• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Back from South Dakota

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
Got back in last night from a week in S.D. Had dinner with Katrina and her hubby last Sunday night and enjoyed meeting them both. Great people!
Three days of hunting and 2 days of looking at great South Dakota cattle makes me envious of the ones who live there.
The south has nothing on the hospitality we experienced.

My truck has 3460 more miles on it than it did when I left here and I paid up to $3.59 per gallon for fuel but it was well worth it.

I was amazed at the game population around Isabel, S.D. Seems like deer, antelope, pheasants, turkeys, grouse etc. are in view everywhere you look..

Here' to the good folks in South Dakota!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike said:
Got back in last night from a week in S.D. Had dinner with Katrina and her hubby last Sunday night and enjoyed meeting them both. Great people!
Three days of hunting and 2 days of looking at great South Dakota cattle makes me envious of the ones who live there.
The south has nothing on the hospitality we experienced.

My truck has 3460 more miles on it than it did when I left here and I paid up to $3.59 per gallon for fuel but it was well worth it.

I was amazed at the game population around Isabel, S.D. Seems like deer, antelope, pheasants, turkeys, grouse etc. are in view everywhere you look..

Well good to see you back,and find out you had a good time. Not much has changed here on the board,I guess ole packer lover sh** getting caught telling packer lies again,and then welching on his bet to sandhusker was the thing that made every bodys day,look thru the posts and you will see the damn curr spinning twisting as usual :mad: :mad: ................good luck Mike

Mike said:

Mike you were next door and didn't call or stop by...I'm sure you were busy. Did you take some game off our hands???

Glad you had a good trip--

TTB

Mike,
DIDDO!!!!!!!!
Did you get that antelope???
Any saddle sores you'd like to tell us about? :p
How did you decide to go home??
Not only was it a blast meeeting you, but enjoyed that Dave as well.

Haymaker- I see it's the same ole-same ole.

TTB-I'm sorry I didn't get by to see you but it was so busy I'm amazed at what we did find time to do! Yep, brought a little game back home. The Lindskov's at Firesteel Creek Lodge treated us like kings. Helped Brent gather pairs for weaning two days out of my three.

Katrina- Wasn't sore at all after two days riding. I did get an antelope, went pheasant hunting, and got some sharptails too. Thanks for the Choke Cherry Jelly! I opened one jar at the local cafe in Isabel, passed it around at breakfast and everyone raved over it. The jar was empty when I got it back. Thanks!

Oh yeah! I like to have froze last Wednesady morning.

Faster horses said:
Mike, glad you had a good trip.

Next time, you are invited to Montana so we can treat you the same way!

If your hospitality is anything like S.D.'s, you can count on me visiting one day!

Mike,

Thanks for stopping by last week. I only wish I could have been there, but I am sure Dad did just as good if not better than I could have done. I sure hope you enjoyed yourself.

Mike,

Glad to hear you had a good time in SD. You certainly spent it in good company. I have known BT for many years although I don't get to see him as much as I used to. I doubt a progressive forward thinker like BT spends much time blaming packers or Canadian imports.

You should have seen some nice fall colors in those Grand River Breaks.

You are right, not much has changed around here. Haymaker is still searching for the fountain of intelligence, Randy is still blaming packers, and Sandhusker is still being deceptive. All functions normal!

~SH~

BRG said:
Mike,

Thanks for stopping by last week. I only wish I could have been there, but I am sure Dad did just as good if not better than I could have done. I sure hope you enjoyed yourself.

I really enjoyed meeting your Dad and looking at your great cattle and bulls. I guess he told you about the little mishap.......hope the truck came out of it OK! Your brother is a fine, hardworking and knowledgeable cattleman also! We sure enjoyed the morning. Please tell them I said so.
Hope the sale does great too!

~SH~ said:
Mike,

Glad to hear you had a good time in SD. You certainly spent it in good company. I have known BT for many years although I don't get to see him as much as I used to. I doubt a progressive forward thinker like BT spends much time blaming packers or Canadian imports.

You should have seen some nice fall colors in those Grand River Breaks.

You are right, not much has changed around here. Haymaker is still searching for the fountain of intelligence, Randy is still blaming packers, and Sandhusker is still being deceptive. All functions normal!
~SH~

Scott, Your name came up between BT and I. Hope your ears weren't burning too much! :wink: He was wondering why you haven't been to his sale in a few years. Not only to buy but for the fellowship also.

There were lots of people I didn't get around to seeing/meeting but so little time...................

The scenery around the Grand River was magnificent! as were the mulies!

Ya Dad told me about the mud. He was a little embarrased. I thought it was rather funny.

I will tell them what you said, they will be glad to hear it.

Hope to see you down the raod, and stop by next time you are up in the area.

You should come back and go pheasant hunting this fall.

Thanks again.

Mike,

If I was shopping for Charolais bulls, I would use L/T genetics, without question. I have nothing but respect and admiration for the L/T program and have followed their program since they bought an interest in "Polled Unlimited". Their bulls get a little cashy at times for the better ones. I just went Simmental instead due to the replacement heifers. BT and LL are always looking forward. Yeh I'm sure you saw some nice mulies particularly from horseback. No greater way to see the world is there? Glad you had a good time. I spent many days as a youngster hunting sharptailed grouse along the Grand River breaks in the Little Eagle and Trail City areas. Got chased out of Little Eagle once for "dooring" a reservation dog. LOL! We have bought Johnson/Rose angus bulls for many years and really like their breeding program. They are also from that area.

~SH~

Sorry I didn't know you were in our neck of the woods.If you were pulling a trailer I could haye sent you home with a "home raised Hereford bull." :D :D :D

Juan said:
Sorry I didn't know you were in our neck of the woods.If you were pulling a trailer I could haye sent you home with a "home raised Hereford bull." :D :D :D

Sorry I didn't have more time to visit Juan. Yep, I was pulling a trailer and I would have brought that Hereford bull home too! I have a neighbor in need of one this fall. See you next time.
Mike

Andy said:
Mike you were within 10 miles and you didn't even stop. How did the calves look at L/T? Brent and Les run very good operations.

I wish I had known where you were Andy. I would have stopped in a heartbeat. I hinted around to you before we left but thought you didn't want to be bothered. We dropped Rio off at Dakota Sire and went to Chamberlain and spent the night. Next morning we spent with Lowell Peterson looking at his calves, then headed for Isabel.

If you are down around Mitchell stop in and check on Rio for me, would you? The "Bluegrass" bull and "Gridmaker" are there also. I kinda feel funny about that place somehow. We stopped back in on the way home too.

Brent's calves look great! He says it's the best crop he's ever had, and I believe him. They are thick -thick - thick! He called me after I got home and said he had some over 900# when they weighed Friday. Got my eye on one for next year's sale.

His angus calves looked good also. We gathered those pairs on Thursday. Not quite as heavy as the Chars though.

Next time we will stop.

I didn't pickup the hints, been pretty busy. I will stop in and check on Rio. John runs a very good operation there and i think Rio will be fine. You will have to stop in on your next trip.

Gee, I didn't you guys actually had nice conversations over here :wink: I just popped in out of curiosity. Glad you had a nice trip.

Latest posts