, are we ready for Brokeback Mountain?

CONFUSING TIMES FOR ALPHA MALES

by Maureen Dowd, New York Times, Wed, Dec 21, 2005

As President Bush tries to shake off his dazed look and regain his swagger, he will no doubt dust off his cowboy routine: his gunslinger pose, his squinty-eyed gaze, his dead-or-alive one-liners, his brush clearing at the Crawford ranch.

But this time, he may want to think twice before strapping on a Texas-shaped belt buckle. W might inadvertently conjure up images of Bushback Mountain.

The High Plains, one of the few remaining arenas where men were men, may now evoke something more ambiguous, like men with men. After Brokeback Mountain, pitching that pup tent on the prairie will never seem the same.

Can a culture built on laconic cowboys like John Wayne and Clint Eastwood survive one rough-hewn cowboy crooning to another, as Jake Gyllenhaal's Jack Twist tells Heath Ledger's Ennis Del Mar: "Sometimes I miss you so much, I can hardly stand it." Or, "I wish I knew how to quit you"?

The Duke's tough "Pilgrim, you could've gotten somebody killed today and somebody oughta' belt you in the mouth" has a different ring than Jake's vulnerable entreaty, "It could be like this, just like this, always."

Hmm. Maybe it's time to take another look at that sway in John Wayne's stride.

Everything will have to be re-evaluated.

High Plains Drifter now sounds like guy who might get arrested in a bus station bathroom. And audiences may be ready for The Good, the Bad and the Bad Hair Day.

For decades, Republicans have had electoral success exploiting the simplistic frontier myth. Ronald Reagan galloped in from the West to rescue Washington. Dick Cheney's aides cast him as the stoic rancher who would blast a shotgun at rustlers if they messed with his cattle.

In 2004, the GOP convention was staged like The Magnificent Seven, with a gunslinging posse - including Rudy Giuliani, Arnold Schwarzenegger and John McCain - riding in with W and Vice to save the town from the black hats.

Poor John Kerry had to fall back on sailor imagery, skippering a boat into Boston and saluting the crowd with "I'm John Kerry and I'm reporting for duty." At least he managed not to use the Village People's In The Navy as his theme song.

A president who hates dissonance, who prefers a world in black and white, is now confronted by confusing gray shades everywhere he looks.

Hollywood is busy sensitizing - and emotionally layering - archetypal macho guys, including our most famous alpha male. He's still strong and decisive. His back's as hairy as ever. But it's just not the same Kong.

This lovable overgrown monkey is more like the brooding, wounded and steadfast romantic heroes Heathcliff and Rick Blaine. Like Jane Austen's Darcy, Peter Jackson's big ape goes for gals with spunk. He likes babes who juggle more than jiggle.

This gorilla doesn't go around tossing "gorilla dust," as Ross Perot used to call it, just to get into another alpha's space. He doesn't look for a T. rex simply to rip its jaws apart -he only protects his loved ones. He'd rather hang out on his mountain, enjoying the sunset and watching his gal juggle and do pratfalls.

In a way, the new images of alpha archetypes are subversive precisely because the cowboys and the king of the jungle remain macho even as they become more nuanced.

The latest Kong waits for the blonde to come to him. "This time, he really seems to have the qualities of a hero in a woman's romance - he's distant, he's suffering, he's aloof," says Cynthia Erb, a professor and the author of Tracking King Kong: A Hollywood Icon in World Culture.

As the hairy antihero grows more sensitive with each remake, the Ann Darrow character gets more sexual and aggressive. "She goes from a naive, innocent, screaming, virginal character in the '30s to a sexually free, liberated feminist woman in the '70s," Erb notes. "In this one, she has the benefits of feminism and is the one who in some ways initiates the courtship. She actually works to earn his interest." And tries to save him.

For all its dazzling digital spectacle, King Kong is not as daring as it could be. Peter Jackson could have made Kong a woman. Or, while he was borrowing Titanic imagery for the lovers' parting on the Empire State Building, he could have gone all the way and made Brokeback Island.

Just picture it: Leonardo DiCaprio, blond, doe-eyed and smitten, curled in the ape's epicene yet hairy grip. Kong, swinging both ways.

Utah Theater Cancels 'Brokeback Mountain'
SALT LAKE CITY - A movie theater owned by Utah Jazz owner Larry Miller abruptly changed its screening plans and decided not to show the film "Brokeback Mountain." The film, an R-rated Western gay romance story, was supposed to open Friday at the Megaplex at Jordan Commons in Sandy, a suburb of Salt Lake City. Instead it was pulled from the schedule.
A message posted at the ticket window read: "There has been a change in booking and we will not be showing 'Brokeback Mountain.' We apologize for any inconvenience."

Cal Gunderson, manager of the Jordan Commons Megaplex, declined to comment.

The film, starring Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal, is about two cowboys who discover feelings for one another. The two eventually marry women but rekindle their relationship over the years.

The movie's distributor, Focus Features, said that hours before opening, the theater management "reneged on their licensing agreement," and refused to open the film.

Gayle Ruzicka, president of the conservative Utah Eagle Forum, said not showing the film set an example for the people of Utah.

"I just think (pulling the show) tells the young people especially that maybe there is something wrong with this show," she said.

Mike Thompson, executive director of the gay rights advocacy group Equality Utah, called it disappointing.

"It's just a shame that such a beautiful and award-winning film with so much buzz about it is not being made available to a broad Utah audience because of personal bias," he said.

A service of the Associated Press(AP

That's really unfortunate.

It's already an R rated movie, which means only adults should have been going in the first place. In other words, the only ones they're "protecting" are adults. People who should be old enough to make their own decisions.

I can see not showing it because you don't think you'll get the draw you need to pay for it, but it's another to give it to censorship. That's kind of sad...

Side note:
This movie is being discussed around my neck of the woods lately and something I've discovered is that it tends to be the men who are really shook up by it. The women simply don't care or they actually want to see it...

Latest posts