• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Bad Luck

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Northern Rancher

Reaction score
Megan lost her Poco Bueno granddaughter foaling some time in the last week since we moved west with that bunch. First mare I've ever lost at foaling and it had to be the best bred one we've ever owned. She's got daughters and granddaughters in the bunch so she's replaced herself many times over.

P1010715.jpg

Here's Sandy Poco Tab with one of her foals. She had an interesting beginning I found her on an outfit as a short yearling-she'd pawed out all winter after being weaned at three months. Was in terrible rig-I bought her and a half sister for not much as they were about half dead. Got them home and wormed them then just let them be horses for a couple years. She grew up to be a pretty solid brood mare-pretty but slow.

That's too bad. A good mare is hard to replace.
We had a Poco Bueno/Doc Bar/Gunsmoke stud that turned out some of the nicest ranch cutting horses and good general saddle horses we've ever had.

Megan has a yearling stud colt off her come to think of it-she's got a daughter out of a Doc's Jack Frost son out of a Solano Peppy San mare-we never got her registered the stud's owners skipped the country and never filed a breeding report.

We always halterbreak foals the first winter and then run them in the coulees until they are 3. I can say this for Gunsmoke horses, they will never fall down with you when they are raised this way, but they can sometimes plant your A$$ pretty good when they are learning. :lol:

Sorry for your loss---Loss usually brings change and I hope it will for you !! :)

Our thoughts are with you. Its hard to lose a faithful animal.
Best to remember the good times they gave us so freely and be thankful we had them as long as we did. Chin up . Better days ahead

sorry to hear of your loss. we've had to put a couple of our favorites down in the last several years. its a tuff deal, no matter how you lose them. at least your mare has some offspring in the herd, hopefully seeing them will lift your spirits. you never forget the good ones........

Latest posts