• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Badgers. cows & TB

Help Support Ranchers.net:

kolanuraven

Reaction score
Kill a Badger, Save a Cow?
By Michael Schirber
ScienceNOW Daily News
15 December 2005

In response to an escalating outbreak of bovine tuberculosis, the U.K. government announced today that it will expand cattle testing and open a 12-week public consultation on badger culling. The announcement coincides with a new nation-wide study that finds that although badgers can spread the disease to cows, culling in some cases makes the problem worse.
Bovine tuberculosis (TB) was a major problem in the first half of the last century in the United Kingdom, infecting up to 40% of dairy cows in the 1930s. About 2000 humans died per year from bovine TB, largely from drinking unpasteurized milk. A policy of testing and slaughtering of infected animals brought the disease under control by the 1960s, but the number of outbreaks in the last three decades has been rising exponentially, according to a recent government report. The U.K. currently spends about $160 million a year combating the disease.

One approach is to kill European badgers (Meles meles), which can contract bovine TB. But conservationists have argued that transmission to cattle is unproven. In response to these uncertainties, the government set up the random badger culling trial in 1998. Preliminary results published in 2003 showed that culling of badgers on and around an infected farm actually increased the number of new cattle infections.

To understand this counterintuitive result, the researchers have now analyzed data on large-scale, indiscriminate culling over 100 square kilometers. These latest results, published online yesterday by Nature, show a 19% decrease of TB incidence in cattle in cull areas vs. no-cull areas-definitively drawing a causal link between badgers and cattle, the team says.

However, when the researchers looked at farms within 2 kilometers of a cull area, they found a 29% increase in TB incidence relative to farms adjacent to no-cull areas. Although the reason is not yet understood, epidemiologist Christl Donnelly of Imperial College London and her co-authors found that culling tends to make the remaining badgers roam more widely. In a paper in the Journal of Applied Ecology--also released online yesterday--the group proposes that this altered behavior exposes more cattle to badgers.

Farming groups say the results confirm that culling can work, while conservationists say the net benefit is too small to continue the practice. But even culling over a larger area "will not cure the problem, only slow it down," says biologist Timothy Roper of the University of Sussex. He says more cattle testing will help, as will a TB vaccine for badgers, which he says is 5 years away.

Related site

TB site of the U.K. Department for Environment, Food, and Rural Affairs

Big Muddy rancher said:
I vote for Haymaker for Badger vaccinater. :cowboy:

I will be glad to vacinate em with my ole Ruger .270 :wink: ..............good luck saskatchewan sissie :D

BadgerChapterII008.jpg

Here's one Ty vaccinated at 4 yards lol-they met on the top of a dugout bank.

Not tryin' to start a fight here, but why would anyone want to shoot a badger, other than just the zest for killing?

I don't shoot badgers or even skunks, unless they come into the yard. From what studying I have done, seems like badger, skunks and even coyotes and fox are pretty good at getting mice, voles and other little pests.

Some years back when the grasshoppers were so thick, they were doing stomache content studies on coyotes they were trapping and shooting, and found that the stomaches were full of grasshoppers.

I know that our cats are "hell on hoppers" when we have a grasshoppers year.

I shoot them cause of the mess they make when they get in the yards and around the working corral. I also broke my ankle and heel cause I stepped in a big old grassed over hole that was covered in snow.

Faster you've obviously never went on a fart knocker off a horse because of a badger hole lol. We don't piuson our gophers so we have lots of them and lots of badgers so teen age boys hunting is the way we control them-as for skunks-they are the biggest rabies carriers up here. We had an old female badger raise a litter in one field now thoses were cute little suckers. A funny thing that happened a few years back when the Beaver River flooded-the water was coming up the dikes ans just blasting out all the holes the badgers had dug in them. They are actually a very hard animal to get they don't stay around long-we treat them like yotes we shoot the odd one but we don't wipe them out-an hour walk with the gopher poison would do that.

JB, I shoot whatever varmints I can including badgers, whenever I have the "vaccinator" with me, which I usually don't! I don't like the holes the badgers dig in hayfields and pastures, even in the hard packed road. I'll also shoot skunks, coon, and porcupines if I get the chance.

I have to admit since the chicken raising era I've never had a skunk actually do much actual harm except to stink up things if they are living around the buildings.

My deer hunters got a coyote while they were here this year. They didn't shoot at another coyote because it would have scared away the deer they were after. My neighbor with sheep who lives about halfway between us says he tells his hunters that shooting the coyote is a priority over getting the deer! :D

Latest posts