• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Attorney Generals support R-CALF Injunction

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Awful quiet on here this morning- Only thing I could find to stir up some action..... :)

State attorneys general support cattlemen's suit
Associated Press

HELENA - The attorneys general from Montana, North Dakota and five other states filed legal arguments in federal court Wednesday supporting a livestock group's lawsuit to halt expanded imports of Canadian beef and cattle in the wake of mad cow cases in that country.

The attorneys general said they support the group's request for a temporary court order preventing the U.S. Department of Agriculture's expansion plan from taking effect as proposed next month, calling it "hasty."

"Our position is that the USDA's plan should be put on hold until the court considers the pending case," Montana Attorney General Mike McGrath said in a written statement. "The potential consequences to U.S. producers and consumers could be catastrophic. Delaying the USDA's hasty decision and allowing full consideration by the court is the right thing to do."

McGrath and North Dakota Attorney Wayne Stenehjem submitted the "friend-of-the-court" brief, which was also signed by their counterparts in Connecticut, Nevada, New Mexico, South Dakota and West Virginia.

In December, the USDA announced it would allow imports of cattle under 30 months and certain other animals and products from Canada, including beef products, beginning March 7.

On Jan. 2, however, Canadian officials announced they had confirmed a new case of mad cow disease in that country. The group R-CALF United Stockgrowers of America sued the USDA in U.S. District Court in Billings later that same month, arguing the agency's plan would pose a risk to both consumers and U.S. producers.

The group is seeking a court order halting the plan from taking effect until the merits of its case are considered.

Last week, the Agriculture Department said it intends for its plan to go into effect March 7, but agreed not to allow meat from older Canadian cattle to be shipped into the United States. Previously, the import plan would have allowed meat from animals of any age. The ban on bringing any cattle 30 months and older remains in force.

Good thing is that George ain't gunna lissen!

It should read: McGrath and North Dakota Attorney Wayne Stenehjem submitted the "FRIENDS OF R-LAFF" brief, which was also signed by their counterparts in Connecticut, Nevada, New Mexico, South Dakota and West Virginia.

Catastrophic? For who? Pretty inflammatory language to use when there is more than a small chance that they'll have to deal with American BSE in the future. But then again, that's not THEIR problem, it's the American cattle industry's problem.

I assume these are elected officials, not civil servants. :wink:

When you read something like this, always look a little deeper to see exactly where their interests really lie.

Anonymous said:
Good thing is that George ain't gunna lissen!

It should read: McGrath and North Dakota Attorney Wayne Stenehjem submitted the "FRIENDS OF R-LAFF" brief, which was also signed by their counterparts in Connecticut, Nevada, New Mexico, South Dakota and West Virginia.

States fight to ban Canadian cattle

By JO DEE BLACK
Tribune Staff Writer

Citing risks to public health and the economy, Montana Attorney General Mike McGrath and North Dakota Attorney General Wayne Stenehjem filed a brief on Wednesday supporting an injunction to keep the U.S. border closed to Canadian cattle.

Five other attorneys general also signed the brief.

The "friend-of-the-court" brief was submitted in U.S. District Court in Billings, in support of a request for an injunction by the Ranchers Cattlemen Action Legal Fund United Stockgrowers of America.

Formerly called an amicus curiae brief, the legal move is intended to let a court know that parties not involved in a suit agree with the plaintiffs.

R-CALF, a Billings-based nonprofit association of cattle producers and feedlot owners, filed suit against the U.S. Department of Agriculture in January to repeal a rule that will classify Canada as a minimal-risk region for bovine spongiform encephalitis, more commonly called mad cow disease. The classification means live cattle from Canada can be imported into the United States. The rule is set to go into effect March 7.

R-CALF also is asking the court for an injunction while the suit is being considered. A hearing on that request is set for March 2.

The United States banned Canadian beef and cattle after a cow in Alberta tested positive for BSE in May 2003. Since then the border has reopened to some Canadian beef.

"Our position is that the USDA's plan should be put on hold until the court considers the pending case," McGrath wrote in a news release. "The potential consequences to U.S. producers and consumers could be catastrophic. Delaying the USDA's hasty decision and allowing full consideration by the court is the right thing to do."

"We have a responsibility to our producers, and we have a responsibility to protect the health and safety of our consumers," Montana Gov. Brian Schweitzer wrote in a statement.

In early January, two more Canadian cows were found to have BSE. BSE can cause the fatal disease variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease in humans if they eat meat with brain or spinal cord particles from infected cattle.

"This is a way for us to add our voices," said Lynn Solomon, communications officer for the Montana Department of Justice.

In addition to McGrath and Stenehjem, attorneys general from Connecticut, Nevada, New Mexico, South Dakota and West Virginia joined the brief.

R-CALF Chief Executive Officer Bill Bullard was in Texas Wednesday lobbying state officials there to file a similar brief.

"Washington state has also expressed interest in filing a brief," he said.

What the hell would make Texas sign on this is definately not going to affect there market. R-Laff is no more than a time bomb waiting to blow up the US beef industry. Good luck Folks! Why won't r-calf answer our questions . Sent them an email asking a question. Never did respond.> They are sure hiding lies!

Manitoba Rancher, R-calf is kinda like a lady of the night. Pay before you play, but all you get in the end is ----ed.

Maybe they don't answer Canadian emails as I emailed them and they didn't answer me either. So I called them to ask them a question and they couldn't answer me if I was a reporter but finally admitted to what I was asking when I told them I wasn't a reporter. I have emailed them since and again no reply. :roll:

"R-CALF Chief Executive Officer Bill Bullard was in Texas Wednesday lobbying state officials there to file a similar brief."

Texans ar smarter than that........well most of them right Haymaker?

Anonymous said:
"R-CALF Chief Executive Officer Bill Bullard was in Texas Wednesday lobbying state officials there to file a similar brief."

Texans ar smarter than that........well most of them right Haymaker?

I dont know if you could call it smarter but most ,like myself are staying nuetral in the border dispute.R CALF has not done much organizing in Texas but I hear thats gonna change,we'll see...............good luck

Latest posts